PDA

View Full Version : Rear maplights...

MTechnik540i
05-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Wondering where I can find a how-to article, or any information at all, about rear maplights?

TIA,

Rigmaster
05-07-2007, 08:00 PM
What do you need to know?? I took some out of a parts car and stuck them in my wife's car and they work fine- no mods necessary.

I'm talking about the C-pillar mounted lights, is that what you mean????

Bret.

MTechnik540i
05-07-2007, 08:04 PM
What do you need to know?? I took some out of a parts car and stuck them in my wife's car and they work fine- no mods necessary.

I'm talking about the C-pillar mounted lights, is that what you mean????

Bret.

Just wondering if there's any modification. As it stands, on both of the E34s we've got courtesy lights, but no maplights. Supposedly, some Euro models (or something) had maplights you could turn on/off. Just wondering what's required to do those.

Are these what you're talking about Bret?

BigKriss
05-07-2007, 08:23 PM
I have those, they came with the car.

Supposedly, some Euro models (or something) had maplights you could turn on/off. Just wondering what's required to do those.

Are these what you're talking about Bret?

LunatiC
05-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Most US-spec cars come without map reading lights, while most Rest of the World E34s came with them.

My Aussie-spec E34 came with them:
Link to the map reading light image (http://acherion.com/blog/wp-content/bmw/IMG_0774.jpg)

I haven't pulled one off to see how it works or how it's wired up, however if the main courtesy light (in the front above the rear vision mirror) is anything to go by, you should just be able to replace your old rear lights with the upgraded ones -- plug and play. The map reading lights are just basically a globe and a switch.

MTechnik540i
05-07-2007, 08:46 PM
I have those, they came with the car.

Very nice, care to post pictures of the backsides/wiring?

///Sniper535
05-07-2007, 08:51 PM
I love my rear maplights, even though i never use them.

Kalevera
05-07-2007, 11:20 PM
I retrofitted them into my 535 after seeing Bret's wife's car. Plug and play. Not like they get used, but...

I'm going to install a set in my touring as well, I have like 3 sets of these things.

Denton
05-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Why the hell did BMW **** the US over so hard...I mean, I understand that some of the DOT regulations were ridiculous but come on! No rear headrests? On a $40k+ car! No rear map lights? DAMN!

shogun
05-08-2007, 12:16 AM
I retrofitted them into my 535 after seeing Bret's wife's car. Plug and play. Not like they get used, but...

I'm going to install a set in my touring as well, I have like 3 sets of these things.

Me too, all from E32 750, probably like yours :D
E34 and E32 reading lights are the same, so look for E32 on boneyards

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=63318350071&showus=on&showeur=on

BTW: the lights on the E32 behind the sunvisor are wonderful as extra light to use in the trunk. :D
Installed 2 of them.

LunatiC
05-08-2007, 01:11 AM
BTW: the lights on the E32 behind the sunvisor are wonderful as extra light to use in the trunk. :D
Installed 2 of them.

I remember there was a write-up on this somewhere (not sure if it was your write-up), would you happen to have a link for this shogun?

shogun
05-08-2007, 01:40 AM
Yes, I posted that early 2005, but I do not have the pics anymore.
Anyway, very easy to install.
Cut some space out from the cover at the rear in the trunk between the taillights and insert the lights. Connect those wires from the lights to the other trunk light and it will be on whenever the trunk os opened.
In Germany some people also have installed those lights at other places in the trunk, just as they liked it.

Paul in NZ
05-08-2007, 02:13 AM
40 Ks hahahaha thats why.I have got maplights every where,but the original owner of my car spent over 125,000 for the privelige!The exchange rate doesnt cover that!

rickm
05-08-2007, 02:47 AM
I bought these a couple of months ago. Installation was easy - pop the old lights out, pull the bulbs, insert into new fixture. Oh, you'll need a 12v bulb (like the ones in your front map lights) for that part.

From my April post
-------

The PNs have changed, here are the new numbers (the frames around the lights are black, not gray).

63 31 8 359 071
63 31 8 359 072

The bulbs from your non switched cabin lights will work in the cabin light part of these but you'll need one of the 12v bulbs (map light) in order for the switched part to work.

I just bought 2 of these and they paid for themselves during our first road trip as my daughter was able to sit in the back and read books for about 3 hours. These lights are *bright*.

BigKriss
05-08-2007, 04:40 AM
usd$40k, is that all, try aud$100,000 which is about usd$80k

Why the hell did BMW **** the US over so hard...I mean, I understand that some of the DOT regulations were ridiculous but come on! No rear headrests? On a $40k+ car! No rear map lights? DAMN!

rickm
05-08-2007, 06:41 AM
[QUOTE=BigKriss]usd$40k, is that all, try aud$100,000 which is about usd$80k[/QUOTE

Oh, the lights - if you can find them - are about 60.00 per side. The interior light bulbs are cheap but the 12v for the reading/map lights are about 20 bucks if you go to the stealer (I've seen them for 7.00 online).

attack eagle
05-08-2007, 02:21 PM
dang it... another part I need to get now. I hate the courtesy light lenses in the rear... they look cheap.

The other lights you guys are using for trunk lights from e32 behind the sunvisor... the ones in the headliner with two light elements?

Are they like these?

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/AttackEagle/bimmer/100_1388.jpg

I was just wondering because if sedans don't have them... what do they use for makeup lights?

(yes it is time to redo the headliner)

LunatiC
05-08-2007, 04:50 PM
The other lights you guys are using for trunk lights from e32 behind the sunvisor... the ones in the headliner with two light elements?

Are they like these?

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/AttackEagle/bimmer/100_1388.jpg

I was just wondering because if sedans don't have them... what do they use for makeup lights?

(yes it is time to redo the headliner)

I think ALL E34s have these make-up lights, both sedans and wagons (maybe not the earlier E34s pre-1990 or 1991). I think what shogun was saying is if you have extra ones or can find them off a parts car for example, you can install extra ones in your trunk for more light.

DaveVoorhis
05-08-2007, 04:55 PM
I think ALL E34s have these make-up lights
Really? Don't have them in my current E34; didn't have them in my previous one.

LunatiC
05-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Well then I thought wrong :D

Maybe the "Executive" package had them (my E34 is an Exec, and maybe all US-spec ones are Exec as well).

Rigmaster
05-08-2007, 08:49 PM
It's been a while since I did this- but I know it was 100% plug'n'play, otherwise I wouldn't have done it.... ;)

I think the lights with maplight function came from an '89 525i parts car I bought locally. It was a real basic car, no wood trim, etc, but it did have leather interior (as do all E34's sold in USA AFAIK).

Bret.

SC David
05-09-2007, 12:07 AM
This is one of the few options that my car actually came with. And they have been utilized :)

I wouldn't hesitate to swap them out for some tan heated seats though :p

wingman
05-09-2007, 02:30 AM
I have an '89 'Executive' which in OZ means a factory up-specced car (it has a few extras but I wont bore you). I have vanity lights under the visors but no map lights in the rear. It is possible that many of these things were ordered by the individual customer or the stealership was up-speccing certain cars to lure potential customers. Who knows. One thing for sure is the list of variables is infinite (sort of...). When I bought my car the dealer had another E34 that had cloth seats, no sunroof, manual, no cruise and wind yourself windows!!!

rickm
05-09-2007, 04:07 AM
It's been a while since I did this- but I know it was 100% plug'n'play, otherwise I wouldn't have done it.... ;)

It is. Insert the bulbs into the new one then slip a small flathead screwdriver into the notch in the light frame and it pops out. Grab the cable, unplug then plug the new one in.

We used them on our last road trip, my daughter was able to occupy herself for a while being able to read instead of asking "are we there yet?" every 2 minutes.

Paul in NZ
05-09-2007, 04:46 AM
during the winter the only light that comes on when i enter or exit the car is the drivers maplight.All other lights are off.On the other hand if i am ferrying other people every interior liht is switched to come on with the door switch,

LunatiC
05-09-2007, 06:10 AM
That's interesting Paul, how come you have set your car up like that for winter?

attack eagle
05-15-2007, 12:05 AM
We used them on our last road trip, my daughter was able to occupy herself for a while being able to read instead of asking "are we there yet?" every 2 minutes.

That is exactly why I have a portable dvd player with a head rest bracket and headphones in the Touring... :D

Jehu
05-15-2007, 12:33 AM
Most US-spec cars come without map reading lights, while most Rest of the World E34s came with them.

My Aussie-spec E34 came with them:
Link to the map reading light image (http://acherion.com/blog/wp-content/bmw/IMG_0774.jpg)

I haven't pulled one off to see how it works or how it's wired up, however if the main courtesy light (in the front above the rear vision mirror) is anything to go by, you should just be able to replace your old rear lights with the upgraded ones -- plug and play. The map reading lights are just basically a globe and a switch.

They must think American's are illiterate...lol..

Paul in NZ
05-15-2007, 06:22 AM
That's interesting Paul, how come you have set your car up like that for winter?
Just me being paranoid about draining the battery...i uusually leave my parking lights on.(by accident)

BFEINZIMER
05-16-2007, 08:53 AM
i gotta get me pair of these lol

Ferret
05-16-2007, 10:11 AM
I have an '89 'Executive' which in OZ means a factory up-specced car (it has a few extras but I wont bore you). I have vanity lights under the visors but no map lights in the rear. It is possible that many of these things were ordered by the individual customer or the stealership was up-speccing certain cars to lure potential customers. Who knows. One thing for sure is the list of variables is infinite (sort of...). When I bought my car the dealer had another E34 that had cloth seats, no sunroof, manual, no cruise and wind yourself windows!!!

Manual windows in an E34... wtf?

Ferret
05-16-2007, 10:13 AM
Really? Don't have them in my current E34; didn't have them in my previous one.

Not had any of these in any of my E34's either... wonder if it's a US spec thing.

LunatiC
05-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Not had any of these in any of my E34's either... wonder if it's a US spec thing.

Read the rest of the thread, it is part of the "Executive" pack, something that is standard in the US market but optional for Rest of the World.

attack eagle
05-16-2007, 05:37 PM
I missed out on a set on ebay from koala. they didn't test the bulbs, and as expensive as the bulbs are i couldn't justify paying more than $35 for them w/o knowing the bulbs were good.

indierthanthou
05-16-2007, 06:30 PM
They must think American's are illiterate...lol..

I dont know about you, broseph, but if I'm in the backseat I'm not worried about a map. Anyone else can use the light from ther cell phone.

Kalevera
05-17-2007, 12:57 AM
I missed out on a set on ebay from koala. they didn't test the bulbs, and as expensive as the bulbs are i couldn't justify paying more than $35 for them w/o knowing the bulbs were good.

As I said, I still probably have one or two sets of these. We don't guarantee the bulbs because they could go bad during shipping, but I usually test the lights before pulling them from the car.

wingman
05-17-2007, 03:23 AM
Manual windows in an E34... wtf?

Bizarre isn't it. I had a good look at the car as it had 163,000kms and was in good nick. It was a 'bare bones' car that I would presume would have been a car that the buyer wanted the E34 but couldn't afford ANY extras...

attack eagle
05-17-2007, 04:04 AM
As I said, I still probably have one or two sets of these. We don't guarantee the bulbs because they could go bad during shipping, but I usually test the lights before pulling them from the car.
hey no problem and no complaint here kalevera... I completely understand... I merely pushed as high as I felt comfortable doing knowig I could end up spending $40 at the stealer for bulbs.

That last hour 0 feedback bidder had me covered all the way up to my max bid, and then some.
I feel good that i was able to at least get him over $35 for you even if i didn't win...

Paul in NZ
05-17-2007, 04:56 AM
40 bucks for bulbs......!what kind of bulbs are they!

attack eagle
05-17-2007, 05:37 AM
the map lights... $17 A POP AT THE STEALER , and they are stealer only, no generic bulb fitment

Fred/Houston
05-17-2007, 08:44 AM
It is. Insert the bulbs into the new one then slip a small flathead screwdriver into the notch in the light frame and it pops out. Grab the cable, unplug then plug the new one in.

Hi,
I picked up a set yesterday after reading this thread, at the JY for $10 for both.
I went to install them last night & noticed my 540 has 4 wires leading to a connector with 2 wires coming out of the connector going to the lamp.
The lamp w/maplight that I got has 3 wires leading to it and has a 3 prong connector while my car has a 2 prong connector.
All the wires are there to do a splice, but none of you mentioned anything about splicing?
I just wanted to ask if you did any re-wiring before I start cutting wires on mine.
Thanks
Fred/Houston

Fred/Houston
05-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Wondering where I can find a how-to article, or any information at all, about rear maplights?

TIA,
I found the write-up here:

http://www.digest.net/bmw/archive/v7/msg10737.html
Hth's
Fred/Houston