PDA

View Full Version : Getting crud off the windows

Kibokojoe
05-11-2007, 10:11 AM
PO used some kind of cleaner that left a residue on the tinted side of the glass. I started trying to clean it with windex...no good. Alcohol..no good. Finally tried some simple green but it takes like 5 minutes of rubbing to clean as 2" spot. There has got to be a better way. When I rub the crud long enough it turns to a powder and wipes off. I am thinking it maybe wax of some kind. Is there anyway of getting this off quickly? How about bug remover (turpentine)? I could try acetone but I will have to be very careful not to get it on anything else, and what about the effect on the tint. This crud is only on the side windows. Not on the windsheild or rear window.

Evan
05-11-2007, 10:18 AM
scrape it off with a razor

repenttokyo
05-11-2007, 10:33 AM
scrape it off with a razor

not a bad plan, but it could also remove his tint.

E34N
05-11-2007, 10:45 AM
Because you have tint film (don't believe older BMWs offered tinted glass), you are pretty limited to the milder type of chemicals. Any type of harsh chemicals will most likely ruin/affect the tint. Simple green is probably the way you have to go. Might also try various 'orange' cleaning agents.. a lot of times those work well on oily type of substances

Or have you tried hot water/sponge? If it's a wax.. it might help.

Tiger
05-11-2007, 01:30 PM
The tint is ruined... replace them. Never ever use any kind of solvent on tinted windows... zero.

To clean tinted window, you take one quart of water and 1 teaspoon of Joy in a spray bottle. This solution works for all glass regardless of location... house or car... nor tinted or not.

attack eagle
05-11-2007, 03:23 PM
I've used eagle 20/20 + Viva paper towels (softest I've found) sucessfully for several years now. I smoked in my previous car, (NOT IN THE BMW!)
my procedure is as follows.
WEt glass well with cleaner and wipe off with a paper towel, taht will remove almost everythign but a film.
To clean the film off, spray the 20/20 on the paper towel itself and wipe window down well, once it dries to a haze, buff it off with a clean very slightly damp papertowel, turning frequently. When I say buff i mean it, adn when I say slightly damp I mean it.
It pulls smoke film off the glass, so it should work for whatever you have on there..

Kibokojoe
05-11-2007, 07:26 PM
I finally got the goo off the windows. I used simple green and elbow grease. Followed up the mothers wax and they look pretty good.

Ross
05-12-2007, 07:02 AM
0000 steel wool and acetone.

Kibokojoe
05-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Won't acetone eat the tint?

Qube
05-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Goo gone :)

Kibokojoe
05-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Oh yeah never thought of this stuff. Wonder what is in it. Could use it to clean the black crap around the edge of the door. Seals are breaking down and are a gooey mess

Ross
05-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Sorry, I must have missed the tint part. Yes I would oresume the acetone to eat the tint as will Goo Gone, steel wool not a good idea either for tint film.
You may need to strip the film and start over.

Chris'91'525i
05-14-2007, 08:33 PM
My favorite all purpose cleaner is a third of a cup each of White vinegar and ammonia to a gallon of distilled water.
Works excellent and is cheap to mix, it's especially good on glass.
For Cig smokers, it dissolves smoke residue almost instantly.