PDA

View Full Version : :: Don't you hate it when your car toys with you?

Qube
05-14-2007, 01:32 PM
I promised her that I would never go through another automatic car wash.

So two weeks ago (old story), I get the ticket and pull up to the keypad just before the wash. I'm already on the automatic drive rails. I open the window and key in the coupon code. Car starts to roll in.

WINDOW DOESN'T CLOSE! All power to windows, sunroof, dead.

Starting to panic, I turn off the car and start her up again, window closes. Whew. All right. no more automatic washes.

This isn't the first time it's happened. Usually it fixes itself. I have a new fusible link, but haven't put it in yet.

dacoyote
05-14-2007, 02:09 PM
She knows better then to let you take her in there....

LunatiC
05-14-2007, 06:53 PM
It's a sign, Qube!

Ever since I owned my E34 (I'm the third owner), I have never taken it myself through an auto-wash. I guess it has only been a couple of times, when my car was serviced by the local dealer (the car wasn't the only thing that was 'serviced') and when my car was repaired. Both times the car didn't come out as clean compared to when I hand-wash my car at those self-serve car washing places.

Podmore
05-14-2007, 08:04 PM
We call them "scratch & go" car washes in the trade. Sure fire way to stuff your paint if you use them regularly. Do the car a favour and wash by hand - especially if you have dark paint. The auto car washes trap fine grit in the fronds of the brushes which act just like sand paper ....

Qube
05-14-2007, 09:58 PM
I only use the touchless ones if I do. Afterwards, I use a wet&wax with two towels... then I blacken the trim and tires with Zanio. Next week will be the spring clay bar, polish and seal fun.