PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted 1994 Touring

Bruce H
05-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Is anyone familiar with a Marina Auto in Venice, CA. I'm out here on business and saw a 1994 Touring on the lot. The asking price was high, and it appeared to be a 1995 as it had dual airbags and the '95 sidemarkers on the fenders. Might go back and look at it again if I thought the price would come down and the lot is reasonably honest. Any thought from those out here in the LA area?

Bruce H
05-15-2007, 11:30 AM
No takers. Hmmm... Everyone going over to look at it today I'll bet.:D

Tiger
05-15-2007, 11:48 AM
LOL... get some edmunds.com and nadaguides.com pricing for that car and go negotiate with the dealer. I would test drive and make sure everything is working before negotiating.

Bruce H
05-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Yea, Checked out Kelly Blue Book and the asking was high for out here. KBB was aprox. 1K higher in CA than back home. Dealer says it is a one owner - then sold to BMW mechanic who need to sell it for money. Dealer is one that offers to buy cars. Not a unique story, from what I have been told over the years all cars on the lot have this type of story. Must be a lot of BMW mechanics. Under the hood there was a 2 yr old radiator, newer hoses, AC hose etc. They had BMW stickers on them, so maybe for once it is actually true. All the normal, used car dealer issues apply. I was hoping that someone might know the dealer, or perhaps other things about Southern CA cars I should know.

txp135
05-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Dealers are not to be trusted. They get cars in that they have to get rid of. Sometimes even the sales people do not know what problems the cars have, they are assured that the car has gone through the shop. I would pull a carfax, then go test drive it. Then wait for the dealer to call (if they are that type of dealer). Make a low offer (you can always raise your offer later) about 3 to 4 grand under their asking price. Don't be shy. If the price start to come down within reasons, ask them to alllow you to take it to a mechanic.

If the car needs something, ask them to knock it off the agreed price. They will sell the car if they make some profit, but they will act like they are making nothing. Don't show them you are only interested in that particular car. Don't go to car lots that have a fixed price and you can't negotiate, because you actually end up paying more! GL

Evan
05-15-2007, 02:53 PM
great advice

i worked in car dealers for three years... the thievery would boggle your mind (no offense ed)

Bruce H
05-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Well work has not allowed me the time to even go back to look it over. It doesn't look like it will be letting up, but if it ever does can someone recommend a mechanic who could give it a look see out here? I'm staying in the Hermosa Beach area ( near the Redondo pier) and the car was up in the Venice area.