PDA

View Full Version : Received strange purchase offers for my E34

amsmk
05-05-2004, 11:02 PM
This is the second weird purchase offer I have received for my E34 listed here. Both are from other countries. The first wanted to pay the full price, but then said something about sending money for triple of the agreed amount and told me I have to reimburse the rest.
Well, the same day a friend offered me a deal and left a deposit. Since I did not understand what the other guy was saying, I told him I already sold the car. Unfortunately my friend could not come up with the cash.
Today I received the second purchase offer from somewhere in Europe. I have a feeling this one too has a twist that I might not get.
Any one here has had the same experience with his listing?

winfred
05-05-2004, 11:10 PM
that's a real old scam, don't be temped you will get ****ed

amsmk
05-05-2004, 11:40 PM
That's what I thought, but intersted to know how they can do that. Thanks for the advice, I'll stay away from rotten deals.

TC535i
05-06-2004, 12:23 AM
When I was driving thru LA, some guy in an E28 535is was jocking my ride in traffic on the freeway... leaned out the window and asked if I wanted to sell it. :)

Turns out his car had 250k on it (mine has 214k)... those M30's go forever!

amsmk
05-06-2004, 12:39 AM
???? I don't get the point, may be I am too sleepy. It's 2:11 here.

shragon
05-06-2004, 01:09 AM
it's a scam.

they send you a fake money order that is over the amount you want. they ask you to wire the extra money back to them. so you cash it, and the bank doesn't catch it right away, so you see the money in your account. you then wire some of the money back to the scammer. the bank then finds out the money order is fake, you loose that money in your account. you're now stuck with sending your own money to the scammer.

this is a popular scam on ebay, autotrader, and other sites. the scammer will always be in another country. the other scam is the scammer saying he has a car for sale in another country, but you'll never see the car after sending the money to a fake escrow service.

andyman32
05-06-2004, 01:32 AM
Yes, it is a scam...

Someone actually sent me one of these forged cashier's checks. I could tell it was forged and turned it in to the police. I also called the bank from which it was "drafted". They said they were turning up 15-20 per day from autotrader and ebay.

amsmk
05-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Thank you all for the informations. The second buyer also asked me the same thing. It is now clear how they do their scamming. Thanks again

AZ_Jason_S
05-06-2004, 09:59 AM
The other scam is when you are a buyer. You buy an item, then the seller suggests using HIS escrow service. So you wire your money to his escrow service. Turns out neither the escrow service or the item you thought you purchased exist.

amsmk
05-06-2004, 11:46 AM
Western Union is their choice to send the money back. I think Western Union must take some action to track them down. I believe this country is one the best in the world as far as honesty among people and every one must do his best to keep it that way.

Warren N.CA
05-06-2004, 02:51 PM
It looks good to your bank. They deposit it. You think you have guaranteed funds, then several weeks later, it commes back and the bank debits youe account. LOL

This is the second weird purchase offer I have received for my E34 listed here. Both are from other countries. The first wanted to pay the full price, but then said something about sending money for triple of the agreed amount and told me I have to reimburse the rest.
Well, the same day a friend offered me a deal and left a deposit. Since I did not understand what the other guy was saying, I told him I already sold the car. Unfortunately my friend could not come up with the cash.
Today I received the second purchase offer from somewhere in Europe. I have a feeling this one too has a twist that I might not get.
Any one here has had the same experience with his listing?