PDA

View Full Version : simple questions...

txp135
05-10-2007, 04:38 PM
I looked up the bentley/owner manuals as well as did a quick search(search came up with too many things unrelated). So please answer(provide link to) these questions even though they are very basic.

car is 95 540i6

1) Procedure for access to battery

2) Coolant (do I just go to the dealer or is there a better and cheaper source?)

3) "New crush washers" mentioned in bmwe34.net procedure is the same as "new sealing washers" mentioned in bentley? Again, do I just go to the dealer for this?

4) I need to invest money on a torque wrench, any recommendations?

5) Ramps (I'm thinking of buying a set to put under the tires as safety net when I'm under the car). What do you recommend?

6) Where the heck is the V-belt? The engine compartment is so tight I can't really see everything. Is it the belt right behind the big fan?

7) hydraulic jack. Which ones do you guys have? I know a lot of people want "AC hHydraulic" but they are expensive. I looked up the craftsman at sears and they all have bad reviews. I did brakes on a honda accord last week and the damn chasis was so stiff the whole side of the car tilt even though I'm only jacking up the front corner, I expect the same with the e34, so I suppose I will need one of these jacks. If there are no decent ones available I might have to bite the bullet and shell out $600 for one.

8) How do I make adjustments to the hood? it's squeaking when opening and is a little crooked when closed.

Thank you so much.

Ross
05-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Battery is under the back seat on the pass side, just yank it up.
Coolant is a controversial subject here, blue is the consensus.
Yes
Cheap tools are a waste
Ramps suck, use stands
See 4
Sorry I haven't adjusted my hood, Bentley ought to cover it. Lube the hinges first, it may just be sticking causing the misalignment.

txp135
05-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Thank you. Could you please mention the tools you're using? Do I get the "blue" coolant at dealer? As far as the ramps, I did mentioned I want to use them as safety net, which means the car is on stands.

Battery is under the back seat on the pass side, just yank it up.
Coolant is a controversial subject here, blue is the consensus.
Yes
Cheap tools are a waste
Ramps suck, use stands
See 4
Sorry I haven't adjusted my hood, Bentley ought to cover it. Lube the hinges first, it may just be sticking causing the misalignment.

DaveVoorhis
05-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Could you please mention the tools you're using?
Hammer, big: Qty 1 (one).

indymdm
05-10-2007, 05:44 PM
i only use craftsmen becuase if they brake lifetime warrenty and for coolant autozone sells gx-5 coolant i always use and if your using ramps and stands the jack doesnt matter as long it has a good lift capacity

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-10-2007, 05:52 PM
you'll need both for different tasks.

I just use an old cheapo chinese hydro jack 2.5 ton

just lift the car one corner at a time

dacoyote
05-11-2007, 06:33 AM
2)Blue.. Dealer or BMA

4)Not Craftsman

5) This is a good idea.. however I will add my standard disclaimer of making sure someone is around.. it hurts when a car comes down

7) Something that isn't craftsman... I bought a craftsman spur of the moment.. waste of money. As for jacking up the car... I may get flamed for it.. but I am really partial to jacking the car up by the center, it's not nearly as hard on the frame.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/Tech/Jackpoints.jpg

*** Craftsman hand tools are ok..because when you break one you can get another. Everything else they make.. sucks (btw... torque wrenchdon't come with the warranty)

txp135
05-11-2007, 07:30 AM
Thank you very much. Maybe the easiest way to work on the car is when it's sideway like in the pic.

2)Blue.. Dealer or BMA

4)Not Craftsman

5) This is a good idea.. however I will add my standard disclaimer of making sure someone is around.. it hurts when a car comes down

7) Something that isn't craftsman... I bought a craftsman spur of the moment.. waste of money. As for jacking up the car... I may get flamed for it.. but I am really partial to jacking the car up by the center, it's not nearly as hard on the frame.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/Tech/Jackpoints.jpg

*** Craftsman hand tools are ok..because when you break one you can get another. Everything else they make.. sucks (btw... torque wrenchdon't come with the warranty)

dacoyote
05-11-2007, 07:32 AM
Thank you very much. Maybe the easiest way to work on the car is when it's sideway like in the pic.

It is very easy to work on the car... right till you need something from the driver side :-)

attack eagle
05-11-2007, 02:36 PM
I got my ramps at autozone or walmart some 5-6 years ago, the black plastic ones. I do NOT like or use metal ramps.