PDA

View Full Version : Auto Tran: A / M switch

///Sniper535
05-13-2007, 10:30 PM
The Story:
I found a prettier wood shifter cover at the junkyard, so i decided to take it and replace my older crappier looking one. When I took the old one out, i saw that the connector has electrical tape on it. I thought to myself, that's not OEM. So i pried the connector off the switch and tranfered all the components to the new cover. Then i realized that my car was in M mode and it wouldn't switch back to Automatic(E) mode. So i looked at the connector again and i noticed i pulled two wired off it. There are 5 wires, 3 in a row and 2 in a row. I pulled the 2 in a row. I didnt remember where exactly they went so i assumed the ground went on the inside spot and the other on the outside. I added electrical tape to push down on all the wires.

Problem
Fixed the Auto and Manual mode but i drove at night and saw that the A and M where not illuminated.

Anyone have and experience with this?

Rus
05-13-2007, 11:33 PM
The illumination is provided by a single orange bulb in center of the switch. To restore illumination you have two options:
1) Replace the switch
2) Change the bulb inside or replace it with a small LED.

Since you said you've pulled the wires out of the connector, it would be a good idea to double check that all contacts are firmly inserted before tearing into the switch. I replaced the bulb in mine with an orange LED. If you can find them in 3mm size, you should be able to easily fit it in the switch. I think I got a 5mm LED and had to do quite a bit of filing on it to get it installed. HTH

Ferret
05-15-2007, 04:03 AM
The Story:
I found a prettier wood shifter cover at the junkyard, so i decided to take it and replace my older crappier looking one. When I took the old one out, i saw that the connector has electrical tape on it. I thought to myself, that's not OEM. So i pried the connector off the switch and tranfered all the components to the new cover. Then i realized that my car was in M mode and it wouldn't switch back to Automatic(E) mode. So i looked at the connector again and i noticed i pulled two wired off it. There are 5 wires, 3 in a row and 2 in a row. I pulled the 2 in a row. I didnt remember where exactly they went so i assumed the ground went on the inside spot and the other on the outside. I added electrical tape to push down on all the wires.

Problem
Fixed the Auto and Manual mode but i drove at night and saw that the A and M where not illuminated.

Anyone have and experience with this?

Wait, what?

You guys have manual mode on your auto boxes?

How does that work?

shogun
05-15-2007, 05:48 AM
There are different switches.
M-A
or
S-E-M

Depnds on built year, AGS/EGS ....

Ferret
05-15-2007, 06:39 AM
There are different switches.
M-A
or
S-E-M

Depnds on built year, AGS/EGS ....

I've not seen an E34 here with an A-M box before...

Fred/Houston
05-15-2007, 08:42 AM
My 94' 540i has it too. I thought everyones did?
lol
Fred/Houston

DaveVoorhis
05-15-2007, 08:51 AM
There's plenty of 'em here. Some have it and some don't.

mikeythekidd
05-15-2007, 10:49 AM
Mine has it but i doesn't do dick!

Tiger
05-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Mine have it too

Tiger
05-15-2007, 11:32 AM
When I got mine, it didn't do a thing either. I took the switch apart and clean it up. Works afterward. Oxidation on the switch prevent it from working.

Denton
09-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but what kind of bulb does the A/M switch take?

Just want a stock look.