PDA

View Full Version : spread some parts along the road

RallyD
05-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Laid into it yesterday and heard a terrible sound. At first I thought that I did some major damage to the engine but there was still power. Apparently the fan blades decided to take flight and destroy the radiator and anniliate the shroud. When the first few blades let go I had romped it leaving a light and saw some black pieces coming out the back. Didn't think much about it. Initially thought I ran over some debris. Then while accelerating onto the highway the **** hit the fan, er, the fan hit the **** with all the remaining blades flying off at 6000rpm.
i'll take some pics but didn't have a chance because its the wife's car and already pulled the radiator to see if it could be repaired.
probably wouldn't have happened if the fan clutch was warmed up, oh well.

Jon K
05-07-2007, 08:53 PM
hood dent up?

RallyD
05-07-2007, 09:10 PM
dont think so, but didn't want to look i was so pissed.
but on the bright side it'll be really easy to change the belts

winfred
05-07-2007, 09:16 PM
those fan blades suck, sometimes ill sell a half to a whole dozen new ones in a weeks time, unless the clutch is locked up (seen it) it should kick out by design before it gets to dangerous speeds

t.wak
05-08-2007, 03:55 AM
This happened with my car, also... Had to replace my radiator, etc as well. Cut a fair bit out of the sound-deadening material on the hoot and put a couple of small dents in my hood. Unfortunately it stretched the metal so is not a cheap task to fix.

70383roadrunner
05-08-2007, 06:14 AM
those fan blades suck, sometimes ill sell a half to a whole dozen new ones in a weeks time, unless the clutch is locked up (seen it) it should kick out by design before it gets to dangerous speeds

So I would asume that you are saying that the fan blade should be replaced before this happends. Would you suggest buying original BMW or aftermarket? I have never replaced mine.

winfred
05-08-2007, 06:34 AM
oe bmw if you are going to try to head it off before it explodes

So I would asume that you are saying that the fan blade should be replaced before this happends. Would you suggest buying original BMW or aftermarket? I have never replaced mine.

txp135
05-08-2007, 09:00 AM
So what's the replacement interval?

nixter
05-08-2007, 10:46 AM
So what's the replacement interval?

+1

winfred
05-08-2007, 10:52 AM
complete crap shoot as to when it's going to blow, ****er may last another 300k miles or blow up the next time you start

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-08-2007, 12:19 PM
a bad motor mount can let the motor torque upwards on a quick start and allow the fan to munch the shroud

bsell
05-08-2007, 12:57 PM
complete crap shoot as to when it's going to blow, ****er may last another 300k miles or blow up the next time you start

You just made us all very happy!;)

I guess I had best take a good look in the daylight tomorrow as I just blew money on the front suspension arm replacement deal and figure some other part of the car will be jealous now...

Brian

70383roadrunner
05-08-2007, 05:10 PM

Any suggestion for manufacturer brand?

winfred
05-08-2007, 08:48 PM
the dealer would probably be the best i haven't really found a aftermarket unit that impressed me, should be around $50

Any suggestion for manufacturer brand?

70383roadrunner
05-09-2007, 06:12 AM
the dealer would probably be the best i haven't really found a aftermarket unit that impressed me, should be around $50

Thanks.

Ferret
05-09-2007, 06:15 AM
You just made us all very happy!;)

I guess I had best take a good look in the daylight tomorrow as I just blew money on the front suspension arm replacement deal and figure some other part of the car will be jealous now...

Brian

Hahaha, such a bitch when that happens...

Mental images of an angry fan under the hood gumbling "F*cker!" and going up with a nasty pop.

RallyD
05-11-2007, 06:19 AM
well put in the repaired radiator and the new fan, damaged the trans cooler so temporarily bypassed it until I can take the radiator out again and put in a new cooler. man oh man that tranny fluid is under some pressure!! lost 3 qts in about 45sec. didnt realize it was spewing like a guyser (sp.) until i noticed the spray hitting my 525. The cooler pipes were not aligned correctly and I ripped the o-rings and damaged the aluminum block connector.
now my biggest issue is the tranny. Lets fill it from the pan, thats a great idea WTF. and we'll give you some temperatures that you'll need it to be at so it can spill out some more as if 3 qts in the driveway wasn't enough!!!!???!!
well its ok for now... no dents in hood thatk God.