PDA

View Full Version : Burlwood is cracking

Gooch
05-06-2004, 07:59 PM
The wood on my 2 front doors is full of cracks. Today I get in the car and find the wood around my stick shift is cracked. Anyone else having this problem?

DueyT
05-06-2004, 08:26 PM
I have a slight crack around the shifter boot and a small crack on the trigger of my Getrag 6-shooter! :D

Cheers,
Duey

kiNGMak
05-06-2004, 11:03 PM
my shifter wood is cracked.. alot

KenB
05-07-2004, 05:46 AM
The wood on my 2 front doors is full of cracks. Today I get in the car and find the wood around my stick shift is cracked. Anyone else having this problem?

The wood trim on my drivers door is cracked also. Anyone know how to fix it?

AllanS
05-07-2004, 07:56 AM
ditto on that

G Feller
05-07-2004, 08:36 AM
Although cracked, it still holds together fine. I figure my only options are ordering expensive factory replacement or making it myself (I know one or two on the board have done this or are thinking about doing it).

I think one issue here is that as hard as we try, very few of us will be able to keep our cars (the youngest of which are 10 years old) looking perfect indefinitely. I for one won't mind having a few faults in my 25-year-old daily driver, especially since I know that even in 2019 it will still keep pace with or beat most everything on the road, and it will still look good.

ditto on that

scott540
05-07-2004, 09:06 AM
I heard my shifter knob crack when it did it. POP. freaked me out

Jason
05-07-2004, 09:17 AM
My grandfather, who is a pretty experienced woodworker, thinks it would be tough to sand it down and get a finish as good as what the factory did so i should just leave it alone.. any thoughts?

Hector
05-07-2004, 10:32 AM
I'm finally able to use some play money to buy a burlwood shift knob and now I find out it cracks. Anyone know what the lifetime is?

Jon K
05-07-2004, 10:53 AM
I'm finally able to use some play money to buy a burlwood shift knob and now I find out it cracks. Anyone know what the lifetime is?

~10 years??

RobPatt
05-07-2004, 11:03 AM
www.exoticwooddash.com

AZ_Jason_S
05-07-2004, 12:38 PM
There stuff is pretty cheap looking. I went to see them because they do a custom "carbon fiber look" I considered covering my wood with. There stuff is all a film that they cover your pieces with. The "carbon fiber look" stuff appears just OK. It doesn't have that deep 3D look of real CF, it looked fake. I thought my BMW OE wood trim was fake until the guy at exoticwooddash told me it was real. I don't have the heart to cover my real wood with some bogus fake stuff.

www.exoticwooddash.com

RobPatt
05-07-2004, 01:45 PM

AllanS
05-07-2004, 02:59 PM
Ya know, come to think of it, EVERY wood piece has a crack somewhere on the lacquer... hmmm

Tder
05-07-2004, 10:54 PM
I'm not sure if its here or on the roadfly E34 board, but there's a very well written descrption on how to refinish your woodgrain trim I found last year in the archives. It is indeed the clearcoat lacquer thats cracking and not the wood itself.

I believe you first strip the lacquer off it and then you must sand and then restain. It seemed like a lot of work, but doable... perhaps even easy if you're a woodworker or deal with boats. Not sure if I'll go this route or just repalce it (not cheap).

Tom Der
North Hampton, NH
90 535iM
91 M3

My grandfather, who is a pretty experienced woodworker, thinks it would be tough to sand it down and get a finish as good as what the factory did so i should just leave it alone.. any thoughts?