PDA

View Full Version : Will a 1994 525 cluster work in a 93 525i?

megcoss
04-30-2007, 12:12 PM
My cluster bit the dust after my non-bmw experienced mechanic did something screwed up. Either way I need to replace. Will a 94 work in a 93? Also will my car's mileage change if I change the cluster? Thanks a lot.

E34-520iSE
04-30-2007, 12:21 PM
My cluster bit the dust after my non-bmw experienced mechanic did something screwed up. Either way I need to replace. Will a 94 work in a 93? Also will my car's mileage change if I change the cluster? Thanks a lot.
The mileage will be stored on a chip in the coding plug (brown). Some clusters have a removable coding plug built into the back of the cluster, under a break-off tab. Just check this on your new dash cluster to be sure it's the same as the one you're replacing.

HTH,

Shaun M

shogun
04-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Cluster works. But you have to move the old chip into the new cluster, otherwise you have all the data from the cluster sponsor car as well as the miles.

megcoss
05-01-2007, 07:25 AM
Cluster works. But you have to move the old chip into the new cluster, otherwise you have all the data from the cluster sponsor car as well as the miles.

all the data will transfer from the sponsor car, can you elaborate? I an getting a cluster with comparable miles and I don't think the guy changing it out intends on moving the old chip, what other kind of data aside from the mileage will transfer, does he HAVE to change the chip? THANKS, meg

632 Regal
05-01-2007, 10:44 AM
they are pretty much car specific, you can try it and post the results ;)
all the data will transfer from the sponsor car, can you elaborate? I an getting a cluster with comparable miles and I don't think the guy changing it out intends on moving the old chip, what other kind of data aside from the mileage will transfer, does he HAVE to change the chip? THANKS, meg

shogun
05-01-2007, 09:01 PM
All data which are in the chip of the other car, such as the chassis number (VIN), Code #, K-Zahl, the code plug number, the SW version inside the cluster, Aenderungs-Index #, and many other data.