PDA

View Full Version : It Sings!

Ferret
05-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Just got through my first full service today and noticed that the oil was far more knackered than I thought it should have been.

I've worked with diesels before and know what kind of state the oil gets into fast, but this was something else, almost reminded me of custard.

I think the PO might well have just had the lights reset at some point and run it for a double period without change...

Regardless, it's now changed for some cheap 5w-40 synth stuff and I've chucked a can of Slick 50 in there for good measure. I intend to change it again in 3-4k miles and use it as a kind of flush for the oil. Diesels are really hard on their oil... and there's a lot of shite in the block on this one.

The difference in behaviour is amazing...

The old oil must have been dragging on the turbo, because it feels jet propelled now. Tyre squealingly good fun to drive it, and the turbo almost sings to you with the howl it makes.

7.5 litre oil sump nearly caught me out as well, put my usual 5 l tray under there and nearly got got by the excess.

I'll give it 3 or 4k miles before I switch it over to Mobil1 Diesel 0w-30 as is recommended for this engine.

Barney Paull-Edwards
05-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Well done on getting the best BMW made! Suggest you do not use 0w-30 as it tends to reduce oil pressure when hot at idle,API-D5 spec works fine and costs a lot less(0w-30 gave me problems with feeding oil to two turbo`s), be religious on changes,this may make you shudder but I drop the level by a litre and top up with diesel, run engine and then change,the crap that comes out shows it works and mine has done 270k.Fit a magnet filter to the turbo oil feed,pays off.Good luck, oh, lag the down pipe to save the steering box from leaking.