PDA

View Full Version : Trunk lock actuator issue

xspeedy
05-03-2007, 03:48 PM
I recently bought a 1994 525i (140K) and have been addressing issues one by one, with much help from these forums. I have replaced the thrust arms, done the headrest fix, replaced a faulty window regulator, and am now left scratching my head with a trunk actuator that doesn't want to lock/unlock with the rest of the doors. Locking/unlocking the trunk activates the other door locks, so there is at least a unidirectional signal going out to the vehicle.

I have performed the synchronization procedure, and have tried replacing the actuator with a new OE unit from BMA. From reading the boards, it sounded like my symptoms point to a bad actuator unit. I guess the next step is to check for power coming to the actuator when the door locks are toggled? Does anyone have any details regarding what wires the power comes on, or the next steps I might take to t-shoot the issue?

I want to give it my best before taking it to my indy.

Thanks!

Qsilver7
05-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Its not clear from your post...but do you have the trunk in the "secured" position?

The trunk can be connected or disconnected from the central locking system. When you need to secure items in the trunk...turn the trunk lock cylinder to the horizontal position ( -- ) and pull the key out...this will disconnect the trunk from the central locking system so that you can secure the trunk when you have items in there you would NOT like to be accessible when valet parking. The only way to open the trunk when it is secured is with the master key.

If you turn the trunk lock cylinder to the vertical position ( | ) ... then remove the key....the trunk will lock/unlock with the doors.

Again, if you've done this...I apologize...but its not mentioned in your post. :D

xspeedy
05-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the lock is in the vertical position.

xspeedy
05-24-2007, 04:56 PM
I took it to a good local BMW shop to have repaired. Turned out to be some pinched (cut) wiring on the driver's side harness, whatever that means. Regardless, the lock is now working. No more manual locking the trunk :)

632 Regal
05-24-2007, 09:06 PM
the infamous trunk arm wiring that always cracks and shorts out.
I took it to a good local BMW shop to have repaired. Turned out to be some pinched (cut) wiring on the driver's side harness, whatever that means. Regardless, the lock is now working. No more manual locking the trunk :)