PDA

View Full Version : Where the hell am I leaking oil?!

Jon K
05-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Can anyone lend a moment and tell me where the hell this oil is coming from? My car leaks a good bit. I am trying to find out where the hell its coming from. At first I thought the oil filter housing (which it still could be!) but I checked the bolts above the alternator and they were all tight and I couldn't see anything obvious. I got on the ground and snapped these images:

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/Oil%20Leak/oilleak1.jpg

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/Oil%20Leak/oilleak2.jpg

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/Oil%20Leak/oilleak3.jpg

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/Oil%20Leak/oilleak4.jpg

Any one lend help?

Could it be the front crankshaft seal? It looks like the oil is thinnest around the crank pulley though, definitely looks like its "dripping from above" but I cannot tell!

Would the head leak oil? I can see a little moisture up there at the head, but that coil just be moisture from it being almost 200,000 old. No coolant in oil, no oil in coolant, very very minimal coolant loss (maybe a 1/3 quart every 5 - 7k miles.

Dr. evil
05-07-2007, 06:06 PM
looks like the crank seal to me

Dave M
05-07-2007, 07:20 PM
How wet is the head/block at the #1 cylinder? Do you have a pic? Since you mention the oil filter housing, whats the other side look like? When mine leaked it was very obvious it was the housing.

When you say its thinnest at the crank pully, do you mean the oil thins out once it reaches the area behind the balance (assuming its flowing down from above)? Oil texture looks fairly consistant from top to bottom in photos, which would lead me to put my $$ on the front seal. Maybe shove a long Q-tip in between the balancer and the timing cover and check for fresh oil.

More questions than answers,

Dave

Jon K
05-07-2007, 07:53 PM
How wet is the head/block at the #1 cylinder? Do you have a pic? Since you mention the oil filter housing, whats the other side look like? When mine leaked it was very obvious it was the housing.

When you say its thinnest at the crank pully, do you mean the oil thins out once it reaches the area behind the balance (assuming its flowing down from above)? Oil texture looks fairly consistant from top to bottom in photos, which would lead me to put my $$ on the front seal. Maybe shove a long Q-tip in between the balancer and the timing cover and check for fresh oil.

More questions than answers,

Dave

I will get back to you on all of that!

632 Regal
05-07-2007, 07:57 PM
agreed crank seal, you can see where its spraying the parts above it.

Jon K
05-07-2007, 08:29 PM

I guess this means I won't be fixing it. That bitch is HARD to replace, I need to get the crank bolt out with the engine in the car!

winfred
05-07-2007, 09:13 PM
heres the same thing i tell our oily customers, lets wash it down and check back in a couple days and see whats leaking, kinda hard to diagnose a chia pet looking engine as to where the oil is coming from

Jon K
05-07-2007, 09:28 PM
heres the same thing i tell our oily customers, lets wash it down and check back in a couple days and see whats leaking, kinda hard to diagnose a chia pet looking engine as to where the oil is coming from

Winfred - any preferred "wash" method on that there ****?

Robert K
05-07-2007, 09:29 PM
When chasing a leak down, the first thing to do is clean it as well as you can. Once it's clean, you may even want to put the front end safely in the air, start the engine, and go looking for the leak with a flashlight. If you don't find it with the engine idling, take it for a short drive and come back and look again. But it is very difficult to locate a leak when everything in sight already has a coat of oil grime on it.

I don't know what engine you have, but I know on my 3.5 liter engine in my 535i, a large oil leak towards the front of the engine is almost always from the two bolts that hold the crank position sensor bracket to the timing chain cover. These two bolts go through the timing chain cover. If these bolts loosen up, which they are prone to do on the 3.5 liter engine, you will have a leak. As me how I know.

Hope you find it.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

Ferret
05-08-2007, 12:06 AM
Here's a quick suggestion : check that the seal on the timing chain tensioner's not leaking - or backing itself out slowly... that's right underneath it.

EDIT: It looks like it's definitely coming from above, as if it was coming from behind the flywheel it'd have splattered that nice shiney turbo bit (I cant tell whether that's a wastegate or a dump valve :O ) with at least some small amount of crap...

I'd check the chain tensioner, and the plate that sits in front of the upper timing sprockets on the front of the head... that's the other possible culprit other than the rocker cover gasket.

winfred
05-08-2007, 06:36 AM
whatever your favorite degreaser is, simple green usually works good

Winfred - any preferred "wash" method on that there ****?

Jon K
05-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Here's a quick suggestion : check that the seal on the timing chain tensioner's not leaking - or backing itself out slowly... that's right underneath it.

EDIT: It looks like it's definitely coming from above, as if it was coming from behind the flywheel it'd have splattered that nice shiney turbo bit (I cant tell whether that's a wastegate or a dump valve :O ) with at least some small amount of crap...

I'd check the chain tensioner, and the plate that sits in front of the upper timing sprockets on the front of the head... that's the other possible culprit other than the rocker cover gasket.

Thats a wastegate and I cleaned that off, it was covered in gross goo.

Ferret
05-08-2007, 08:45 AM

Ah, yeah then probably the front crank oil seal...

bsell
05-08-2007, 01:02 PM

I thought so too at first but got to wondering why the back edge of the crank pully looks so dry? I figure the back edge of it should have signs of oil slinging off it.

Look at the oil return line from the turbo into the pan. Does anyone else see a line of oil running down it and dripping off just out of the frame?

Brian

bsell
05-08-2007, 01:05 PM

I wonder if you have excessive crankcase pressure from piston blowby overwellming your PCV system now that you have the turdbo running?

If you do, I can imagine every seal leaking oil...

Brian

Jon K
05-08-2007, 01:18 PM
I thought so too at first but got to wondering why the back edge of the crank pully looks so dry? I figure the back edge of it should have signs of oil slinging off it.

Look at the oil return line from the turbo into the pan. Does anyone else see a line of oil running down it and dripping off just out of the frame?

I wonder if you have excessive crankcase pressure from piston blowby overwellming your PCV system now that you have the turdbo running?

If you do, I can imagine every seal leaking oil...

Brian

Brian, the oil return does not have a line of oil coming down, its actually discolored there for some reason. I have cleaned that line over and over but never comes off and if I had a pic from teh build you could see it has a brown/black stripe down the hose. It runs from the top to the bottom and is very uniform.

I don't have pressure in the PCV system, I am venting my crank case to the atmosphere, and pressure that might get in there would escape right out the 3/4" hole at the top of the valve cover.

Evan
05-08-2007, 02:00 PM
check pcv system... i'm in the process of redoing mine.

the pcv plate caused my motor to "spew" five quarts of oil... from the rear main im assuming, as the front of the motor stayed dry while the car was soaked in oil from the flywheel back.

i searched for a leak but couldn't find one.. then it would come back again when the pressure built up enough to force more oil out.. usually when i drove more than 20 minutes.

Jon K
05-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Guys it is not the PCV as I do not have the setups like you guys have.

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/525ValveCover/candy7.jpg

I have a filter right to atmosphere. I can watch fumes come from it so I know its not "clogged" or otherwise.

Ferret
05-09-2007, 02:31 AM
Guys it is not the PCV as I do not have the setups like you guys have.

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/525ValveCover/candy7.jpg

I have a filter right to atmosphere. I can watch fumes come from it so I know its not "clogged" or otherwise.

Get us a picture of your chain tensioner fitting... if you can get your camera under there. Can you get any shots of higher up the casings?

bsell
05-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Guys it is not the PCV as I do not have the setups like you guys have. I have a filter right to atmosphere. I can watch fumes come from it so I know its not "clogged" or otherwise.

So now we are back to where is the oil coming from...

I'm afraid you need to strip the front of the engine to find the source. I figure at the least you will need to get the fan and pulley out of the way to see the front of the engine north of the crank pulley. Once that crap is out of the way, you should get a better handle on where this mess originates. I'm figuring the wind from below the radiator is creating the confusion of where the leak is.

Brian