PDA

View Full Version : m60 performance chip

Boone.Msi
05-09-2007, 11:56 AM
was discussing performance chips on BFC and the ebay seller Wokke_2000 name came up in the mix with some impressive #'s on his chips. What do you guys think about this, any experince with this guy?

Stock:

m60b30
215hp / 218bhp
214ft.lbs@4500 Rpm

m60b40
282hp / 286bhp
295ft.lbs@4500 Rpm

Wokke_2000's chip:

M60B30 (3.0l-V8) to about 239HP (DIN) and 320Nm(236.16 ft-lb's torque)

M60B40 (4.0l-V8) to about 326HP (DIN) and 480Nm(354.24 ft-lb's torque)

Those are some pretty impressive numbers, im tryin to find dyno results on roadfly but their threads are disgustingly sloppy and time consuming to sort through...

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e31/search.php?st=wokke&dosearch=Search!&ps=20&m=natural&o=datedesc

if anyone wants to help look, thats the roadfly link discussing his work.

link to complete thread:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738545

632 Regal
05-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Wokke is trustable and makes good chips. I bout a pair of them for the 8 and no problems.

Boone.Msi
05-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Do you believe those #'s? Pretty optimistic for the m60 compared to other makers, especially for the $175 price tag.

632 Regal
05-10-2007, 01:13 AM
no those are realistic figures with premium fuel. I felt a dramatic difference even tho the 8 is full of **** fuel. I haven't driven it enough to try premium yet .

Do you believe those #'s? Pretty optimistic for the m60 compared to other makers, especially for the $175 price tag.

TC535i
05-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Anybody got a line on a E32 740 ECU? I need one so I can put this chip in my car...

Sidney Rough-Diamond
05-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Those are some big number gains for a n/a engine. I'd be real tempted to buy one at the current exchnage rate if someone independent said they even saw another 25 bhp/25 ft-lb's.
Slightly o/t, but why does a big oil producing country seemingly sell such shite low grade gas ? Every US based car forum always speaks of low grade gas this and that.I don't get it.

E34 530
05-10-2007, 03:22 PM
If this is legit I'll get one right now. I won't have to change my ecu, correct?

e34musician
05-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Guys, if you decide to go for this, let me know the outcome. at $160, sounds like a good deal.

Is it only 1 chip needed for 530ia? I also heard about EML chip that improves throttle response. Do we need that too? or it doesn't apply for the 530i.

Boone.Msi
05-10-2007, 08:51 PM
maybe we could get a group buy going and some of us could do a before/after dyno run. I might be interested in purchasing one, as far as i know there is only 1 chip involved for the m60.

DABIMR
05-11-2007, 05:30 AM
I'll be in for a Group Buy.. Someone contact that guy. For that price and those gains (if legit) it's a steal.. Hmmm.. I may just get it anyway.. :)

Boone.Msi
05-25-2007, 06:57 PM
found some more numbers from roadfly and now on his auctions. Get ready to wet your pants...
3.0 m60
http://people.freenet.de/wokke/ebay/bmw530i-V8.jpg

4.0 m60
http://people.freenet.de/wokke/ebay/bmw840i.jpg

that equals out to 241hp and 236lb's torque for the 530i, so a 27 horsepower increase and 22lb's of torque increase. Not too bad, 4hp better than jim conforti/turner motorsport(23hp/23trq).

Im having a discussion on BFC if this guy "wolf" is using a "brake hp dyno" or Wheel horsepower dyno. Realistically we've come to believe these are break horsepower figures, but it isn't everyday someone goes out and test for hp to the crank...

I want to get 5-10 people to come together for a group buy, then i will contact him and ask if he will discount the price, shouldn't matter if you have a 540i or 530i. Be sure to include your production date to avoid ews problems.

What price should we gun for?

So...

1. Boone.msi/production date 08/1994 530i

Robin-535im
05-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Call me a skeptic... but I call BS on those graphs.

EXACTLY 43 NM of torque across the WHOLE RPM band? Looks more like he just did another pull and typed in a different real axle ratio. I have never seen that type of result - it is very hard to imagine there is 10% more torque available across the entire band just with a chip.

I would be curious to see if a customer had similar dyno's to show. For $150... there's cash left over for at least a before and after pull! :)

For reference - here are some links to dyno charts for a supercharger:
http://www.vf-engineering.com/

The supercharged e39 540 doesn't even break +40NM until 3000 RPM or so.

(drill down a bit through the BMW menu to find different engines... and no e34 applications unfortunately!!)

Boone.Msi
05-25-2007, 08:52 PM
I would be curious to see if a customer had similar dyno's to show. For $150... there's cash left over for at least a before and after pull!

Thats what im pulling for, a before and after dyno. Whats the average rate $50 an hour?

E34 530
05-25-2007, 11:44 PM
So in theory this chip pwns conforti, dinan, eat, etc? Is so, I'd be down for buying it. 1994 530ia Production date 4/93

Boom n Zoom
05-26-2007, 02:53 AM
http://www.vf-engineering.com/

The supercharged e39 540 doesn't even break +40NM until 3000 RPM or so.

(drill down a bit through the BMW menu to find different engines... and no e34 applications unfortunately!!)

Robin, you can get a kit for the e34's (540 and 530) from here http://www.esstuning.com/default.asp?c=shop&cat=93&subcat=180&id=

These are Vortec centrifical units that enhance the standard power curve from midrange to redline approx 3-3500 to 6500/7000 rpm, this is at least what I have read with respect to centrifical superchargers.

It also appears to be just about the only place that you can still buy a DIY kit from. It comes complete and can be removed with little trouble.

Interesting about the chips though, the dyno results will be very interesting to read. :)

Robin-535im
05-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the link - I didn't know there were any e34 kits out there.

BTW - did you get those e39 m5 throttle bodies?

kc540i6
05-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Hard to believe that type of gain with just a chip. Does he offer a money back guarantee? There is a limited number of parameters (timing, fuel map, etc) that he can tweek in a car of this vintage. I'd be very interested to see someone else's dyno numbers to see if they match.

Kevin

632 Regal
05-26-2007, 07:36 PM
his supplier/tuner has access to a dyno in Germany, so they can tune the cars on the fly to make the best possible performance. The JC chip is tuned under prime so that they are not responsible for someone damaging their engine from running sub grade fuels like 86 octane, and sue for a new engine.

Hard to believe that type of gain with just a chip. Does he offer a money back guarantee? There is a limited number of parameters (timing, fuel map, etc) that he can tweek in a car of this vintage. I'd be very interested to see someone else's dyno numbers to see if they match.

Kevin

Boone.Msi
05-26-2007, 08:28 PM
if the dyno's are true i would suspect he is also using the best grade possible. I also thought when swapping chips it was default to up your grade to US 91 octane or better?

Hell i use 93, so no worries here...

632 Regal
05-26-2007, 08:57 PM
I just ordered one, ebay item # 320117794420

if the dyno's are true i would suspect he is also using the best grade possible. I also thought when swapping chips it was default to up your grade to US 91 octane or better?

Hell i use 93, so no worries here...

DABIMR
05-27-2007, 08:42 AM
I emailed the seller, unfortunately it won't work with my ECU which ends in 484 (for the M60B40 engines).:( I'm guessing it's because of the EWS system?

It'll only work for ECU's with last 3 digits 404. So, make sure you check your ECU numbers before ordering.

Jehu
05-27-2007, 10:24 AM
I emailed the seller, unfortunately it won't work with my ECU which ends in 484 (for the M60B40 engines).:( I'm guessing it's because of the EWS system?

It'll only work for ECU's with last 3 digits 404. So, make sure you check your ECU numbers before ordering.

So you have an Alusil block like me then. I took mine in to Turner who's near by and they told me they couldn't make a chip for my ECU for the same reason but i emailed Wolf as well and while i didn't give him my ECU numbers i explained what i just have and he seemed puzzled that i had a non standard unit and asked for the numbers. I can't imagine this issue hasn't been dealt with before but MarkD said if i could read my chip and email him the data he could program a chip . I have yet to find what I'd need to read the chip. I talked to an Indy who's opinion was that in the 540 a tuned chip wouldn't do all that much as the system is already designed to take the fullest advantage of the advancing timing and fuel ratios anyway but it would of course be nice to at least get rid of the limiter.

Jehu
05-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Well i took my DME out and here are the nubers. Looks like i have a 404 unit but the chip is apparently non standard after the Alusil swap i assume the taped over paper in the corner refers thereto. I'll send it to Wolf and see what he says.
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/7045/dme004iw5.th.jpg (http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dme004iw5.jpg)

DABIMR
05-27-2007, 03:27 PM
So you have an Alusil block like me then. I took mine in to Turner who's near by and they told me they couldn't make a chip for my ECU for the same reason but i emailed Wolf as well and while i didn't give him my ECU numbers i explained what i just have and he seemed puzzled that i had a non standard unit and asked for the numbers. I can't imagine this issue hasn't been dealt with before but MarkD said if i could read my chip and email him the data he could program a chip . I have yet to find what I'd need to read the chip. I talked to an Indy who's opinion was that in the 540 a tuned chip wouldn't do all that much as the system is already designed to take the fullest advantage of the advancing timing and fuel ratios anyway but it would of course be nice to at least get rid of the limiter.

Actually, I have a Nikasil block.. Although, much like you MarkD also said he would need to send me an EPROM reader to get the file and then write code after that. I also checked on the Turner site and a similar situation; send the CPU in and a chip would be coded for the car. But yes, the limiter removal would be nice.:)

DABIMR
05-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Well i took my DME out and here are the nubers. Looks like i have a 404 unit but the chip is apparently non standard after the Alusil swap i assume the taped over paper in the corner refers thereto. I'll send it to Wolf and see what he says.

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/6374/dme003br3.th.jpg (http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dme003br3.jpg)
Well, if you have the "404" you might be in luck.. Damn you!!.:p

MarkD
05-28-2007, 11:48 AM
So you have an Alusil block like me then. I took mine in to Turner who's near by and they told me they couldn't make a chip for my ECU for the same reason but i emailed Wolf as well and while i didn't give him my ECU numbers i explained what i just have and he seemed puzzled that i had a non standard unit and asked for the numbers. I can't imagine this issue hasn't been dealt with before but MarkD said if i could read my chip and email him the data he could program a chip . I have yet to find what I'd need to read the chip.

I can send you the EPROM reader. Actually, this week I will be working on removing the EWS from the 540 chip for the 484 DME. I'll be doing it with the help of a 540i owner in Atlanta. I'm not sure if he is on this forum.

I talked to an Indy who's opinion was that in the 540 a tuned chip wouldn't do all that much as the system is already designed to take the fullest advantage of the advancing timing and fuel ratios anyway but it would of course be nice to at least get rid of the limiter.

Whoever that indy you talked to is, he is feeding you misinformation.

MarkD
05-28-2007, 11:50 AM

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/6374/dme003br3.th.jpg (http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dme003br3.jpg) http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/7045/dme004iw5.th.jpg (http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dme004iw5.jpg)

If you send your stock chip to Ohio I'll read it and make a custom chip for you. I can even send you a temporary chip to run the car during the time your chip is in transit.

Jehu
05-28-2007, 12:06 PM
What to do you think about the claims and graphs posted about Wolf's chips? I sent him these pics and he said based on seeing i have the 404 unit alone his chip would work. That leaves me somewhat confused since he's the only one who is saying he already has a chip to worki with the car but Turner turned me away alltogether and you say you'd need to read my existing chip. Is there any place i can read about why after getting a new block they used a different chip and so any modified chip needs to be based on that and that say Wolf's for instance might not work because without the data from the replaced chip his product might actually be harmfull or could have being in Germany already have the data used to produce the replacemnt chips for the Alusil blocks ? How much is a chip reader? I'd hate to have you send an expensive device thru the mail if i could buy one locally. Anyway I'll give it some thought over the coming week, Oh btw. Would the chip you would make for me remove the EWS or can you leave that in? I for some reason like the idea of being the only one able to start my car with my one and only key. Have people been running into problems with this by losing keys?

MarkD
05-29-2007, 08:37 PM
What to do you think about the claims and graphs posted about Wolf's chips? I sent him these pics and he said based on seeing i have the 404 unit alone his chip would work. That leaves me somewhat confused since he's the only one who is saying he already has a chip to worki with the car but Turner turned me away alltogether and you say you'd need to read my existing chip. Is there any place i can read about why after getting a new block they used a different chip and so any modified chip needs to be based on that and that say Wolf's for instance might not work because without the data from the replaced chip his product might actually be harmfull or could have being in Germany already have the data used to produce the replacemnt chips for the Alusil blocks ? How much is a chip reader? I'd hate to have you send an expensive device thru the mail if i could buy one locally. Anyway I'll give it some thought over the coming week, Oh btw. Would the chip you would make for me remove the EWS or can you leave that in? I for some reason like the idea of being the only one able to start my car with my one and only key. Have people been running into problems with this by losing keys?

I made a chip last week for the same software, but for the AUTO tranny. The owner loves it. Why don't you let me make a version for you after reading your chip? This can all be done inside a 2 week time frame.

Mark

Jehu
05-29-2007, 08:45 PM
I made a chip last week for the same software, but for the AUTO tranny. The owner loves it. Why don't you let me make a version for you after reading your chip? This can all be done inside a 2 week time frame.

Mark

well as of now its my only transportaion. I think I'll hold off for a hwile. I severely injured my back a week ago last saturday trying to force some frozen lug nuts,lifted the car up off the jack even.. I can't really even bend over long enough to get the DME in and out without screaming agony so i'll contact you when i can do this without howling in pain.

e34musician
07-18-2007, 08:41 AM
I just ordered one, ebay item # 320117794420

Jeff, have you got a chance to try this new chip?

Fetch
09-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Bump for Jeff....

632 Regal
09-03-2007, 07:09 PM
the chips dont work with the Auto 530 trans, same as Marks initial 530 chip. Mark is working on refining the current 530 chip I am running.
Bump for Jeff....

Pang
09-03-2007, 09:17 PM
I have the auto trans in my 530i and it runs fine.Being in Australia I use 98 octane and I have no problems.

Fetch
09-03-2007, 09:39 PM
I have the auto trans in my 530i and it runs fine.Being in Australia I use 98 octane and I have no problems.

You have wokke's chip installed? How much of a performance increase did you notice, compared to the advertised gains?

632 Regal
09-03-2007, 10:40 PM
the chip has definite gains but it dont work with the USA transmissions, seemd other countries are good with it.

You have wokke's chip installed? How much of a performance increase did you notice, compared to the advertised gains?

Fetch
09-03-2007, 10:47 PM
so it'd probably be fine with my manual I guess

Pang
09-04-2007, 02:10 AM
I installed the chip 2 months ago.It improved performance across the entire range.Wolf is a great bloke to deal with and at that price it is good value.How much improvement?, I couldn't honestly answer that without comparing it to another performance chip.