PDA

View Full Version : Want to Lower Touring

mikeythekidd
05-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Okay all you touring owners...I've looked everywhere and still can't find the answer. I want to lower my touring 1" IN THE FRONT ONLY! The Bently shows how to lower the rear by adjusting the auto-leveling suspension. Every spring kit I've seen is for 4 springs. I even emailed Yyves @ BMA and he wanted to sell me the Sachs kit. I don't wnt to spend $700.00 and throw away half of the parts!
Anyone out there lower their touring? Please let me know how.

Kalevera
05-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Buy the sachs kit, install the fronts and keep the rears for when your LAD fails.

I ordered mine last week. Patrick had one kit left after I bought mine (at that point).

mikeythekidd
05-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Yeah Kal...so far that's the the best solution I've seen, but I haven't read anything good about deleting the LAD which I presume one would have to do in order to use the Sachs stuff. Besides the PO was nice enought to have the hydrolics replaced about 10,000 miles ago. :-)

BimmerMeUp
05-06-2007, 04:17 PM
If you only need a 1" drop, order a set of M-Tech front springs from your favorite supplier of BMW parts (on-line or otherwise.)

Here's a link to an article on these: http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/E34Touring/Suspensions.htm

This way you have two options when you do the rears. Option 1: get M-Tech springs for the SLS Rear or Option 2: Get M-Tech springs for the non-SLS Rear.

Here's the part number for your car:
BMW Technic Front Spring Assembly 31 33 1 138 810

If you want to make it a bit lower, use the 3mm upper front pads, instead of the 9mm stock pads. (Note: These numbers are from the M5 parts list):

FRONT SPRING PAD UPPER 3mm 31 33 1 128 523

The springs cost me $111.00 each the pads were like $4.00 from Maximilian Imports.

Here's some photos for reference:

Front before an after:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/pkhines/difference2.jpg

Front with Style 32's installed:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/pkhines/stye32front.jpg

On my car the most of the SLS System was leaking or trashed so deleting the SLS was the only option. I really didn't want to do it.

Fortunately, the M-Tech springs combined with Bilstein HD's came out great and the car handles better than it ever did. I've got about 1000 miles on the setup so far and no regrets.

Tiger
05-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Or just go to the dealer and order the front M-tech springs.

Kalevera
05-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Right, I agree -- I've driven a lot of cars (usually with bilsteins and "sport" springs that were sold to an unsuspecting owner) that have had LAD deletes and they've all been pretty bad. LAD is great.

I've always liked the sachs kit in my 535. The car handles amazingly well with uprated sways, it's predictable and it's comfortable for a sport suspension. Better yet, you can align the car and have it stay in spec because the kit is matched to the chassis. LAD parts are expensive. I just warrantied a shock -- the lady that owned the car prior to me had a garage replace one and it blew out again (between you and me, they installed it incorrectly). She paid $900+ for one shock, I was invoiced $700 for the part (covered by warranty, of course).

Were I faced with the decision of replacing them out of pocket, I'm not sure that it would be worth it given the sachs kit option, and the availability of factory non-LAD touring parts -- '94/'95 don't have self leveling. I know of only one person who's installed the sachs kit on a touring, and I haven't heard his impressions of it yet.

I'm going to try it out and see what I think of it. My only real concern is weight bias and keeping the headlights level with a lot of weight on the rear axle, which is the entire purpose of LAD.

attack eagle
05-06-2007, 10:01 PM
IF you are worried about the headlights under load with an SLS Delete, you could always install Hella Smileys WITH adjuster motors and adjuster switch... works great.

mikeythekidd
05-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Finally, after much searching and many calls, I got the Touring lowered.
I bought Mtech springs and Boge shocks from BMA for the front only. The whole deal came to roughly $400.00 with new 3mm upper spring pads, new bump stops and strut carrier bolts.
I threw them in yesterday with just hand tools and a pair of Craftsman spring compressors. Put on new pads and rotors while I was in there. The whole job took about 8 hours including a parts/beer run.
Wow...what a difference! The front is now approx 1 1/4" lower which looks perfect. The car now sits level because the rear has always seemed a little lower. It corners like it's on rails and the ride is certainly a little firmer but comfort was not compromised in the least. It is diffinatly the hot ticket for anyone wanting to drop a Touring without messing with the LAD!

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-31-2007, 06:12 PM
Gotta do my Touring's struts, and that sounds like a nice compromise over throwing in a set of Eibachs.

John B.
05-31-2007, 07:06 PM
Our 95 525i Touring has a pretty harsh ride over the bumps even with recent stock shocks courtesy of the P/O & original springs. I assume that the touring has stiffer rate springs to handle the load its capable of carrying but I would like to soften up the ride abit. I installed M-Tech springs/Boge Turbo Gas shocks on my 90 535i & the ride is much more compliant over the bumps then the Touring. Would the Touring M-Tech springs be stiffer then the stock springs or are you using the sport springs designed for the sedan?

mikeythekidd
06-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Our 95 525i Touring has a pretty harsh ride over the bumps even with recent stock shocks courtesy of the P/O & original springs. I assume that the touring has stiffer rate springs to handle the load its capable of carrying but I would like to soften up the ride abit. I installed M-Tech springs/Boge Turbo Gas shocks on my 90 535i & the ride is much more compliant over the bumps then the Touring. Would the Touring M-Tech springs be stiffer then the stock springs or are you using the sport springs designed for the sedan?
That's a great question! The springs were recommended to me by the guy I talked to @ BMA and he referred to them only as Mtech. The part # is 31 33 2 226 669.
I can tell you that my ride now is firmer (more BMW-like) but not harsh. I can also say that the new springs are about 3" shorter uncompressed. That might not be the route you wanna go if yer lookin' for compliance. I was looking to lower tastefully and still keep all my teeth in my head over bumps. To that end, I couldn't be happier. :D
I would give BMA a call. You might want to check out this page...lots of good stuff there. Good Luck.http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/E34Touring/Suspensions.htmhttp://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/E34Touring/Suspensions.htm

mikeythekidd
06-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Gotta do my Touring's struts, and that sounds like a nice compromise over throwing in a set of Eibachs.
Yeah Bob...I did Eibachs in the Lexus I owned in another life. I think they are great springs. They are just a little lower than I wanted to go and they only sell them in sets. I just wanted fronts only. There isn't really much $ savings ($210 vs $250). I just couldn't see buying 4 and tossing 2. Kind of a happy accident as much as anything.

shrike071
06-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Right, I agree -- I've driven a lot of cars (usually with bilsteins and "sport" springs that were sold to an unsuspecting owner) that have had LAD deletes and they've all been pretty bad. LAD is great.

Err...

I deleted the LAD and installed B&G Touring-specific springs with Bilstien HD's and the ride is nothing short of fantastic... And I have 18's with 40-series tires. No, I'm not a kid that thinks a harsh ride is cool. I'm a 35 y/o dude who crushed my spine a few years ago in an accident - so a smooth ride is pretty much essential to my existence.

It all depends on the components you use. Crappy, cheap springs will perform as such.

Elekta
06-01-2007, 09:32 PM
I just renewed my LAD with new accumulators and the valve bits and I am good as new for another 100k. Good as new and as designed....no heavy thinking, nothing to debate....worth the money and without the headache.

John B.
06-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Err...

I deleted the LAD and installed B&G Touring-specific springs with Bilstien HD's and the ride is nothing short of fantastic... And I have 18's with 40-series tires. No, I'm not a kid that thinks a harsh ride is cool. I'm a 35 y/o dude who crushed my spine a few years ago in an accident - so a smooth ride is pretty much essential to my existence.

It all depends on the components you use. Crappy, cheap springs will perform as such.

Who supplies the B&G springs? Are they a stiffer spring then stock? How much do they lower the car? The M-Tech springs that BMA is supplying for the Touring are the same ones I bought for my 535i. I'm sure these would be fine for the front but I have to wonder about the rear springs & how they would handle the extra weight of the touring.

John B.
06-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Bump!! Anyone else running the B&G springs? Anyone using them that lives in the snow belt? I'd be curious to hear how the ride is on frost ravaged roads.