PDA

View Full Version : Put in new headlights, killed alternator somehow?

colo525i
05-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Put in my euro ellipsoids today and noticed that while aiming them the light seemed dim. Started the car and it seemed to get better. Realized i left the cooling duct for the alternator out. Stopped to put it in, not enough power to start had to roll start the car. It is acting like i somehow cooked the voltage regulator, any ideas or other things to check? The wiring to the lights seems fine, not hot or anything, and no blown fuses that i can see.

Update: also realized that my electric fan wasn't engaging yesterday in traffic (had to cut off the a/c to keep the temp in check) Could it have been short on power then?

632 Regal
05-13-2007, 04:46 PM
whats test 9 say as for voltage on the OBC?

colo525i
05-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Completely forgot about this, my volt meter was 60 miles from here. Got a reading of about 12.5 running, never over 13V and around 12 at idle and sinking slowly. Seemed to get lower as the car warmed up. I am thinking voltage regulator/brushes.

632 Regal
05-13-2007, 07:05 PM
sounds right, mine suddenly did the same thing. It has been fine since but I picked up a new alternator and need to put it in. Should be good for another 200k.

Completely forgot about this, my volt meter was 60 miles from here. Got a reading of about 12.5 running, never over 13V and around 12 at idle and sinking slowly. Seemed to get lower as the car warmed up. I am thinking voltage regulator/brushes.

colo525i
05-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Voltage regulator didn't fix it. Voltage got up to high 13s when cold then dropped. Makes me think a winding is broken and opens up when hot.

632 Regal
05-16-2007, 12:16 AM
or a diode on crack, im glad I splurged for the whole unit, on the 3.0 I dont want to mess around for nothing, dont look the easiest to remove and replace.

Voltage regulator didn't fix it. Voltage got up to high 13s when cold then dropped. Makes me think a winding is broken and opens up when hot.

bmwrp8
05-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Put in my euro ellipsoids today and noticed that while aiming them the light seemed dim. Started the car and it seemed to get better. Realized i left the cooling duct for the alternator out. Stopped to put it in, not enough power to start had to roll start the car. It is acting like i somehow cooked the voltage regulator, any ideas or other things to check? The wiring to the lights seems fine, not hot or anything, and no blown fuses that i can see.

Update: also realized that my electric fan wasn't engaging yesterday in traffic (had to cut off the a/c to keep the temp in check) Could it have been short on power then?

I have the same reading sometimes at night my obc reads 11.20-11.58V changed the voltage regulator and all is nrmal...14 on warmups and 12-13V normal

colo525i
05-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Replaced the whole alternator w/ a reman unit. Still only 12.5 volts to the battery. Is there anything else that could be causing this lack of charging? As i understand it even if your battery is completely toast, a good alternator will pump out 14 volts at speed. Pulling my hair out over this one, any help is appreciated. :D

632 Regal
05-19-2007, 09:42 PM
you arent kidding are you? If the battery has shorted cells it could possibly be the draw but that would be pretty rare.

Replaced the whole alternator w/ a reman unit. Still only 12.5 volts to the battery. Is there anything else that could be causing this lack of charging?