PDA

View Full Version : Rear/Center Exhaust

kring
05-10-2007, 07:00 AM
Hi all,

My '92 525i failed an inspection on Monday because the rear exhaust has a hole rusted through it. Ok, so I need a new rear exhaust. "Yes," the shop says, "that is $875 for the part. You also need a new center exhaust because we can't replace just the rear. The center exhaust is $400." This sounds like a scam to me (especially after checking BMA and seeing that I can get both the rear and center from them for less than $600), so I take it to another shop.

Well the second shop tells me almost the exact same thing, with almost the exact same prices. But this shop volunteered (even before I mentioned it) that I can probably get the parts much cheaper on the internet, and they'd be happy to install them for me (which should only take about an hour, they said).

That sounds like a good plan, so now I'm trying to figure out what to buy. I see that folks here tend to recommend Eberspaecher. I found Gale's page (http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_6.htm) and it seems to imply that what my shop calls rear and center are sometimes sold together as just a "rear" exhaust, even if there are two pieces. Specifically, I think I just need to buy this:

http://catalog.worldpac.com/zygmunt/quote.jsp?partner=zygmunt&year=1992&product=H5000-57504&application=000366681&clientid=bimmerparts.com&cookieid=22Z0KSA5222Z0KSHJ3&baseurl=http://www.bimmerparts.com/

(if that link causes problems, just go to www.bimmerparts.com and do a part # search for H5000-57504).

Does that seem correct? Does this part include both the rear and center portions? Is there anything else I'll need?

Thanks!
Kevin

Ferret
05-10-2007, 07:19 AM
especially after checking BMA and seeing that I can get both the rear and center from them for less than $600

I'm glad I've got the diesel now... I can get a full exhaust for about $200US here...

repenttokyo
05-10-2007, 07:27 AM
i had alonger post but the board ate it.

basically, get an aftermarket muffler and run pipe from the center to the muffler. it will give you the same sound and the same performance. there is no need to spend such a huge amount of money on an exhaust. any muffler shop could do this for between 200 and 300 bucks, even cheaper if you go for a generic universal muffler.

colo525i
05-10-2007, 07:50 AM
I'm replacing my exhaust after a really nasty icy winter took its toll on it. I thought i'd be hosed having to pay big $$. Call up the guys at koala motorsports in OH. They bought out some parts lots and are selling them. I got a cat back M50 exhaust from them for a GREAT price.

70383roadrunner
05-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Whatever you do stay away from the Ansa. I used them on my Audi and they were so loud I went back to factory muffler.

Tiger
05-10-2007, 09:39 AM
I had ansa muffler... didn't sound any louder than OEM

Tiger
05-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Autohausaz.com has both eberspaecher and ansa... both are under $550... $50 cheaper with Ansa.

70383roadrunner
05-10-2007, 10:10 AM
I had ansa muffler... didn't sound any louder than OEM

Maybe not on BMW but on Audi they sound horrible. Used the Boazl on my VW. A lot quieter than the Ansa!

kring
05-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Ok, I just talked to a guy at Zygmunt/bimmerparts.com, and he says that what other folks call the "center" they call the "front". So I need the 57503 in addition to the 57504 I mentioned above.

I ended up buying the Eberspaecher pair from autohausaz, though (thanks for the tip, Tiger). It was a little cheaper, they offered free shipping, and I don't have to pay PA sales tax. The total was $547.41.

repenttokyo
05-10-2007, 11:31 AM
i put a complete, custom bent dual exhaust 2.5 inch system, with mufflers and double x pipe on my last car for under 500 dollars. I can't see any reason to be paying upwards of that on mufflers alone for our cars, particularly the 6 cyl non M cars...

Tiger
05-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Welcome! Ya I know... our wallet matters...

Morgenster
05-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Before I got mine the PO had to fix the muffler. He replaced it with a unit he sourced in Germany and it cost him 120 euros. So these prices seem really excessive to me.

Tiger
05-10-2007, 12:15 PM
In US... it is all about freight fee... mufflers are expensive to ship to US and to all the distributors... with markups and added shipping fees that pays for itself since free shipping is offered plus the markup by end retailers.

It is expensive but considering how long it last... I think it is cheap... let's say 15 years on original muffler... and $550... that's pretty much $37 a year of service.