PDA

View Full Version : OEM brake rotors & pads - which brands ?

Zeuk in Oz
05-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Have searched but haven't yet found.

What brand are BMW rotors and pads ?

I believe that pads are made by Jurid but have no idea about the rotors.

Are E39 & E36 the same as E34 ?

BigKriss
05-08-2007, 08:51 PM
e36 pads are the same size as e34 pads at the front. I don't know about the rear. I think BMW rotors brand are Balo, not certain though.

Zeuk in Oz
05-10-2007, 12:06 AM
Have searched but haven't yet found.

What brand are BMW rotors and pads ?

I believe that pads are made by Jurid but have no idea about the rotors.

Are E39 & E36 the same as E34 ?
Bump.

Anyone know who makes BMW brake rotors ?

shogun
05-10-2007, 01:05 AM
ATE brake discs and Jurid and/or ATE pads.
What you get from the aftermarket is also ATE but a different quality, (I have read/heard/maybe rumours)
http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/cas/cas/general/the_brand_ate/linkpage_ate_en.html

Russell
05-10-2007, 03:08 AM
I put ATE rotors and Raybestos QS on the front about 25,000 miles ago. I have a lot of vibration when I first put the brakes on lightly. Seems like the rotors are warped. May try to turn this weekend.

myles
05-10-2007, 03:17 AM
I thought that they used textar or ate for rotors. I've used Textar rotors and raybestos pads and the setup works very well.

Zeuk in Oz
05-10-2007, 03:29 PM
ATE brake discs and Jurid and/or ATE pads.
What you get from the aftermarket is also ATE but a different quality, (I have read/heard/maybe rumours)
http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/cas/cas/general/the_brand_ate/linkpage_ate_en.html
Thanks Erich, thanks guys.

That more or less confirmed what my mechanic was saying - stick to genuine rotors & pads. I think i will heed his advice.

nk530
05-10-2007, 04:14 PM
I had a mechanic tell me that he always gets his rotors turned before install...
even when new
This might be a good idea for any aftermarket rotors. saves having to do it later anyway

nate

genphreak
05-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Hey, I have a set of BMW rotors for your car. They should not be hard to get.

Stock are VERY different to OE, they have grooved surfaces, roundels and part numbers stamped into them. OE are smooth and need a good clean before using if you want to avoid the squeaks. Very ferw people do this, but if one searches around you will find some real purists that have very exotic procedures. :) Nick

saluki540i
05-11-2007, 07:59 AM
If new rotors have to be turned before being installed to make them true, they are junk to begin with.

Bill R.
05-11-2007, 08:27 AM
I've been putting Akebono's ceramics on customers cars for a good while now and with no hesitation i will say that these are the best pads i've installed on any car yet. By far the fewest problems and the least customer complaints except for initial cost. They seem to live a very long time as well. And on Brake rotors i've had very good results with Centric rotors which are a fraction of the price of any others that i buy. Chinese made but the quality seems to be very good. Blanchard ground not turned on a lathe. Blanchard ground is the way to go over lathe turning given the choice. Much flatter and the correct surface finish compared to those done on a lathe. But to answer your original question Brembo, Balo and Ate i believe are the O.E. suppliers to bmw for brake rotors. you've already named the pads.
A link to Centric for those who are curious
(http://www.centricparts.com/CentricHighPerformance.html)

Thanks Erich, thanks guys.

That more or less confirmed what my mechanic was saying - stick to genuine rotors & pads. I think i will heed his advice.

Evan
05-11-2007, 08:55 AM
Bill

I'm going to try the rotors and pads you recommend. I saved a copy of the photo you posted last year (of pads and rotors)

Tiger
05-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Are the Akebonos dusty? I got PBR Ceramic on my MB... and they are dusty... way worse than MetalMaster. Where do you get the Akebonos?

Zeuk in Oz
05-11-2007, 07:22 PM
I've been putting Akebono's ceramics on customers cars for a good while now and with no hesitation i will say that these are the best pads i've installed on any car yet. By far the fewest problems and the least customer complaints except for initial cost. They seem to live a very long time as well. And on Brake rotors i've had very good results with Centric rotors which are a fraction of the price of any others that i buy. Chinese made but the quality seems to be very good. Blanchard ground not turned on a lathe. Blanchard ground is the way to go over lathe turning given the choice. Much flatter and the correct surface finish compared to those done on a lathe. But to answer your original question Brembo, Balo and Ate i believe are the O.E. suppliers to bmw for brake rotors. you've already named the pads.
A link to Centric for those who are curious
(http://www.centricparts.com/CentricHighPerformance.html)
Thanks Bill - as usual I value you opinion and will make enquiries.

Fortunately I am not in a hurry, however realised I didn't know enough about them.

Bill R.
05-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Tiger,here is the link that i posted pics of the fronts with akebono and the rears with stock pads on our 3 series touring. Washed the fronts and rears at the same time and it ended up looking like this
(http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=28207)

Are the Akebonos dusty? I got PBR Ceramic on my MB... and they are dusty... way worse than MetalMaster. Where do you get the Akebonos?

ThoreauHD
05-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up Bill. I hadn't heard of these folks before.

Tiger
05-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Zeuk... I trust Axxis brake pads... but not PBR... they may have same model names but they are not same because I had both. Axxis is easy to get in your are as it is made in Australia.