PDA

View Full Version : Troublesome front-end clunk

IN10CT
05-02-2007, 10:25 PM
I've been chasing a clunk from the front-end of my '89 535i. Seems worse over very small bumps in the road that really just vibrate the suspension rather than compress it. For instance I'll get it going over pavement cracks but not speed humps.

I've replaced the front struts and can rule that out. Everything "feels" tight but I'm wondering about the upper and lower control arms.

I'm also getting a weird vibration at 98km/h after replacing the front struts. Alignment problem?

Cheers,

Ferret
05-03-2007, 01:29 AM
I've been chasing a clunk from the front-end of my '89 535i. Seems worse over very small bumps in the road that really just vibrate the suspension rather than compress it. For instance I'll get it going over pavement cracks but not speed humps.

I've replaced the front struts and can rule that out. Everything "feels" tight but I'm wondering about the upper and lower control arms.

I'm also getting a weird vibration at 98km/h after replacing the front struts. Alignment problem?

Cheers,

Iirc - suspension clunks over rough terrain are almost always the drop links to the anti-roll/sway bar.

Morgenster
05-03-2007, 03:30 AM
Was one of the shocks blown?
When I had my right shock replaced the mechanic noticed the upper control arm ball joint was going out. Now I'm having it replaced and I also have low speed clunks when braking, it pulls slightly to the right when braking and I get the shimmy between 95 -115 kmh.

BigKriss
05-03-2007, 03:59 AM
Typical thrust arm (upper control arm) bushings gone bad, and the other clunking could be the ball joints on the upper or lower control arms, swaybar links, you have to get under there and check yourself.

Cheers,

Ross
05-03-2007, 06:43 AM
Second that, or perhaps strut mount.

kick7ca
05-03-2007, 07:36 AM

Cheers,

Most likely to be control arms and your hearing a bad ball joint.