PDA

View Full Version : new Brembo rotors sound terrible!

Robert K
05-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Just got a set of replacement Brembo front rotors from BMA. I cleaned them with brake cleaner then put them on. I am using the Raybestos QS Ceramic pads that have been on the car for a couple of years now (great pads by the way). Anyway, within a day or two, I started getting a horrible noise when I did a medium to hard brake. It sounded like one or both rotors had a hard spot on them. A similar sound would be a bad front wheel bearing. Anyway, it sounded so bad I took them off and put the old ones back on. BMA suggested putting them back on and just running them for a week or two. They said some pad material needed to transfer to the rotors. Anyone have any additional info on this topic?

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-09-2007, 05:42 PM
hmmm, I wonder what could be causing that awful noise?

gmannino
05-09-2007, 05:46 PM
It sounds like you paired used pads with new rotors and with that, the surface of the pad will not exactly match that of the rotor, thus the cause of the noise. I would have left them on for a while to properly seat the pads even with the rotor.

I think there is also a "break-in" method but I cant remember if it relates to the rotors or pads. I would contact Brembo or Raybestos to see what they recommend when pairing used pads with new rotors.

Kibokojoe
05-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Using old pads with new rotors is never a good idea.

Just got a set of replacement Brembo front rotors from BMA. I cleaned them with brake cleaner then put them on. I am using the Raybestos QS Ceramic pads that have been on the car for a couple of years now (great pads by the way). Anyway, within a day or two, I started getting a horrible noise when I did a medium to hard brake. It sounded like one or both rotors had a hard spot on them. A similar sound would be a bad front wheel bearing. Anyway, it sounded so bad I took them off and put the old ones back on. BMA suggested putting them back on and just running them for a week or two. They said some pad material needed to transfer to the rotors. Anyone have any additional info on this topic?

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

winfred
05-09-2007, 06:44 PM
i've been seeing some **** brembos lately that make that nasty thump thump thump thump all the way to a stop with a medium to hard brake, raise hell with whoever you got them from and get another set to replace them, my best guess as to whats happening is a thickness variation and not a traditional warp

Rus
05-09-2007, 07:35 PM
i've been seeing some **** brembos lately that make that nasty thump thump thump thump all the way to a stop with a medium to hard brake, raise hell with whoever you got them from and get another set to replace them, my best guess as to whats happening is a thickness variation and not a traditional warp

If this is what the OP is really experiencing, then I went through the same horrifying noises. I think I was at fault though due to a rather harsh break-in (brakes didn't like it). I got a very abrupt thumping on medium and even light application of brakes. Upon inspection (read-complete disassembly) I found no faults and rode it out. Brake performance is great now after more than 3K miles on the rotors and pads. No abnormal noises at all (minus occasional squeak...gotta fix that). Just my $.02

P.S.: I have the same combo as Robert btw. Brembo rotors and Raybestos QS pads.

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-09-2007, 07:50 PM
all four corners and had no problems...but it was all new stuff.

winfred
05-09-2007, 07:58 PM
well when someone brings me a brake job and i give them a car that ****s up a couple days later it needs to be fixed now not later, on the first one a 95 525 i flogged the **** out of the brakes during testing eventually to the point they were turning purple, dial indicatored them before during and after and said **** it get me some more rotors and bang the problem is gone, the next one also on a 525 someone else supplied the rotors and did the install but we got the call when they ****ed up, the carquest that sold the rotors wanted to turn them (something i don't like to do on euro rotors) and we were getting paid either way so they got turned fixing the problem, but so far they have all been brembo brand rotors

I found no faults and rode it out. Brake performance is great now after more than 3K miles on the rotors and pads. No abnormal noises at all

Rus
05-09-2007, 08:15 PM
well when someone brings me a brake job and i give them a car that ****s up a couple days later it needs to be fixed now not later, on the first one a 95 525 i flogged the **** out of the brakes during testing eventually to the point they were turning purple, dial indicatored them before during and after and said **** it get me some more rotors and bang the problem is gone, the next one also on a 525 someone else supplied the rotors and did the install but we got the call when they ****ed up, the carquest that sold the rotors wanted to turn them (something i don't like to do on euro rotors) and we were getting paid either way so they got turned fixing the problem, but so far they have all been brembo brand rotors

Its disappointing to hear that about Brembo :( I've always considered them to be at least mid-range quality. Had I known that the issue I ran into was common, I would have definitely made an effort to get the rotors exchanged. Unfortunately, I was under the impression that my break-in caused the problem. I see what you mean about having the car repaired and working. That's the difference between a professional and a DIY repair.

632 Regal
05-10-2007, 12:56 AM
at least sand the brake pads flat before assembling to remove surface flaws. If that dont do it listen to the others and you could have bad rotors. I used Opparts rotors and they work very well for 20 bux a rotor.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

Robert K
05-10-2007, 04:49 AM
I had read on the forum that a number of people had gotten the Opparts rotors from BMA and had great luck with them, so that's what I ordered. However, when I opened the box, it had two large, sealed Brembo boxes in it. The machine work was very nice. However, I believe I'd also read that Brembo is sourcing rotors from lots of places in the far east. So hard telling what I've got here. I'll try them a little while longer than call BMA back if I continue to have problems with them.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i