PDA

View Full Version : Wiper is hitting hood

Kibokojoe
05-09-2007, 10:47 AM
I have noticed that the passenger side wiper is hitting the hood and rubbed put a pretty good groove in the wiper and the bottom side of the hood. What can be done? Are the aftermarket blades too tall?

Qube
05-09-2007, 11:00 AM
I believe the problem can be caused by worn wiper spindle bushes or linkages. There is practically no margin for error with any slackness in the wiper mechanism at all. A common E34 problem is the lower part of the arm (not the blade) hitting the hood instead. I tried moving my wiper arm around 1 spline to prevent the arm from hitting the hood but wound up with it hitting the top-side of the windshield just like yours. As you can see there is not any real leeway to position the wiper arm by rotating even one spline without causing problems elsewhere.

Also: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=4326&highlight=wiper+hood

70383roadrunner
05-09-2007, 12:37 PM
I raised up the rear of the hood and repositioned the resting point of the blade. Cleared up the problem.

Barney Paull-Edwards
05-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Now that one is my nightmare! Mines been doing it for three years and, in short, its time to strip it out and replace the spindles which on a RHD car is a shitfest.Anybody actually done it and know an easy way???

Podmore
05-10-2007, 04:37 AM
Same problem here - I got out a set of multi-grips and twisted the lower part of the wiper arm to get a couple mm clearance from the bonnet. Stopped the chattering problem at the same time (wiper blade was at the wrong angle to the screen). I have not idea if or how the arm got bent out of shape in the first place, but that's my solution! Beats replacing the spindles which I don't think will solve the problem anyway.

Kibokojoe
05-26-2007, 09:16 PM
What is a multigrip?

Same problem here - I got out a set of multi-grips and twisted the lower part of the wiper arm to get a couple mm clearance from the bonnet. Stopped the chattering problem at the same time (wiper blade was at the wrong angle to the screen). I have not idea if or how the arm got bent out of shape in the first place, but that's my solution! Beats replacing the spindles which I don't think will solve the problem anyway.

Podmore
05-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Aha. Australian vernacular for a set of adjustable vice grips aka tool like a pair of big pliers but you can open the jaws up to different widths to get the gripping surfaces to sit parallel on the thing you are gripping ....... is that now so much clearer??

shogun
05-26-2007, 10:38 PM
http://www.thecountryshed.com/vice_grip.htm

NielsGalan
05-27-2007, 01:00 AM
I have noticed that the passenger side wiper is hitting the hood and rubbed put a pretty good groove in the wiper and the bottom side of the hood. What can be done? Are the aftermarket blades too tall?

Somebody on this forum referred to this as being the e34's equivalent to Marilyn Monroe's mole. After that, I stopped worrying about it. I even think it's kinda cute.

"All" our cars have this.

Just found it:

Think of it like Marilyn Monroe's mole ... and love it for what it is. A small mark surrounded by uncompromised beauty. E34s all have it, or all get it sooner or later.

Brian C.

ThoreauHD
05-27-2007, 02:59 AM
You can replace the wiper arms with bavauto.com or bmaparts.com tapered arms. Just give them a call. They are 50 bucks a piece. But you just need one.

Kibokojoe
05-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Ah here in the USA we call them visegrips

Kibokojoe
05-28-2007, 01:59 AM
I have looked on both sites and can't find any tapered arms

genphreak
05-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Same problem here - I got out a set of multi-grips and twisted the lower part of the wiper arm to get a couple mm clearance from the bonnet. Stopped the chattering problem at the same time (wiper blade was at the wrong angle to the screen). I have not idea if or how the arm got bent out of shape in the first place, but that's my solution! Beats replacing the spindles which I don't think will solve the problem anyway.It is your pressure adjustment device (PAD) which is continuously adding force to the screen. When they get old they malfunction and add too much. However the arm is not strong enough in the first place. A good fix (new PAD is nice but at AU$160 I removed mine and re-greased it) wuld be to bend wiper back adn then alloy weld a web in there to give it more strength to resist the PAD's efforts.... wee Sean and Johan's e32 site for details on the PAD, etc.

Barney Paull-Edwards
05-28-2007, 02:33 PM
In the words of my great -uncle Ben-Allah-Shish-Kebab, ********. the simple problem is that the spindle bearing/bush is worn out and no `bodges` will get over that.The best time to replace spindles on a RHD car(cannot be that different) is four hours, unless you know different Winfred??

632 Regal
05-28-2007, 10:56 PM
character flaws...add essance and serve. If it was the autorama Id fix it, but I cant. Shoot I cant even hear it in the rain.

genphreak
05-29-2007, 08:32 AM
In the words of my great -uncle Ben-Allah-Shish-Kebab, ********. the simple problem is that the spindle bearing/bush is worn out and no `bodges` will get over that.The best time to replace spindles on a RHD car(cannot be that different) is four hours, unless you know different Winfred??I've never seen one wear out yet, but then again, I live in Oz. It doesn't rain every other day here... here it is all bonnet hinges dropping and PADs (or just ue) causing bent arms. that people then adjust on the spindle and end up hitting the bonnet.