PDA

View Full Version : Water in Cylinder!

Evan
05-08-2007, 09:39 AM
I've been working on the top half of my motor and made the mistake of not taping the heads shut after i removed the intake manifold.

As a result of using rags to keep debris out of the cylinder heads, a small amount of water accumulated in two of the cylinders. I removed the spark plugs and vacuumed out the water but I'm sure there is a small amount still sitting there.

Will this sitting water harm my pistons or rings?
Should I remove the heads and clean out the cylinders?
Are there any precautions i should take before startup?

Evan

Ross
05-08-2007, 09:52 AM
Don't worry unless you plan on letting the motor sit a long time. Pull the plugs and turn it over a few times so as not to try and compress water.
If you plan on not running it for a while put some oil in the cylinders and turn it over a few times.
The water will eventually seep past the rings into the crankcase, drain the sump and refill before starting it.

Boone.Msi
05-08-2007, 10:00 AM
wait, how did this happen?! Condensation?

Evan
05-08-2007, 10:14 AM
cleaning motor with intake off and heads not properly sealed

Evan
05-08-2007, 10:15 AM
thanks for the good advice... anyone else have a great idea that doesn't involve head removal?

JD525IA
05-08-2007, 12:27 PM
thanks for the good advice... anyone else have a great idea that doesn't involve head removal?

1/8" plastic tubing, to get into the open intake valve and remove the lion's share of the water?

JD

Evan
05-08-2007, 12:55 PM
I did exactly that to suck the water out. I used a long thin attachment with three straws taped to the end.

Tiger
05-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Air gun with air compressor will dry it out in no time... I would crank engine over a couple of times with all spark plugs out too.

Ferret
05-09-2007, 02:15 AM
Air gun with air compressor will dry it out in no time... I would crank engine over a couple of times with all spark plugs out too.

I've used the crank with no sparkplugs trick before, for starting up an M50 with a cracked head...

It'd fill the cylender 3 with water in about an hour or so...