PDA

View Full Version : Clutch engages low to floor

bissellh
05-02-2007, 06:43 AM
I have a new clutch, clutch and brake master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder in my 92 E34 525i. Now the clutch engages when my cltch pedal is very close to the floor. Before replacing the parts, the clutch engaged when the clutch pedal was nearly completely released. I do not think there is any air in the system. At least I can not feel any. Is this to be expected? I know the clutch pedal height is adjustable. Is the clutch release point adjustable?

Ferret
05-02-2007, 07:25 AM
I have a new clutch, clutch and brake master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder in my 92 E34 525i. Now the clutch engages when my cltch pedal is very close to the floor. Before replacing the parts, the clutch engaged when the clutch pedal was nearly completely released. I do not think there is any air in the system. At least I can not feel any. Is this to be expected? I know the clutch pedal height is adjustable. Is the clutch release point adjustable?

This is usually to be expected when a clutch has been changed, the release mechanism has to travel a lot further to release the thicker clutch plate iirc...

However... all the cars I've owned before the bmws have been manual, and the bmws all auto, so I've no idea what's normal for a bmw clutch.

dave b
05-02-2007, 02:51 PM

Is the pedal stroke smooth? If not, there could be air in the system that needs to work its way out through bleeding.

Is there resistance the entire way? If not, then you could have a bad slave or master cylinder that is slowly leaking.

Otherwise, I would agree with the earlier response - that's the way a new clutch feels.

db