PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think - engine look cleaner?

Jon K
04-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Here are a few pics of the progress, see if you can tell all that is different throughout each phase:

http://www.blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Turbo%20Build/alldone1.jpg

http://www.blowneuroz.com/mygallery/525ValveCover/candy6.jpg

http://www.blowneuroz.com/mygallery/Miscellaneous/nogms.jpg

More updates to follow!

wjbell
04-30-2007, 08:53 PM
The exhaust side of your turbo went from smooth and grey to rough and rusty. :)

But the valve cover looks nice.

It's too bad you couldn't route that turbo oil line somewhere in front of the valve cover and underneath the intake. It takes away from the cleanness of the engine going over the top like that. JMO.

Jon K
04-30-2007, 09:08 PM
The exhaust side of your turbo went from smooth and grey to rough and rusty. :)

But the valve cover looks nice.

It's too bad you couldn't route that turbo oil line somewhere in front of the valve cover and underneath the intake. It takes away from the cleanness of the engine going over the top like that. JMO.

That first pic was like the day of the completion - I used noise ninja to take a low light pic and it smoothed the surface of the turbo like that, it was grey though. Thats what 1300+ degrees F does to ****! I am getting it swaintech'd soon!

Macv
04-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Beautiful

Macv
04-30-2007, 09:34 PM
This thing going to be finished by June for the Chicago meet?

I'd love a ride ....... :D :D :D

aston_jag_tech
04-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Nice. How is the turbo engine doing with MS? It has been atleast, what 6 months now....?

Make a cosmetic heat shield for that turbo, or I guess you could make it functional and appealing too. ;)

Jon K
04-30-2007, 09:35 PM
This thing going to be finished by June for the Chicago meet?

I'd love a ride ....... :D :D :D

I am debating on going out to Chi town for it - it's together now, but I may be taking it apart to make it um.. "more" i guess you could say

Jon K
04-30-2007, 09:41 PM
Nice. How is the turbo engine doing with MS? It has been atleast, what 6 months now....?

Make a cosmetic heat shield for that turbo, or I guess you could make it functional and appealing too. ;)

Actually you laugh but there is this DIY mod using a stainless steel put cut in half, supra guys do it for years. I may do it. Might hit up walmart tomorrow for a nice shiny pot :)

Engine runs great. Want to see some videos?

http://www.blowneuroz.com/mygallery/m50cop.wmv

http://www.blowneuroz.com/mygallery/exhaust.wmv

The first video looks like it misfires when I move a connector but it was warming up and just went rich for a split second - the connector i move is unplugged ;)

aston_jag_tech
04-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Actually you laugh but there is this DIY mod using a stainless steel put cut in half, supra guys do it for years. I may do it. Might hit up walmart tomorrow for a nice shiny pot :)

I wont laugh I promise, I was a junky(back in the day) where I went to lowes or home depot for a...what??....performance intake... And I actually learned a little too :)

The pot will look great!!!

The first video looks like it misfires when I move a connector but it was warming up and just went rich for a split second - the connector i move is unplugged ;)

Im laughing at the second video...Check engine light, engine oil low, blah blah blah...

Superb job john!

Jon K
04-30-2007, 10:13 PM
Im laughing at the second video...Check engine light, engine oil low, blah blah blah...

Superb job john!

LOL check engine light is funny if I stomp test it shows "fuel pump fault" with like 20 other codes stating that the engine will not run, kind of humorous. The engine oil level is a pain though, I swapped oil pans in and used the sensor that was in there, it worked good for a long time. It started doing this oil level low so I threw a quart in there (i leak and burn some oil) and it didn't go away, so I check the level in the morning and it was like 1/3" over the "filled" mark. Meh.

Check engine, oil level, blah blah blah :)

Boone.Msi
04-30-2007, 10:14 PM
always impressive Jon, nice work.

Jon K
04-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks guys

aston_jag_tech
04-30-2007, 11:07 PM
20 codes...ahhaha....

I heard you dont need a LOT of oil pressure to the turbo
... Not sure on how low is ok though....yeah?

When I replaced the a freeze plug on the rear of my engine I noticed that the bolt bores on the crank for the flywheel go directly into the oil pan galley.
Then againg this is a M30 not a M50..... So I may be wasting key strokes....;)

Jon K
04-30-2007, 11:36 PM
yeah its not low - either way, the sump pick up is at the bottom of the pain, im not going to lose pressure. The oil pan is sealed from the trans also.

takumidrift30
04-30-2007, 11:49 PM
Good job men! Well looks pretty much better than the first pic, yeah too bad for oil line for the turbo. Keep it up!

Jon K
05-01-2007, 12:11 AM
I may re-route the oil line tomorrow, we'll see.

Macv
05-01-2007, 05:42 AM
Your voice is so sexy. I request more videos of you talking over my head.

no... im just playing. But I do love the videos.

clindahl
05-01-2007, 07:06 AM
That is one sweet engine setup! I must say that has been inspiration for quite a while as I've been contimplating a few different "toys" to build :)

Elekta
05-01-2007, 07:17 AM
hate to say it, but this is like a chick thread reading something like, "do these jeans make my ass look big"

about the equipment: I bought a hvlp sprayer a the depot a while back and was painting some chairs etal, but can I adapt this to powder coating, or do I have to have a dedicated rig for that. Am I mistaken in thinking you just have apply a charge to whatever metal you are painting to get powder coating paint to adhere? In the absence of a cooking room with the high heat, I thought there was a garage home unit that one could get at the depot.

Please show some of the gear you use to create these wonders under the skirt...er hood

Jon K
05-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Go check out www.caswellplating.com - you can't use a HPLV gun because it doesnt charge the powder. You ground the piece you are working on (negative charge) and positive charging the powder. The kits are not that expensive at all. The oven and prep work is the most BS of it all. Powder coating uses about 2 psi of pressure, its a low pressure process as you purely "waft" the powder to the part.

You think this looks hot under the hood... wait until summer ;)

http://www.blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Motor%20Build/allparts.jpg

Real excited for that!

winfred
05-01-2007, 07:39 AM
sears and harbor freight have powder coating guns, do they suck? i don't know but you still need a old oven to bake em in, you can't use a regular spray gun for POWDER coating because it's.....well powder

hate to say it, but this is like a chick thread reading something like, "do these jeans make my ass look big"

about the equipment: I bought a hvlp sprayer a the depot a while back and was painting some chairs etal, but can I adapt this to powder coating, or do I have to have a dedicated rig for that. Am I mistaken in thinking you just have apply a charge to whatever metal you are painting to get powder coating paint to adhere? In the absence of a cooking room with the high heat, I thought there was a garage home unit that one could get at the depot.

Please show some of the gear you use to create these wonders under the skirt...er hood

ryan roopnarine
05-01-2007, 07:43 AM
put the fuel rail cover back on.

Jon K
05-01-2007, 07:59 AM
put the fuel rail cover back on.

The fuel rail cover has discoloration at the front of it from rubbing the hood insulation for 10 years. I may end up painting it or something but it doesn't look very nice right now.

E34 530
05-01-2007, 08:16 AM
meh...

;)

mattyb
05-01-2007, 10:05 AM
nice one jon k!

632 Regal
05-01-2007, 10:42 AM
I see no pictures...

Sam-Son
05-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Engineering Masterpiece! Brilliant work

Barney Paull-Edwards
05-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Is that a turbo kit? If so where from? In UK those cars are free with a packet of Marlboro, if the kit is reasonable. hey-presto the ultimate sleeper.

CharlesAFerg
05-02-2007, 01:37 AM
Go check out www.caswellplating.com - you can't use a HPLV gun because it doesnt charge the powder. You ground the piece you are working on (negative charge) and positive charging the powder. The kits are not that expensive at all. The oven and prep work is the most BS of it all. Powder coating uses about 2 psi of pressure, its a low pressure process as you purely "waft" the powder to the part.

You think this looks hot under the hood... wait until summer ;)

http://www.blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Motor%20Build/allparts.jpg

Real excited for that!

Aren't those the parts before you made them gold? I thought they're on already...
I think I remember the thread of the whole process... If i remember correctly, it was a bitch wasn't it?

Jon K
05-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Aren't those the parts before you made them gold? I thought they're on already...
I think I remember the thread of the whole process... If i remember correctly, it was a bitch wasn't it?

I have two engines - I did one valve cover gold (bitch) and one valve cover silver along with the rest of my parts. It wasn't too hard all in all.

Booster
05-02-2007, 09:14 AM
I'll wait to see the NEW build with all the fresh coated parts. I know I'll dig that.
You've had plenty of time now to stare at the engine bay and know how you'll do the next one. I'm sure you'll make some nice small rubber coated brackets to route the oil feed line neatly .;)
Eventually Jon I'll be moulding one of the several Plastic cam cover parts for CF making....perhaps this Winter.:)
Any final tune dealings with the MS ??
Vinny

Jon K
05-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Any final tune dealings with the MS ??
Vinny

hehe yes - big updates...

released a beta firmware for MS2/Extra that I am testing :)

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/MegaSquirt-II/5.JPG

Booster
05-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Exellent news.This is even beyond the V3 version already out ? Cool.Are you using the EDIS or the COP ?:)

Jon K
05-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Exellent news.This is even beyond the V3 version already out ? Cool.Are you using the EDIS or the COP ?:)

Well the board version is V3.0 but its the chip that is replaced from MS1 to MS2 CPUs. I am using direct coil control with COP, no EDIS gayness.

Qube
05-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Lies! Lies! There's no way an e34 engine bay could look so good! Pass the tissue box please ;)

Jon K
05-02-2007, 09:55 PM
A little teaser of something I've been working on:

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/Circuit%20Design/coilvanos.jpg

Ross
05-03-2007, 07:26 AM
Tell us more please.

winfred
05-03-2007, 07:55 AM
isn't it obvious? :D he's building a sub board for m5x bmw megasquirt installs so you don't need to find a place for all of the extra crap for the coil drivers and vanos control, all stuff that ms can do but doesn't come with

Tell us more please.

Ross
05-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Not obvious to me, sorry

Jon K
05-03-2007, 11:03 AM
isn't it obvious? :D he's building a sub board for m5x bmw megasquirt installs so you don't need to find a place for all of the extra crap for the coil drivers and vanos control, all stuff that ms can do but doesn't come with

Hit the nail right on the head :)

aston_jag_tech
05-04-2007, 12:28 AM
Jon's an inspirator!

Jon K
05-04-2007, 07:21 AM
nah im just a nerd

Booster
05-04-2007, 09:07 AM
:p NERDS need car lovin' too !:p

Looking good there Jonny boy ! I don't imagine I'll be able to do the MS before Chitown Nat's, but will be onboard for it nonetheless.
Are you going ?
...........................Vinny

Jon K
05-04-2007, 09:47 AM
:p NERDS need car lovin' too !:p

Looking good there Jonny boy ! I don't imagine I'll be able to do the MS before Chitown Nat's, but will be onboard for it nonetheless.
Are you going ?
...........................Vinny

Depends on a lot of things. I am leaning toward no. But, maybe? It depends, I graduate in a week with no job lined up - if I land a job and cannot get off work then its a no. But then again, without a job its hard to justify being able to get out there with my car.