PDA

View Full Version : New warning message "trans program" ? 540ia

Brians540ia
05-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Has anyone seen this message before? Two days ago, the car started to get really sluggish when taking off from a stop, like it was in 3rd gear or something. Now I'm getting the warning. Any help would be much appreciated.
:(

Karl
05-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Trans Prog message means a malfunction in the transmission--could be valve body or synchros (major service). As a standard result of the malfunction the trans locks into 3rd. If you have the General Motors transmission, your local independent transmission shop should be able to do a rebuild.

darron525
05-06-2004, 06:47 PM
check this link ,http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/TransProgram.asp (http://)
It could be minor to major, but does not always mean your tranny is bad. I would get it from time to time, I would just pull over and turn the car off and resrart it and the code would be gone.
For me it was as simple as a bad battery not holding a charge. Put a new one in and haven't seen that message since.

darron

Has anyone seen this message before? Two days ago, the car started to get really sluggish when taking off from a stop, like it was in 3rd gear or something. Now I'm getting the warning. Any help would be much appreciated.

RobPatt
05-06-2004, 07:05 PM
... first got it when car sat for months and batt. charge went a bit low.... year or 2 later got it frequently, error message from computer (check control was trans program) said fluid pressure regulator. My indy said there was a bulletin about this, and put in a higher pressure, pressure regulator w/corresponding updated prom chip. that was a year ago, no problems since. just something to systematically work on.....
good luck, Rob.

tim s
05-06-2004, 09:09 PM
kirt is very knowledgeable on the 5hp30 auto tranny. i just bought one from him. i am very happy with it.

Full Name: Kirt Koeller
Job Title: ZF Transmission Expert
Company: Auto Sports Unlimited

Business: (800) 624-3876 ex 5735
Business 2: (616) 748-5735

E-mail: europetransman@hotmail.com

enjoy
tim s.

kuly95 540
05-07-2004, 07:23 AM
I have had several of these .......but after changed pcv plate @ back of motor no more messages? Worked for me but when and if happens again will get Kirk to rebuild valve body .Hope you have previously changed fluid and filter info here on using cheaper fluid about month ago but will have to think about that one....sometimes you "save a nickel to spend a dollar"

GoodLuck Kuly (I currently have 165,000Kms.)

Brians540ia
05-07-2004, 08:50 AM
:D

Trevor
05-11-2004, 06:55 AM
Ah the dreaded TRANS PROGRAM.
Had this 2 years ago when I bought my '89 535iA.
Traced all the possible electrical faults and eventually (after being faced wiht a $3500 trans rebuild) traced to reaplacing the speed or pulse sensor in the trans.
Total cost AUD$200.
Hwn you get TRAN PROGRAM, the trans goes in to "Limp mode" which isessentially 3rd gear.
My symptons only occurred about 20 mins after the trans warmed up.
Check the link as suggested to Bruno's site.
Good luck.

wasapppp
09-26-2004, 09:05 PM
... first got it when car sat for months and batt. charge went a bit low.... year or 2 later got it frequently, error message from computer (check control was trans program) said fluid pressure regulator. My indy said there was a bulletin about this, and put in a higher pressure, pressure regulator w/corresponding updated prom chip. that was a year ago, no problems since. just something to systematically work on.....
good luck, Rob.
Rob, what was the cost for this repair (higher pressure, pressure regulator w/corresponding updated prom chip). Do you recall where your indy saw the bulletin? :p