PDA

View Full Version : BillR or Winifred: Tire Balancer questions...

Tiger
05-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Hey, what a day. I went to my uncle's shop to change out 4 tires on my tire changer that I paid half with my uncle... geez! They don't know how to use it nor did they install the replacement parts right that scruffed up wheels... After I fixed that... everything is sweet again. Okay... enough of my rant...

Now, the other part, is the wheel balancer and that is what I want to ask you guys about today... He has Coat 700 balancer and we calibrated that machine many time, but all in all, I can never get the wheel balanced with the first set of reading... maybe 1 of 10 attempts it will do so.

The wheels are alloys... should I be using alloy mode or dynamic mode... since with this type of wheel, you can't put the tape weight near the front edge of the wheel (no dish)... it set back like maybe 1.5" or so... I figured that is so I must use the alloy mode... but geez! Can never balance the tire on first set of readings...

Tiger
05-04-2007, 05:26 PM
On one wheel, I had to get 4 sets of weights to balance that sucker... Ripped all that weights off and try again many times. Tires are brand new and wheels are 5 years old... not abused.

The question is, is it me or do you think the machine is bad? What machine do you recommend? What do you use? Now, let's not get crazy and tell me I should invest in Hunter GSP9000 Roadforce for my own personal use...

Any opinions or suggestions? I just want tires balanced perfectly so that when I drive 75 or so that won't shake on me! Alot of tire shops sucks as they have those newby or don't care 'mechanics'.

winfred
05-04-2007, 06:19 PM
it almost takes voodoo to get it right with tape-a-weights on a older machine when you don't put the weights at the front edge (another reason i put the weights out at the edge ignoring aesthetics), the weight will never add up because you are changing the calculated position of the weight without changing the weight. the best advise i can give is use the setting where the machine puts all of the weights on the back (called static on my machine) and either put them on the back or in the center if you wanna play with it, if you wanna try a dual plane balance add around 25% to the front weight # it may still take a few trys as you are ****ing with the machines calculations

Tiger
05-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Mmm... I see what you are saying. You are right... such a pain. I almost wished they put a laser beam to mark the spot where it needs to be exactly.

I did do static balance to test it out... Takes two tries... balance out statically... then I figured why not try the dynamic after it is statically balanced... and boom... tells me I need more weight! I was like... geez! Forget that...

Maybe there is a good point to mark the wheel with eraseble marker and then later stick the tape weight where it needs to be.

I know when there is a dish, I can simply use dynamic balance to do the job.

Ya know... I am so pissed that I figured I should buy one and stick it in my garage... LOL...

What machine are you using now?

winfred
05-04-2007, 07:07 PM
it's not precise enough that about 12:00 when the lights are blinking won't be close enough, with in a inch or so generally doesn't matter unless you are going for the 1/10th oz where you don't really add weight as much as you move it around. mines a old ass coats one of the more common 10-15 year old ones, i can't remember the model at the moment

Tiger
05-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Ahh... okay... This Coat 700 is around 5 years old... maybe plus 1 or 2 more... so newer than yours...

I thought so on placement... so I can't be that far off... I was thinking... geez... my eyes are going bad that I can't get my wheels balanced the first shot!

winfred
05-04-2007, 10:42 PM
they are all pretty much the same up till the modern super duper $10k wonder machines

ps i just remembered it's a 1001, theres companys still rebuilding and selling them

Barney Paull-Edwards
05-05-2007, 04:00 AM
I am lucky enough to have time when doing my tyres. I balance the wheel alone,then put the tyre on, if its more than 100g, reject it, less than that, deflate and rotate until less than 25g, weights on inside between the calliper and front edge.Balancing wheels alone shows why you should not use cheap-**** wheels,my original ones are all 5g,two are 0g due to having moulding opposite valve.

Tiger
05-05-2007, 06:33 AM
Human Hunter Roadforce! LOL... gee... that must have took a long time to do that. But from thinking about it, you made it easy to do so.

1. Static Balance the wheel alone to determine the heavy spot.
(100 grams is alot of weight... .5 oz is like 15 grams...)

2. Mount the heavy side of the tire (according to the paint on the tire) where you put the weight... Since the weight spot is the light side to balance the heavy side....

3. Then balance the whole thing and should use minimal weights. Probably all less than 3/4 oz...

Great idea!

Tiger
05-05-2007, 06:34 AM
Anyone else who has their own or used wheel balancers? I want to hear from you too....

Barney Paull-Edwards
05-05-2007, 06:53 AM
Dont have own balancer,just a friendly shop. Meant oz,spent too much time in Adenau! The point about original wheels is serious,i went through 9 replica M5 wheels before rejecting them and buying originals,even BullyD`s tired originals balanced out at an average of 6oz bare and they were `90 wheels.

Tiger
05-05-2007, 07:06 AM
Wow... I should test this. I probably will do this Monday. I still got more tires to dismount. I got BMW originals and alot of replica but will test only one since that is the one I also got to dismount that freaking old tire...

That's some super friendly shop owner you got there.

632 Regal
05-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Tiger, theres only 28 grams per OZ and a baggie adds 1 gram...;)

Human Hunter Roadforce! LOL... gee... that must have took a long time to do that. But from thinking about it, you made it easy to do so.

1. Static Balance the wheel alone to determine the heavy spot.
(100 grams is alot of weight... .5 oz is like 15 grams...)

2. Mount the heavy side of the tire (according to the paint on the tire) where you put the weight... Since the weight spot is the light side to balance the heavy side....

3. Then balance the whole thing and should use minimal weights. Probably all less than 3/4 oz...

Great idea!

winfred
05-13-2007, 10:04 AM
heres one that came in the other day on some knock off M parallels
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/26/427251/wheel-weights.jpg
i think he could of gotten them connected if he'd spun it a couple more times :D if it wants weights 180 off from weights you already placed on the same side of the rim stop and use brain

Tiger
05-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Jeez! How many time did you spin that thing? LOL

I had a Coats service guy come and fix the machine... sensor was definitely bad. Came to $430 service call to fix the sensors and calibrate the machine. He taught me how to check the accuracy of the machine... very nice guy!

I figured out what cause the problem with aftermarket wheels as the service rep said... he said that center holes are not accurate... they are always slightly off in aftermarket wheels. Factory wheels are always perfect.

I

Tiger
05-13-2007, 02:37 PM
redid the wheels I was trying a while back and bam... 80MPH and smooth as silk.

I also figure out what to do with alloy wheels... with machine that has only one alloy mode... or any machine you want to use...

Spin the tire and put only the tape weight on the outer edge of the wheel... then spin again. It will then tell you how much to put on the inner edge... For the inner edge, use the hammer on alloy weight... why bother with tape weight. Then spin again to check, it should come out 00 00. That way if you messed up on the outer weight position... the inner one will balance it out.

Now, if the balancer said it is still not balance, I want you to loosen the clamp slightly... hold the tire and rotate shaft 45 degree... and tighten the clamp again... spin the tire again... shoudl balance out. This is why aftermarket wheels are hard to balance... something to do with the center hole position and how it sits on the cone.

winfred
05-13-2007, 08:02 PM
i didn't do that nasty balance job i was poking fun at it, all 4 wheels were like that so i took a couple pics while i was doing brakes on both ends, didn't even touch the balance as he didn't ask for it

Tiger
05-13-2007, 08:35 PM
I took a look again after I posted and I realized you didn't do that because of the existing brake dust... Geez! That must be over 12 oz of weight!

I'd get pissed if I have to use over 2 oz total!

winfred
05-13-2007, 09:46 PM
yea there about's i didn't really pay attention to the total just the ******* placement, did work on a hunk-o-**** bmw a couple weeks ago that had just shy of a half pound around one back wheel and 6.5 oz on the other