PDA

View Full Version : Stomp test result questions

Boone.Msi
05-02-2007, 03:14 PM
I can't understand how the fault is displayed. Do you count the seconds each light apears? This is the order mine goes in:

___=cel light
___ ____ ____ ____ ____ _____________________
basicly it goes, light (pause) light (short pause) light (pause) light (short pause) light (pause) light(for like 4 seconds) then it starts over again...

so how does that translate into a number?

EDIT:

ok, shoguns tutorial is easier to figure out then the bmw34.net one.

acording to the test, it shows 1221 Oxygen Sensor 1.

I replaced my o2 sensors about 6k miles ago, when i first started experiencing my rough idle. Could a clogged cat cause a o2 sensor to crap out, better yet, could a crapped out o2 sensor cause me to fail emmissions.

im getting extremely aggravated with this.

Rus
05-02-2007, 04:03 PM
I don't have any experience with the V8 engines, but from reading previous threads it seems that common causes for 1221 and many other codes are vacuum leaks, such as from the PCV plate on these engines. Remember that just because the code says O2 sensor, doesn't mean the sensor is faulty. All it means is that signal received from the sensor is abnormal.

632 Regal
05-02-2007, 04:05 PM
reboot the computer, fixes mine all the time. Warm weather...dont need to worry about them pesky gasket/vacuum leaks til next fall.

Boone.Msi
05-03-2007, 12:02 AM
i swear i have replaced and fastened every vaccum hose there is on this motor. New PCV and all, il have to check the placement of the pcv, maybe i didnt fasten it onto that dump pipe(or whatever it is) very well...

Should i swap out o2 sensors anyways? The cats were deffinantly clogged when i put the new ones in.

632 Regal
05-03-2007, 12:23 PM
did you replace the throttle plate gasket too?

reboot the thing man

Boone.Msi
05-03-2007, 05:34 PM
well i did the "shogun reset" and before i got to the end of my street the check engine light was back on, followed by the 80's buick idle...

So what does that mean, that its definantly a mechanical problem? Im sad to say that im gonna have to drop it off to the only euro indy in town for an inspection and diagnosis before i drop even more of my once saved college money into this stylish piece of ****.

all i ask for is a passing emmisions test and a smooth idle, why lord WHY?! is that so hard to have.....:(

632 Regal
05-04-2007, 05:41 AM
wow that sucks... well at least I am convinced that something is really wrong, was hoping yours wasn't a problem. has to be something stupid and hope it isn't going to be a long costly process for you.

well i did the "shogun reset" and before i got to the end of my street the check engine light was back on, followed by the 80's buick idle...

Boone.Msi
05-04-2007, 07:01 PM
well my last attempt at fixing it, is going to be new 02 sensors, and a new MAF sensor.

Also, can you explain what the pipe underneath the intake manifold conected to the pcv plate does?

After this last fix and check-over im sending her off to get inspected.:(

632 Regal
05-05-2007, 10:57 AM
IIRC it sucks crankcase vapors from the front of the engine. It is sealed with an O ring and can also be a good source for a leak. Just like opening the oil filler cap you will notice a change in idle...hmm when I did my gaskets that part was quite loose but I didnt think about it at the time, thinking back I should have replaced it.

well my last attempt at fixing it, is going to be new 02 sensors, and a new MAF sensor.

Also, can you explain what the pipe underneath the intake manifold conected to the pcv plate does?

After this last fix and check-over im sending her off to get inspected.:(

Boone.Msi
05-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Yea, that thing was a pain in the ass to put on while lowering the intake manifold, i remember it being able to slide from the front to the back of the engine quite easily afterwards, it may not even be sealed onto the pcv plate. Im gonna kick myself in the face if its the root of all my problems...

632 Regal
05-05-2007, 02:26 PM
LMAO...like that midget in jackass

Im gonna kick myself in the face if its the root of all my problems...
I didnt even replace the front throttle gasket, need to pull the intake again to do that, will replace that stupid little O ring at the same time...Intakes are so much fun.

Boone.Msi
05-05-2007, 03:10 PM
your tellin me...

I bought the throttle gasket but couldn't get all the torque bolts off the TB to put it on, so now its just sitting in a box, beckoning for me to go put it on.

Boone.Msi
05-07-2007, 09:37 PM
WOW, look what i just stumbled across...

FAILING MAF SENSOR SYMPTOMS ARE:

Loss of TORQUE (Doesnt pull like it used to)
Misfires (lean)
Sometimes jerks when accelerating
Engine shakes and rattles
Engine dies when idling (at low rpm's) when cold
Sometimes Check Engine Light's on
Low Gas Mileage

The ones in bold are the symptoms of my cars problems, wtf, why didn't i think of this first...