PDA

View Full Version : IR Key problem

schwartz
05-03-2007, 01:42 PM
I am the proud owner of a 94' 540, it has the IR keyless entry with the two buttons in the key. I suddently canīt lock the car with the IR anymore, but I have no problem unlocking it. I have three keys to the car, two of them have been working fine. I donīt think that the third key has ever been programmed to the car, it looks brand new, I bought the car last year.

Could it be possible that itīs the IR reciever in the mirror thats faulty ?, and not the keys.
I have tried to reprogram the keys according to the instructions in the manual, but it doesnīt work.
Does any of you have any experience with this problem ?.

bbig119
05-03-2007, 09:56 PM
I am the proud owner of a 94' 540, it has the IR keyless entry with the two buttons in the key. I suddently canīt lock the car with the IR anymore, but I have no problem unlocking it. I have three keys to the car, two of them have been working fine. I donīt think that the third key has ever been programmed to the car, it looks brand new, I bought the car last year.

Could it be possible that itīs the IR reciever in the mirror thats faulty ?, and not the keys.
I have tried to reprogram the keys according to the instructions in the manual, but it doesnīt work.
Does any of you have any experience with this problem ?.

The short answer is that when it comes to keyless entry/alarm systems in the V8s its a bit of black hole. They changed systems several times in a short period of time and the information you'll find in searching is mixed at best.

When I bought my car last year the keyless worked 80% of the time. I once got caught for a while with the alarm stuck on. Suddenly and randomly one day the keyless stopped working altogether. When I had my car in the shop for a new clutch, I asked if they could take a look. The codes that my car was throwing pointed to a device called the pitch sensor(nobody seems to have heard of it or knows anything about it). I haven't had the $100 to take the chance that a new one might not fix the problem, I still don't have keyless working.

Look for EWS in your searching for keyless entry problems. I believe Bill R. posted some documents describing the rapid evolution of these systems. Its likely that your keyless system was only produced for a brief period in the V8s and that really limits the number of people who are able to help and also makes it very confusing trying to figure out who has what system when reading various threads on the subject.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'd be interested in your solution.

Bryan

schwartz
05-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the answer. I was also thinking about converting the keyless entry to RF instead, the IR doen't come with great reception distance.

Should I put my hopes up finding an easy way to convert the system, I would like to keep the closingfunction on the windows/sunroof and the alarm ?.
The thing that bothers me the most is that I render the buttons on the key useless.

pheno
05-04-2007, 12:47 AM
Have you tried re-initializing (programming) keys ? The procedure is described in users manual. I had to do this when changing battery from the second key. local BMW service should be able to reinitialize keys too.

schwartz
05-04-2007, 12:57 AM
I havenīt been able to re-initialize the keys. That is if you are refering to the procedure where you have to pres and hold one of the button while you push the other button.

I donīt think the car is responding to the lock-button (the big one) on either remote.

BuckNaked
05-04-2007, 04:49 PM
pitch sensor, I would guess that has to do with the immobilizer. If the car is being towed, the alarm will sound off due to the towing angle (pitch) of the car when it is being drag-towed.

I have a '95 540i, and the remote key fob is hit or miss at best.
Usually, I will exit the car, close door, press lock, and all buttons go down, then the drivers door unlocks after a split second. I have to unlock all and relock with the fob. Sometimes things happen so fast it is hard to tell what in the chain of events is setting it off, but it has scared the heck out of my son twice already.
Sometimes I lose patience with the remote, so I key lock. (you know if you hold the key in the lock position for a 5-count, all the windows and sunroof will close... sounds like a good start to a thread.)
I hit the lock button on the fob to hear the chirp. I am hoping this a positive signal that the alarm is active, but I have no proof.
I know that Brosher changed the actuator in the drivers door before I bought it, but that did not have any effect on the problem.

schwartz
05-05-2007, 12:15 AM
Somebody should make an repairkit for the keyless entry/alarm for the V8, it sounds like it every single one of them that have some kind of problem...

As I asked before, does any of you know of a way to convert it away from IR ?

Robin-535im
05-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Somebody should make an repairkit for the keyless entry/alarm for the V8, it sounds like it every single one of them that have some kind of problem...

As I asked before, does any of you know of a way to convert it away from IR ?
No comments on the post topic... but that's a beauty of a car. 540iT, shadowline, throwing stars... good find!!

pheno
05-05-2007, 03:44 AM
I hit the lock button on the fob to hear the chirp. I am hoping this a positive signal that the alarm is active, but I have no proof.

I believe if you key lock the alarm will be disabled. In that case the red led on dashboard won't blink. Only by using remote the alarm will be activated and the sign of that is blinking red led.