PDA

View Full Version : did the market for 540iA die?

markus
04-28-2007, 11:46 PM
had mine up for sale for almost a month now and not one damn inquiry.

Evan
04-28-2007, 11:52 PM
Our cars were 'old' five years ago... now they're ancient. KBB values a high mileage 540iA at around $5K... good luck trying to get it.

I think your best bet is BMWCCA -- Roundel Mag and your Local Chapter magazine. As always, a little "creative pricing" helps... maybe start as low as possible and stay firm on price? Or go higher and buy a great set of rubber as a sweetener?

Show us your ad!

markus
04-29-2007, 12:07 AM
its in the classefied section. if anyone is interested please let me know.

BMWCCA1
04-29-2007, 07:57 AM
First, let me say I wish you good luck with the sale and your education. My second daughter (of three) enters college this fall, so I know the expenses you're up against if you're paying for your education yourself. You have a good list of work done and parts replaced on your car but I don't see any mention of the Alusil block replacement, which is a big deal (at least on the East Coast) for those knowledgeable folks who might consider buying it. The reality is, at your asking price you're up against E39 528i's for not much more money as they continue to drop in price. And you're also in the age/price range where folks who might consider the car are do-it-yourself kind of owners and most of those (obviously not all) run away from the V8s as fast as they can. We all know too much about the lifespan of that transmission, too!

I really think your best venue is not among the cognoscenti here but on mass, free venues such as Craig's List (craigslist.org) even though Craig's List isn't so hot in your area. And the area isn't really a hot-bed for BMWs for that matter, either. Wherever you list it, you should post current photos of the car all cleaned-up, highlight the condition and recent work done, and let the local buyer check out the flaws to his or her own satisfaction or lack thereof. It's not dishonest to let the prospect determine how nice the paint is, for instance. I've learned over the years that we are way harsher critics of these cars than the general public. While your color combination is fairly rare for a reason (not that many wanted it in 1994), someone may just fall in love with it today. I think your price is too high but then I'm not a buyer. I don't think its so high it will scare away a potential buyer from at least making a counter offer. You just need to find the right (and a larger) audience. At the price I think the car will sell for, I hope you can at least get back what you put into it, but then your maintenance is really a long-term investment you may have a tough time selling to an uninformed prospect. Yet that's the kind of prospect you need! As a last resort, you can try Ebay but in checking what similar cars have brought, you won't be happy with the prices. Honestly, even a well-done ad for a car like yours is lucky to get bids as high as $4000. Sadly, for you, a similar 525i will likely bring more money these days. Good luck!

markus
04-29-2007, 08:03 AM
unfortunatley my car is still in the shop getting its valve body replaced. I should have it by the end of this week if im lucky. My friend is interested in buying it actually. And from what he says hes pretty interested.

Ross
04-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Agreed. KBB is usually optimistic also. I'd sell everything I own if I could get what they say it's worth.
There is also ebay. That will probably give the most exposure, also the most exposure to the flakes and deadbeats sadly.
I think a price adjustment will help. Good luck.

markus
04-29-2007, 03:28 PM
ok I adjusted the price down. $5500 without wheels and $6k with. Hopefully that will move it.

swenpro
04-29-2007, 03:37 PM
I bought my '94 540i 2 years ago with 98k mi, new suspension, brakes and alusil block for $4500... I've put more than twice that in maintenance/upgrades since then, but unfortunately they still sell for the same low price...