PDA

View Full Version : Group Buy: CD43 In Dash BMW CD Player

95///M3
05-09-2007, 07:35 AM
I want to start a group buy on the factory CD43 indash Business CD Player. I have talked to some people and it looks like pricing would be around $305 shipped if we can get about 10 people on board with this. This unit should be mostly plug and play and is a really nice upgrade to the older tape decks. CD Players will carry a 1 year warranty and have not been used or installed. Post here if you are interested.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/jwh234/bmw/cd43.jpg

http://www.personal.psu.edu/jwh234/bmw/cd432.jpg

EDIT: This group buy is official.

Official price is $305 shipped to the lower 48 for the CD43 head unit. The DICE Electronics ICE Link will be available for $140 shipped.

I will provide an address for money orders if you PM me. Also, if you paypal please provide 2.5% extra to cover the fees. Thank you.

Please PayPal $305 to jwherrold@gmail.com for the CD43 and additional $140 if you would like the DICE Link. If you need the custom harness necessary for vehicles that are not prewired for a CD Changer and are made before 96 please add $9.00.

1.)Me - DICE - (PAID)
2.)pscalfano - DICE - (PAID)
3.)Steven G
4.)RobinBrown - DICE

6.)BuckNaked
7.)pgrindstaff - (PAID)
8.)SwenPro - DICE
9.)GTOpaul (PAID)
10.)PaulinNZ - DICE - (PAID)

UPDATE: The DICE unit contains an AUX input for Satellite radios or anyother input!

Just installed in the M3:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/jwh234/ltw/cd433.jpg

http://www.personal.psu.edu/jwh234/ltw/cd434.jpg

Jimmy

Robin-535im
05-09-2007, 08:08 AM
I want to start a group buy on the factory CD43 indash Business CD Player. I have talked to some people and it looks like pricing would be around $305 shipped if we can get about 10 people on board with this. This unit should be mostly plug and play and is a really nice upgrade to the older tape decks. CD Players will carry a 1 year warranty and have not been used or installed. Post here if you are interested.

Jimmy
Considering the USED ones go for $250 - $280 on ebay, $305 is a good price for a new one.

I've been interested in one for a while. Sign me up.

swenpro
05-09-2007, 08:09 AM
EDIT: 95///M3, your PM box is full! Please sign me up for both CD43 and DICE! Thanks

wow, I AM interested in how great that looks... I will be purchasing a new receiver very soon, but this has no audio-out for my iPod! :(

califblue
05-09-2007, 08:29 AM
I am interested, any photos of the unit?

95///M3
05-09-2007, 08:40 AM
The denison ICE link apparantly can hook directly up to the cd changer input and the ipod can be controlled from the headunit directly apparantly. I am going to find out more information on this as well.

Jimmy

swenpro
05-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Here's some photos (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/433594/17)in various bmw's, it looks positively great compared with all these glossy, flashy, blinking-lighty ones you can buy at circuit city!

And maybe I could use my iPod! Here's an integration kit (http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product.php/II=521/_cid=282) from BSW for $158 shipped. Anyone find one for cheaper?? Because that would mean a $463 investment for a setup worth $180 in a new receiver, minus the stock look...

Denton
05-09-2007, 09:02 AM
I've always heard stuff about I-Bus, which is 1996+. I just was unclear of whether we can utilize the full capabilites of the CD43.

Maybe somebody can clear that up...I love the looks of the unit.

swenpro
05-09-2007, 09:13 AM
okay, not to throw water on the party here, but to clarify the $180 option I was talking about previously, here is a nice low-frills, matte black Nakamichi MP3/CD (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15580) that looks pretty decent. I'm torn :(

Qube
05-09-2007, 09:28 AM
Looks good! +1 if there is aux in or cheaper price for iPod kit ;)

In the meantime, I'll stick with the ol' JVC until then...

BMWCCA1
05-09-2007, 09:29 AM
The Nak is obviously being cleared-out because it doesn't offer an AUX input.

Is the CD43 an I-bus unit? Will our OE CD changers be useless with the CD43? Mostly plug-and-play means what kind of harness connector/adapter?

Edit: the links above answered my question:

The BMW CD43 (Single In-Dash Business CD/Radio) and C33 (Cassette/Radio) will also operate the BMW/Alpine (I-Bus only) 6-Disc CD changer and the "worthless" BMW/Nakamichi 6-Disc glovebox changer (part # 82 11 0 009 836). The CD43 set-up can provide a total of seven discs for your listening pleasure. The CD changer in the E38 (9/98-up mfg date) communicates on the I-Bus...the (1995-9/98 mfg date) E38 and the E32/E34 CD changers communicate on the M-Bus.

swenpro
05-09-2007, 09:41 AM
The Nak is obviously being cleared-out because it doesn't offer an AUX input.

woah, my bad, you're absolutely right, no aux in, that's what I was looking for... the word "MP3" in the product title confused me on the Nak! Okay, I want the BMW CD43, please! :D

95///M3
05-09-2007, 09:42 AM
I should be able to offer the ICE link as well. I am still waiting on some prices. One really nice feature with the ice link is that it charges your ipod too. It also displays the track name and artist through the RDS system on the headunit.

Jimmy

PScalfano
05-09-2007, 10:05 AM
I am most definitely interested. Please consider me in on this group buy. I would also be interested in the ipod integration kit if you can get a group buy discount on that.

If I am not mistaken, this unit was also put in some Land Rovers. I have seen eBay auctions that sell the land rover CD43 with an //M sticker that covers up the land rover logo. Are the units in this group buy OEM BMW?

Lastly, can someone please clarify the difference between I-Bus and L-Bus? I did some looking but must have looked in the wrong places. My CD Changer is alpine I think... it has a faceplate that slides to reveal the eject button and wallet.

Thanks!

95///M3
05-09-2007, 11:09 AM
I am most definitely interested. Please consider me in on this group buy. I would also be interested in the ipod integration kit if you can get a group buy discount on that.

If I am not mistaken, this unit was also put in some Land Rovers. I have seen eBay auctions that sell the land rover CD43 with an //M sticker that covers up the land rover logo. Are the units in this group buy OEM BMW?

Lastly, can someone please clarify the difference between I-Bus and L-Bus? I did some looking but must have looked in the wrong places. My CD Changer is alpine I think... it has a faceplate that slides to reveal the eject button and wallet.

Thanks!

These are OEM BMW Business CD decks. I am working on a group purchase for the DICE kit too. It looks like it will be an additional 140 shipped for the DICE at the moment.

Jimmy

JMI
05-09-2007, 08:18 PM
okay, not to throw water on the party here, but to clarify the $180 option I was talking about previously, here is a nice low-frills, matte black Nakamichi MP3/CD (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15580) that looks pretty decent. I'm torn :(

I have a Range Rover CD43 same as BMW but slightly different color display which is way I will sell it for $170 shipped anywhere in lower 48. Brand new.
PM me.

Jim

gale
05-09-2007, 09:30 PM
I know for fact (have one in mine) that the C43 and CD43 are plug-n-play in 92 or newer. Might work in a 91. 90 & older will require some diddling with the pin assignments on the back of the head unit (search archives for George Mann's conversion).

If the Dennison iPod adapter plugs into the CD changer cable in the trunk, then a newer e39 CD cable will have to be strung also, and I think there is one more caveat that requires another wire to either be powered in the trunk or run back to the head unit. Good news: there is another way around this. PAC/iPac makes the iPac-BMW adapter similar to the Dennison and it plugs directly into the back of the c43 or CD43 head unit without messing with a new CD cable to the trunk. I'm not sure if it displays the iPod artist/title in the RDS display. The PAC adapter sells for approx. $110 on ebay.

Either way, one must forfeit/abandon the existing CD changer in the trunk. That can also be made to work with an Alpine CDA-630 or CDA-634 changer with the new e39 cable and extra wire. For that setup, there are iPod adapters on Logjam Electronics that preserve the CD stacker function in the trunk and also allow an iPod.

swenpro
05-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Looks like this (http://cgi.ebay.com/PAC-IPAC-BMW-IPOD-Integration-for-BMW-Vehicles_W0QQitemZ270117138841QQihZ017QQcategoryZ5 0552QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)is what you're talking about... I like the lower price, and less work is always better!

So Gale, since you have the CD43, do you think it's worth the investment?

Steven G
05-10-2007, 06:08 AM
I am interested, please consider me in on this group buy.
Steven G

gale
05-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Looks like this (http://cgi.ebay.com/PAC-IPAC-BMW-IPOD-Integration-for-BMW-Vehicles_W0QQitemZ270117138841QQihZ017QQcategoryZ5 0552QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)is what you're talking about... I like the lower price, and less work is always better!

So Gale, since you have the CD43, do you think it's worth the investment?

The C43/CD43 has better sound quality, but being "hearing impaired" it's of little consequence for me. The RDS feature is cool. I've gotten so used to it that I miss it when driving my other cars without. I conceded there's no way to insert and iPod/Aux-in for the older version BMW head units (exception: there was a thread about 6 weeks ago on hacking into the CD cable to make it work). I like the factory look of the C43/CD43 and the fact that an iPod insertion is plug-n-play. If I had to do it over again, I would definitely get into the CD43 group buy and may still, since mine is the C43 cassette version.

DanDombrowski
05-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Yes, I have the CD43 CD player in my E46, its a nice unit. Cant wait to get my Denison Icelink unit (or whatever theyre calling the newest one).

Jehu
05-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Does this head unit offer Weather Band? Also, DEnnison seems to have stopped selling their Icelink though the Units are still around like on ebay. Which Ice Link will work with this CD player and which other IPod interfaces are there other than Icelink?

95///M3
05-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Does this head unit offer Weather Band? Also, DEnnison seems to have stopped selling their Icelink though the Units are still around like on ebay. Which Ice Link will work with this CD player and which other IPod interfaces are there other than Icelink?
The link offered is the DICE Electronics unit.

robinbrown
05-11-2007, 05:50 AM
I am also interested in the CD player and link.

Paul in NZ
05-12-2007, 02:41 AM
I am interested in the CD43 and any ipod interface if available.

BuckNaked
05-12-2007, 05:17 AM
I like the price, let me know how to get in on the deal for the CD43.

pgrindstaff
05-12-2007, 05:24 AM
I am interested in just the CD43. Let me know.

95///M3
05-12-2007, 07:03 AM
We have enough seirously interested parties to go forward with this. I am hoping the CD units will be able to ship by Monday or Tuesday. This group buy price is going to end by the last day in May.

Jimmy

PScalfano
05-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Put me in on the DICE interface too please.

p.s. 95///M3 I tried to PM you last night but your inbox was full.

Paul in NZ
05-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Jimmy as my user name suggests i live outside the 48 states.Let me know the freight and we can go from there.Can i Paypal ya?

swenpro
05-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Bump - the start of this thread has been updated with new info

Also... Jimmy, can you tell us a little more about who you are and why you're always selling something on this forum or doing a "group buy"? Maybe a picture of your 5 cars?
Pardon my skepticism, but I would be a little more encouraged about paypaling you $445 if I could have a little reassurance :D

txp135
05-14-2007, 08:52 PM
damn it. I'm broke.

95///M3
05-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Jimmy as my user name suggests i live outside the 48 states.Let me know the freight and we can go from there.Can i Paypal ya?

Please PM me with your full address.

Jimmy

95///M3
05-14-2007, 10:30 PM
I understand! I just recently started participating in this forum when I purchased my E34 around Thanksgiving. I post frequently on BFC.

Here are a few photos of the fleet. It has been evolving over the past few years....

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/j/w/jwh234/2002/IMG_0165.jpg -- big photo

to more current:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/jwh234/ltw/3.jpg

http://www.personal.psu.edu/jwh234/ltw/2.jpg

A little update on the M5. Currently it is under the knife. The motor and trans are out of the vehicle being fully rebuilt from ground up. While everything is out, I have fitted new brakes all around, stainless lines, all new steering and frt suspension components, powerflexes all around, full interior detail, projector fogs, konis, h&r's, BBS RC's, and a ton of other parts, now mainly a CD43 with DICE Link!

Jimmy

Paul in NZ
05-15-2007, 06:25 AM
PM sent!Disregard query re frequencies ,apparently the CD43 is a "world tuner"

95///M3
05-15-2007, 08:52 AM
PM sent!Disregard query re frequencies ,apparently the CD43 is a "world tuner"

AUX/Satellite Input is included on the DICE unit!

gtopaul
05-16-2007, 06:19 AM
I'm in for the CD player too.

Paul

Paul in NZ
05-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Hey Jimmy you have got me in the list twice!...aaargghhh

gale
05-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Reminder: Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, but pre-95 cars will need a new CD cable from a 95 or newer e36 or e39 for the DICE iPod adapter to work.

95///M3
05-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Reminder: Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, but pre-95 cars will need a new CD cable from a 95 or newer e36 or e39 for the DICE iPod adapter to work.

The DICE units that were sent to me are not compatibile with the CD43 directly at the back of the radio. I have addressed this issue and have overnighted all of the necessary connectors and harness pieces to make the appropriate adapter to make this completely plug and play. I will know more tomorrow when the pieces get here and I test this in my vehicle. Ther should be a small fee if the cable is necessary <9 bucks I hope. To those who have paid, this will be included at no fee.

Jimmy

Paul in NZ
05-17-2007, 03:52 AM
Hold on to everything Jimmy until you get it sorted.Is there a IE unit that is plug and play with the CD43?I dont mind if i have to run a new cable through,cos i have to anyway,as i have a 89 car,with equally old sony head unit/cd stacker,which is Mbus

gale
05-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Is there a IE unit that is plug and play with the CD43?I dont mind if i have to run a new cable through,cos i have to anyway,as i have a 89 car,with equally old sony head unit/cd stacker,which is Mbus

The PAC iPac-BMW iPod adapter is plug-n-play with the CD43, but you would have to abandon the stacker. Going price is $110 on ebay for the PAC adapter, which plugs directly into the back of the head unit without messing with the stacker cable. www.logjamelectronics.com electronics has other brands which will let the stacker work in conjuntion with an iPod, but then it would need the newer CD cable routed to the trunk.

95///M3
05-17-2007, 09:21 AM
Right, but these connectors do not allow the read out of on the display and many dont allow for change of songs from the headunit.

I have all but 1 of the parts here to make a custom cable that will plug into the DICE link and plug into the Headunit. There is no cutting, splicing, or any of that. The harness I am putting together is made from all BMW Parts and are of high quality. The 1 part I am waiting for will be here tomorrow AM. I will have the first plug made tomorrow and tested on my vehicle and then will make more and ship the orders placed earlier this week if all goes well by tomorrow afternoon.

I was unaware that the DICE unit did not plug directly into the CD43 and this all came up yesterday when I finally had one in hand. Hopefully by tomorrow this will be a non-issue!

If anyone has any questions please post up.

Jimmy

PScalfano
05-17-2007, 10:00 AM
Let me make sure I understand correctly. You have got the DICE and the CD43s, and you are making an adapter that will go from the back of the CD43 to the DICE unit without using the CD Changer cable? So I will just have to run a wire from the CD43 to the glovebox (or wherever the IPOD will go) instead of having to wire from the trunk all the way up? I like that idea a lot, and I also like that you are following through with the group buy to make sure we get set up nicely. Let me know if this is correct.

95///M3
05-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Let me make sure I understand correctly. You have got the DICE and the CD43s, and you are making an adapter that will go from the back of the CD43 to the DICE unit without using the CD Changer cable? So I will just have to run a wire from the CD43 to the glovebox (or wherever the IPOD will go) instead of having to wire from the trunk all the way up? I like that idea a lot, and I also like that you are following through with the group buy to make sure we get set up nicely. Let me know if this is correct.

Absolutely.

Let me explain why I chose the DICE unit. First off, it is the only IPOD hookup that I know of that allows the headunit to display the artists, names of songs, etc. The DICE also allows the headunit to change the song and search your IPOD all while having the IPOD concealed in say the glovebox or center console. If you choose to change the song on the ipod that works as well. Cool stuff. Also, an AUX 3.5MM jack is supplied on the DICE box so you can run and additional input, also pretty cool!

Now, I was under the impression that the DICE unit plugs into the rectangular CD Changer input in the headunit. This is incorrect. I figured this out just yesterday when they got here.... nice. So, I called DICE and tried to figure out what the deal is. Apparantly they never have supplied a cable for this application but somehow have something that will work for a mere $30 extra ... not cool. What I have done is go through BMW's parts bin and had all of the connectors on the DICE side as well as the CD headunits side overnighted to me so I can make a simple plug and play harness. I am currently waiting on 30 female pins to make everything connect and the pin-out from DICE. The pins will be here tomorrow, and I have the plastic clip in connectors here already. Essentially tomorrow, I will build the first harness and test in my vehicle over lunch. If all is well, I will ship the orders with the DICE unit. If you have already paid for the DICE unit there is no charge for the plug and play harness. If you are still contemplating ordering, there will be a small fee ~ $6-$8 for the harness. I have not tabulated the costs, but this is my cost. No one is making money on this harness. Also, it is not necessary to run the harness. You can still connect the DICE unit to the CD Changer connectors in the trunk if you wish. For me this was not an option especially on my Lightweight since it was obviously not prewired for a CD Changer, hence the added effort of making a harness. Also, I didnt want to rip my interior apart to hide cables simply for an IPOD hookup. This just doesn's seem practical. I will update this tomorrow.

Now, for those of you who have PayPal'd and did not get the DICE unit, your orders have shipped!

Hopefully this clears a lot up. Im really excited to have this installed in my car!

PScalfano
05-17-2007, 01:38 PM
That sounds great, Jimmy! I hope it doesn't cost you too much time and effort to build the harnesses. To be honest I was not looking forward to running the wire, either. To me, running the wire means the difference between installing the radio in my apartment complex parking lot or having to wait until I can install it elsewhere. It's really decent of you to toss that in.

Does this radio come with the removal tool that fits the screws connecting my original stereo? Or will I have to find another way to get the old radio out?

Lastly, if you have time, I'd like to see some pictures of the CD43 + DICE in your car once you have it set up, preferably the M3 because mine is also an E36. And I'm sure the 5-er folks would love to see the setup in your M5 too. This is time permitting of course; don't feel like you must take pictures during your lunch break while you build the harness etc.

Thanks again!

95///M3
05-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Building the harnesses is not a big deal at all. I get so fed up with car stereo guys that it makes me sick. I want a clean install without having to dismantle the whole car and most importantly, not having to hack into the stock harness. The last thing I am going to do is cut a wire on my LTW or even for that matter my M5. Plus, install will be so much easier. Going the extra mile for car installations is what I do next. Hopefully if I ever sell my car the next owner will appreciate when I make specific harness from everything such as Fog Lights to this radio adapter.

As far the tool. Yes, the radio removal tool is included with each CD Player.

I will snap a photo tonight of the CD43 in the E36.

Jimmy

Paul in NZ
05-17-2007, 05:20 PM
the whole point of getting the DICE for me is to eliminate the cd stacker with its mechanical /optical interfaces.In the past i have had eventual problems with cd,s in cars relating to these interfaces.

califblue
05-17-2007, 07:04 PM
look at this Alpine...has it all and same foot print and way better than the factory
http://www.epinions.com/Alpine_CDA_9856_CD_MP3_WMA_Receiver

Rusty
05-17-2007, 08:07 PM

http://www.personal.psu.edu/jwh234/bmw/cd43.jpg

http://www.personal.psu.edu/jwh234/bmw/cd432.jpg

EDIT: This group buy is official. CD Players will be ready to ship starting Tuesday the 15th of May and will end at 11:59PM on May 31st.

Official price is $305 shipped to the lower 48 for the CD43 head unit. The DICE Electronics ICE Link will be available for $140 shipped.

I will provide an address for money orders if you PM me. Also, if you paypal please provide 2.5% extra to cover the fees. Thank you.

Please PayPal $305 to jwherrold@gmail.com for the CD43 and additional $140 if you would like the DICE Link.

The DICE Link will not ship until Thursday the 17th.

1.)Me - DICE - (PAID)
2.)pscalfano - DICE - (PAID)
3.)Steven G
4.)RobinBrown - DICE

6.)BuckNaked
7.)pgrindstaff - (PAID)
8.)SwenPro - DICE
9.)GTOpaul (PAID)
10.)PaulinNZ - DICE - (PAID)

UPDATE: The DICE unit contains an AUX input for Satellite radios or anyother input!

Jimmy

Are these things still for sale? If so, put me down for a copy.

95///M3
05-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Are these things still for sale? If so, put me down for a copy.

Yep, Payment information is on the first page. I can ship both units tomorrow but if you are looking for the DICE custom harness it may be have to wait until later tomorrow or even Monday, depending how much time I can get away from work tomorrow.

Jimmy

95///M3
05-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Lastly, if you have time, I'd like to see some pictures of the CD43 + DICE in your car once you have it set up, preferably the M3 because mine is also an E36.

I installed the CD43 in the M3 tonight. It took literally about 3 minutes from start to finish. The DICE is not in just quite yet.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/jwh234/ltw/cd433.jpg

http://www.personal.psu.edu/jwh234/ltw/cd434.jpg

Jimmy

pgrindstaff
05-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Jimmy

Thanks for sending the CD43 so fast. I got mine this evening and already have it installed. All I can say is WOW, it sounds absolutely amazing compared to my original C33 radio. Now, how on earth do you change the presets? I pressed the little m button, held the preset buttons, every combination I could think of and couldnt get the presets changed. If you know how to change these please let me know. Again, thanks for the great deal on the radio.

-Patrick

95///M3
05-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Awesome. I just installed mine too tonight and am really really happy with it. I cant wait to install it in the E34 next.

Um, I didnt set any stations yet, (too busy listening to a CD) but you should just tune it to your desired channel and hold down one of the numbers for about 3 seconds.

indierthanthou
05-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Looks good! +1 if there is aux in or cheaper price for iPod kit ;)

In the meantime, I'll stick with the ol' JVC until then...

what stereo is that, qube, and where can I find it, how much, etc?

Paul in NZ
05-18-2007, 10:24 PM
does the cd 43 display title or artist for a cd ?nd if the Ipod is playing does it show artist.title on head unit?What sort of ipod<nano ? or does it have to be a full sized one?You can see that I know lots about this!

95///M3
05-18-2007, 10:35 PM
does the cd 43 display title or artist for a cd ?nd if the Ipod is playing does it show artist.title on head unit?What sort of ipod<nano ? or does it have to be a full sized one?You can see that I know lots about this!

Yes to both. I know for certain for the IPOD, abou 95% on the CD. I think it has to be at least a 3rd gen Ipod or any nano/mini.

Jimmy

gtopaul
05-19-2007, 09:15 AM
Got the CD43 installed a couple of minutes ago. Looks great and sounds great too. Even replaced the OBC light bulbs while I had the radio out. Now I'm installing an M-Tech 3 spoke steering wheel w/airbag (I hope if the slip ring works).

Thanks Jimmy!

Paul
http://members.aol.com/gtopaul/private/dashshot.jpg

Robin-535im
05-21-2007, 05:12 PM
Considering the USED ones go for $250 - $280 on ebay, $305 is a good price for a new one.

I've been interested in one for a while. Sign me up.
^bump^

Paypal sent... let me know when it ships. thanks!

Paul in NZ
05-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Hey Jimmy whats the latest with the DICE..As I said,hang on to mine till you have this resolved,dont want you to have to make multiple postage to me.

etcetera
05-21-2007, 07:39 PM
This thread inspired me to start looking around for a replacement for my stock radio. I chose the Nak CD400. Here's a pic.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13364

You can get it for around $290 shipped. Front and rear preouts, sub preout, aux in and 47x4, changer control, and it looks like it belongs once you set the backlight to orange.

Can't wait to get it. Since it doesn't play MP3 cd's, I'll have an excuse to buy an MP3 player. I might pick up a changer for it also.

PScalfano
05-24-2007, 09:27 AM
Jimmy - Any updates on the DICE adapter / shipping?

-Phillip

95///M3
05-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Phillip,

I am waiting on one piece from DICE still for the wiring diagrams. I paid for 2 day shipping 2 days ago and havent received anything yet. I will keep you updated, I really hope its here today still or tomorrow.

Jimmy

PScalfano
05-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Ok, no problem. Thanks for the update!

swenpro
05-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Yes, thanks for the update, Jimmy. Please let me know what I owe you for whatever else you're concocting besides cd43/dice, I know this stuff aint free ;) I'm really looking forward to the setup!

Greg

Paul in NZ
05-25-2007, 05:09 AM
any you guys swapped the cd 43 into an early car?

gale
05-25-2007, 07:34 AM
any you guys swapped the cd 43 into an early car?

George Mann put one in his 1990 e32 a couple years ago. He did an extensive write-up and it should be in the archives. I think he had to do a minor tweak to the pin/wiring pattern but the stock connector physically fits. Let me know if you can't find his post and I'll do some more digging for it.

95///M3
05-25-2007, 08:59 AM
UPDATE: May25th - I received a full pinout now and will be testing the custom harness for the DICE guys. I will be back from vacaction on Monday and Tuesday everything will ship out!

I had everything pinned correctly except I needed one more ground for the Dice unit itself. That is resolved, testing this weekend, and finished products go out as mentioned on Tuesday.

Thank you for your patience. There is no fee for this link for all of those who have already paid.

Jimmy

Paul in NZ
05-26-2007, 06:24 PM
thanks gale I will find Georges post,I remember it now!.My car has a removeable sony (stock) I sure hope the wiring in the car is the same as George,s.Seeing mine is a 1990 too I am hoping it is

for those who also need to know here is a link (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)to Georges write up.Pics appear to be dead but...

95///M3
05-29-2007, 04:59 PM
COMPLETE!

Ok, so if you ordered a CD43... you should have received it by now.

If you ordered a CD43 and DICE... they wlll go out tomorrow along with the custom harness. I need to grab a few more 3M terminals to complete a few extra links, but once they are built that will be it. I am making about 15 of them. 1 issue is that you need to use 3 T-Tap connectors on the factory harness to power the DICE. All instructions will be included. Trust me when I say there is nothing to it.

I tested everything on both my E36 and the M5 and its really pretty cool. E36 Ipod mounting is right under the on board computer. I think I am going to either just wire the E34 to connect in the compartment to the right of the Ebrake. Should be very painless.

Thank you to all who have ordered and have been patient. You should all have your equipment within a week or so, including you too Paul!

Also, as a quick note to the guys with the early style connectors. BMW makes a completely plug and play harness to retrofit the newer style headunits! This is available in 2 versions, either the 2 or 4 channel apparantly, depending on what your car was delivered with. I am going to search for a few photos of the connectors (or someone here post up what you have) and post a price if someone wants these. I can offer them for %20 off BMW's price.

If anyone has any questions or comments post up!
Jimmy

Elekta
05-29-2007, 09:27 PM
paypal on the way for the full monty.

this is a great choice as I was about to go get a Becker from UK and have to get a audio tech to rat splice the harness..

Bimmerman
05-30-2007, 06:36 AM
95///M3, did you ever receive my PM?

Robin-535im
05-31-2007, 08:58 AM
Thanks Jimmy - Got mine yesterday, looks very nice. I have to contend with the PO's harness butchering, but hopefully that won't be too bad. Can't wait to have a good BMW stereo in there again!

Elekta
06-01-2007, 10:43 AM
looking for an update...please advise

JMI
06-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Also, as a quick note to the guys with the early style connectors. BMW makes a completely plug and play harness to retrofit the newer style headunits! This is available in 2 versions, either the 2 or 4 channel apparantly, depending on what your car was delivered with. I am going to search for a few photos of the connectors (or someone here post up what you have) and post a price if someone wants these. I can offer them for %20 off BMW's price.

How much are they? They will make the unit "plug and play" on a 1989 535i?

TIA

Jim

bigtisas
06-02-2007, 01:32 AM
My JVC AR560 (http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2004/257/h257KDAR560-f.jpeg) looks pretty nice fit to my black interior. Comes with AUX port. But the dame buttons are very small.

swenpro
06-02-2007, 11:50 AM
My JVC AR560 (http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2004/257/h257KDAR560-f.jpeg) looks pretty nice fit to my black interior. Comes with AUX port. But the dame buttons are very small.

you know what they say about people with small buttons...

Paul in NZ
06-03-2007, 01:28 AM
do you have the part nos for that connector(s) jimmy?

ltflint
06-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Jimmy,

Do you still have more available at this price??

Elekta
06-04-2007, 07:33 AM
Hi,

Looking for any communication re my paypal pmt to you. I made your deadline with plenty of time to spare ($456.13 on 5.30.07.)

Please send some sort of confirmation here, email or pm

thanks,

geoff

(I need to send a deck out to cali for the new rig asap...must have tunes for the ride home. )

95///M3
06-04-2007, 07:53 AM
Geoff,

Payment has been received!

I will have the deck out today hopefully!

jimmy

JMI
06-04-2007, 08:28 AM
About those connectors, do you have any or a part number?

Thanks

95///M3
06-04-2007, 08:52 AM
About those connectors, do you have any or a part number?

Thanks

There are two versions....

2 Kanal - 65 12 8 350 192 -$54
4 kanal - 65 12 9 410 558 -$43

You may need the antenna adapter too:
65 12 1 388 950 -$13

I have the 4 channel piece on its way to me right now.

This Group Buy has been extended due to the fact that the whole process even to where we are now I have been learning more and more facts. Everything has come together nicely, these final details will be awesome if everything works out!

Jimmy

Elekta
06-04-2007, 09:10 AM
thanks!

I will take what ever connectors or pigtails you make also, just let me know if you need some more scratch.

The elekta has no working deck in it, and I have no idea what shape the head unit connector is in. The touring did not have the rear CD player and therefore I assume no prewire to the rear, and I can only surmise this because of the boot panel cover being sculpted and not bulbous (see left area)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ggil-tx/bmw/L1020652.jpg

JMI
06-04-2007, 08:46 PM
There are two versions....

2 Kanal - 65 12 8 350 192 -$54
4 kanal - 65 12 9 410 558 -$43

You may need the antenna adapter too:
65 12 1 388 950 -$13

Jimmy

Jimmy,

Do you know if the connectors will make the CD43 a plug and play unit on a 1989 535i (11/88 build)? Be a big help if you know.

TIA

Jim

95///M3
06-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Ideally that is the plan. I expect to have the BMW harness here on Friday (it is coming from Germany).

Jimmy

swenpro
06-04-2007, 11:06 PM
COMPLETE!

Ok, so if you ordered a CD43... you should have received it by now.

If you ordered a CD43 and DICE... they wlll go out tomorrow along with the custom harness.

Just to clarify, Jimmy, did these in fact ship out on 5/30/07 (so I know if I should be expecting a package) or are you still waiting on these other parts for those of us who ordered CD43 + DICE for late model E34s?

Greg

swenpro
06-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Just to clarify, Jimmy, did these in fact ship out on 5/30/07 (so I know if I should be expecting a package) or are you still waiting on these other parts for those of us who ordered CD43 + DICE for late model E34s?

Greg

Got your PM, thanks!

95///M3
06-07-2007, 08:46 AM
I received in the "4 Channel" adapter for those who dont have the newer 17 pin connection. If your stock radio has 2 little white and 2 black round conncetors, this is the adapter for you. I have some "2 Channel" adapters on the way for the other versions. For some reason I have a hunch that most will be the 2 channel.

Also, to those who had DICE units shipped. I think I forgot to include the three 3M t-tap connectors. I greatly apologize and can get these out to you ASAP. Please let me know who I missed so I can make it right for you. I apologize and will make sure to double check on future shipments!

Jimmy

PScalfano
06-09-2007, 07:07 PM
I received my CD43 and DICE, and had the CD43 put in within a few minutes. The CD43 is a very nice plug and play upgrade. The biggest improvement I have noticed so far is a much improved soundstage when the top and windows are down. Does anyone know where I can get a user's manual for the CD43, whether it's PDF or if I can order it somewhere?

I think you may have forgotten the T-Tap connectors though Jimmy. I looked for some locally but the only ones I found would force me to cut the harness you built. So at your convenience please send the T-Taps. I am really pleased with the wiring harnesses you made and the instructions you enclosed. Can't wait to get the DICE up and running, but as for now the CD player is serving me very well.

Pictures to come after DICE is installed. Thanks Jimmy!

95///M3
06-09-2007, 07:14 PM
I apologize for not including the connectors. It pisses me off because I thought I was more on top of shipping them out. I will put them in an envelope and get them out to you first thing on Monday.

Also, for the manuals. I ordered in 2 for myself. I think they are around 8 bucks or so. If you want one let me know.

Jimmy

Elekta
06-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Got mine, thanks so much.

If you think you missed something in my kit, please let me know. I will be sending this out to cali in a week or so to be put in the elekta. If there are any special connnection info, let me know.

thanks again,

geoff

PScalfano
06-11-2007, 08:55 AM
No prob on the connectors. I was able to locate a PDF of the CD43 user's manual. If someone can host this, or if anyone wants a copy of this, let me know and I can email it to you.

95///M3
06-11-2007, 10:41 AM
ADAPTERS: Here is a photo of the 2 different style adapters...

http://www.personal.psu.edu/jwh234/e34/adapters.jpg

The easiest way to tell what style you need is by it either having 2 or 4 of the round connectors. Also, you can see that the top version has a big black connector as well.

The link at the bottom is for your antenna. Price is $15.00 for this piece.

Robin-535im
06-11-2007, 11:25 AM
ADAPTERS: Here is a photo of the 2 different style adapters...

http://www.personal.psu.edu/jwh234/e34/adapters.jpg

The easiest way to tell what style you need is by it either having 2 or 4 of the round connectors. Also, you can see that the top version has a big black connector as well.

The link at the bottom is for your antenna. Price is $15.00 for this piece.
The two connectors look like they plug into different units - doesn't the big black monolithic plastic end go into the CD43?

95///M3
06-11-2007, 12:30 PM
The two connectors look like they plug into different units - doesn't the big black monolithic plastic end go into the CD43?

Correct, the 17 pin block connector connects to the CD43.

There are 2 versions of players pre 91ish. One is a 2 channel (top) and the other is a 4 channer (bottom). You must pull the stock unit to see if your is a 2 or channel. I think that all vehicles with an external fader are 2 channel, but I am not certain.

Jimmy

Robin-535im
06-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Correct, the 17 pin block connector connects to the CD43.

There are 2 versions of players pre 91ish. One is a 2 channel (top) and the other is a 4 channer (bottom). You must pull the stock unit to see if your is a 2 or channel. I think that all vehicles with an external fader are 2 channel, but I am not certain.

Jimmy
So the pictures are what the existing connector in the car should look like ( one of the two) and will they both plug into the CD43 or is there an adapter necessary to connect the existing harness to the CD43?

Also - I want one of the antenna connectors from you, I'l PM you ...

95///M3
06-11-2007, 01:18 PM
So the pictures are what the existing connector in the car should look like ( one of the two) and will they both plug into the CD43 or is there an adapter necessary to connect the existing harness to the CD43?

Also - I want one of the antenna connectors from you, I'l PM you ...

Well close, this is just the opposite side of what the body side connectors look like. You will take one of these two adapters and plug it into the harness that used to connect to your old headunit... you will then simply clip in the block side of the adapter to the CD43 and you are done with wiring. This adapter is only necessary for the early build date E30's, E34's, E24's etc.

Jimmy

swenpro
06-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Well, I got everything installed last weekend! Again a big thanks to Jimmy for putting this together, especially on the DICE setup

First impressions: the CD43 is DEFINITELY better sounding than stock radio, as someone mentioned above, more "stage presence." Also, my crackle, crackle after playing music for a while hasn't appeared yet now after installing the CD43, so [fingers crossed] i'm hoping the new head unit is the fix for that noise.

To install the DICE module, I pulled out the radio, climate control, shifter wood trim, and lower console to run the big cable from the radio to the module, which I've decided to put in the area under the console compartment where there was an option for a cigarette lighter (for the backseat) and I don't have one. I read some people wired theirs to the DICE under their seat, but I find this will be easier.

In addition, you will see that I drilled a 1/2" hole in my console compartment and fitted a rubber grommet to feed the cable through. I noticed a lot of companies that integrate iPods like to wire them up next to the radio, but I prefer having wires etc on my right side, not getting entangled with the shifter, etc.

As for sound... when you crank it up, it really does sound amazing, CD quality, and even better now with the CD43. I was planning on replacing my speakers this summer, but I'm realizing there may not be need to do that :D

Now, for a few issues (you knew this was coming):

1) I'm getting a soft "ticka ticka ticka"/soft popping noise that can be heard through the speakers only when the volume is low or between tracks. I have now found that others have experienced this problem as well as other issues on this extensive bimmerfest thread (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1766476&mode=linear#post1766476), and I have not found a fix yet. Hoping someone can shed some light on this...

2) I can't get the text to show up properly on the radio. A few words about the song will come on once in a while and then disappear, but I can't get the text to come up on command and scroll normally. I'm following the manual's directions to use button 6 and then stop at tracks 1-5 (I think it should be 1 anyway) till text appears. Did this work for you in the E34 Jimmy?

3) Random loss of connection. I don't know why, but while I'm driving and listening to music, sometimes it will just switch modes and start playing the radio, like it lost connection with the DICE or something.

A side note for CD43 users: you have to press the "CD" button TWICE to use your CD changer or DICE (if applicable)... took me a while to figure this one out :)

So the CD43 is a "go" for sure, and hopefully the DICE issues can be worked out. Please post your results and suggestions, thanks!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3/swenpro/CopyofCIMG0042.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3/swenpro/CopyofCIMG0031.jpg

swenpro
06-13-2007, 05:19 PM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3/swenpro/CopyofCIMG0034.jpg

M5Greg
06-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Am I way too late for this? I'm tired of trying to read my display with 10% of my pixels gone. I have a 12/91 build with the Bavaria C Professional head unit with RDS. Here's my connector:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d196/M5Greg/SNC10248.jpg

Greg S.

95///M3
06-13-2007, 09:45 PM
You are still good to go....

Swen - I will look into your issues. The one that bothers me most right now is the loss of connectivity. Make sure for certain that the T-taps are fully engaged. Also, make sure everything is clipped in as required. I am going to see if I can find any info out about the Tick too!

I must say it does look damn good though!

M5Greg
06-14-2007, 12:29 AM
You are still good to go....

Do you have a final price with the Dice and the connectors?

Thanks,
Greg

Paul in NZ
06-14-2007, 03:38 AM
I am not panicing yet jimmy but i havent seen my unit yet.The CD43 sure looks sweeet tho,its gonna look even better than my stock sony tape player
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/kiwi535/int.jpg
one question for you guys...is this IPOD specific or will any mp3 player work.If it is IPOD specific will a nano work or does it have to be a "full sized" ipod?I must pull my radio out and see what connector i have.I think i will require the 4 channel adapter as i have the 10 speaker sytem

95///M3
06-14-2007, 07:06 AM
Paul,

It will work on any IPOD 4th Gen or newer, Video, Nano, and New Nano. Also, it will work with any generic headphone style jack on the AUX input of the DICE module. I am going to have my Sirius connected this way but it can pull the headphone jack and put it into any device with headphones. One really nice feature is that you can toggle the inputs directly from the headunit!

Jimmy

PScalfano
06-14-2007, 07:39 AM
Very clean install! Try this thread for DICE QA: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634582

I know it's hella long, but they ask almost every question that can be asked. The most generic solution is to reset your IPOD if you are having display issues.

leicesterboy15
06-20-2007, 11:29 AM
If any of you are interested I've just seen this on ebay, looks good - and cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-NEW-CD-Business-BMW-Radio-E30-E32-E34-E36-M3-Z3_W0QQitemZ260130022951QQihZ016QQcategoryZ10374QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Paul in NZ
06-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Jimmy got my package today,all looks sweet.I am a bit apprehensive about the install being a pre 91 car and maybe being even more odd ball than that given I have a Sony removeable unit as stock.Stand by.... I may ask you some question/part nos re that adapter

PScalfano
06-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Hey Jimmy,

When can I expect the T-Taps? I'm hoping for a good at-home project this weekend as I'm on call...

Thanks!

PScalfano
06-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Jimmy, started wiring my DICE today and I have a question about the taps. My wiring harness does not have pin 7 to tap. I was thinking this might be since I have an E36 not an E34. Do you know what the equivalent wire to tap is for E36?

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Upgrade/Data/Stereo/e36-pinouts-a.gif

There is a diagram of my pins. I have tapped #15 and #9 so far, but #7 is MIA. Which should I tap?

Thanks

(edit: linked to the picture correctly)

PScalfano
06-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Installed, and working great. Disregard my last question. Pic:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b379/PScalfano/DICE/DSCF2422.jpg

I love it!

JMI
06-25-2007, 10:43 PM
Hi Jimmy,
What's the word on the shipping of my CD43 w/ adapters.

Jim Illson
Seattle, WA

BradHouser
06-28-2007, 05:31 PM
I have a cheapo Panasonic with a blue (gasp!) display. I like the CD43's looks, but I don't want to give up the ability to play CDs burned with MP3 files. Are there any stock BMW head units that will play my burned CDs?

JMI
07-05-2007, 02:10 PM
I got the unit (works great, thanks Jimmy) but one problem. I cannot get the unit totally flush into the dash. Bottom edge is fine but top edge sticks out 1/8 or maybe 1/4 inch out. I've tried shifting the wires in the back about to see if they are blocking in some way. Have not ruled that out. Also have a set of speaker wires (I guess thats what they are) that attach to the back plate of unit. The "nut" that secures the terminal is a inch (or more) long thing that screws onto the post that extends from the back plate. Thinking of getting something shorter just incase that is hitting something but that piece came from the old unit so don't know how that could be the problem. Has anyone had the problem or have a suggestion?

Thanks

Jim

swenpro
07-05-2007, 08:37 PM
I got the unit (works great, thanks Jimmy) but one problem. I cannot get the unit totally flush into the dash. Bottom edge is fine but top edge sticks out 1/8 or maybe 1/4 inch out. I've tried shifting the wires in the back about to see if they are blocking in some way. Have not ruled that out. Also have a set of speaker wires (I guess thats what they are) that attach to the back plate of unit. The "nut" that secures the terminal is a inch (or more) long thing that screws onto the post that extends from the back plate. Thinking of getting something shorter just incase that is hitting something but that piece came from the old unit so don't know how that could be the problem. Has anyone had the problem or have a suggestion?

Thanks

Jim

same problem here, if you look carefully at the pics I posted previously, it's not perfectly flush, but I really don't notice this anymore. Let me know if you find a fix!

pgrindstaff
07-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Ok, I was looking today on ebay for a DICE unit to use along with my CD43 and couldn't help but wonder why I would need the harness Jimmy was making if the unit comes with a harness that plugs into the data port on the head unit. Is the included harness the wrong one?

Thanks
-Patrick