PDA

View Full Version : To Repaint or Not to Repaint?

GoldenOne
05-11-2007, 04:21 PM
that is the question...

Well the story goes like this:

The city was mowing the weeds around the old railroad track infront of my indy's shop. Apparently they were using new machines which didnt have chain guards so on the pass going back the mower went over some rocks and high speed rock chucking ensued.

Needless to say my car along with others got hit in the rear and some damage on the sides. I dealed with the city risk manager, adjusters, and "independent" appraisers and all that jazz and trying to settle on a final figure (should be around $1900 + rental). The rear quarter panels, trunk, rear bumper, and a couple doors are included in the repair but my concern is that those parts will be noticeably different then the rest of the car. I got some legal advice and was hoping I could push for them to repaint the car but they are only responsible for repainting what was damaged.

Granted the rest of the car is above average for 15 yr. old paint and I know I can get front/rear bumper, trunk, and sideskirts sprayed for 500 and have the rest of the car wetsanded and buffed for 300 then pocket the rest. Then again I was quoted from one shop 2300 to do the whole car.

My question to you guys is "what would you do?"

txp135
05-11-2007, 04:43 PM
How much do you love your car? Can you get another one for $2300 with better paint job and sell your car to fix up the other car?

Evan
05-11-2007, 04:43 PM
remove ALL the trim and lights... handles, bumper covers, mirrors, cowling, windshield trim... and repaint in original color.

I did the same thing last year and I'm very happy

GoldenOne
05-11-2007, 05:35 PM
love it too much to sell it, plus ive got too much invested

repenttokyo
05-11-2007, 07:27 PM
I had the right side of my car done last week and the front bumper rebuilt due to previous owner's parking lot indiscretions. The newly painted side looks amazing, but it's a perfect colour match for the original paint everywhere else, and you only notice the fact that it's shinier and lacking the rock chips of the original paint. Like you said, if I had the car buffed, the paint would shine everywhere and all you would notice is rock chips.

What I guess I am saying is that a quality paintshop will blend so well that you will not see where the new paint ends and the old paint begins.

ThoreauHD
05-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Repaint the whole car and make up the difference from your own pocket. You can nickel and dime the city later for a repaint. Get it done right or else it'll be a **** glob no matter how much money they give you. See beyond the now, grasshopper.

repenttokyo
05-11-2007, 10:31 PM
If he gets it done at a good paint shop there's no danger of anything becoming a "**** glob"....

GoldenOne
05-11-2007, 10:53 PM
yeah, i wouldnt dare to take it to like maaco or any equivalent...

Evan
05-12-2007, 01:32 PM
I took my car to the paint shop the local BMW dealer uses. I went through hell with them.

It doesn't matter where you take your car... be highly specific about what you want & make sure you get every detail in writing.