PDA

View Full Version : Installed an e30m3 seat into my 535.

Martin in Bellevue
04-27-2007, 08:16 PM
I bought a pair of e30 m3 seats from a guy in the bay area yesterday. One needs some upholstery love to patch some leather, but the pass. seat cleaned up nicely. The lower bolsters are pretty aggressive, for the taller, clumsier guy. The car must be 20 pounds lighter. Anyone intersted in a good e34 comfort driver's seat with heat & lumbar around Sacramento?
I updated the last pic here to show the mounting bracket better. The original picture was of just the seat in a test fit.

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/martin/manualm3seat.jpg
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/martin/sportSeat.jpg
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/martin/sportSeats.jpg

Boone.Msi
04-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Those look alot better than i thought they would. Nice job!

clevertd
04-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Bolt right up?

Martin in Bellevue
04-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Bolt right up? Nope. I had to notch the pedestals of the m3 seats & form a couple adapter plates, not a big deal.

Robin-535im
04-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Nope. I had to notch the pedestals of the m3 seats & form a couple adapter plates, not a big deal.
That's cool Martin. They look pretty cosy.

Do your fabbed mounts have to pass a CA inspection... seeing as it's part of the safety restraint system?

The top photo reminds me of a cockroach for some reason.

gamjohn2
04-28-2007, 12:34 AM
I might be interested in the seats. But you only mentioned the drivers seat. Are you not selling both of them?? If you are, I call dibs. :D

gamjohn2

wjbell
04-28-2007, 12:48 AM
I bought a pair of e30 m3 seats from a guy in the bay area yesterday. One needs some upholstery love to patch some leather, but the pass. seat cleaned up nicely. The lower bolsters are pretty aggressive, for the taller, clumsier guy. The car must be 20 pounds lighter. Anyone intersted in a good e34 comfort driver's seat with heat & lumbar around Sacramento?

The seat looks nice, more sporty... but what about all the power features? Are you giving up power seats for manually operated ones? If so, just curious, why?

I'm also in Sacramento, in the Foothill Farms/Carmichael area. I never new there was anyone local on the board here...

Martin in Bellevue
04-28-2007, 03:36 AM
I might be interested in the seats. But you only mentioned the drivers seat. Are you not selling both of them?? If you are, I call dibs. :D

gamjohn2
Here's why I'm only using 1 sport seat in the 5er.
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/martin/m30seats.jpg
The wife isn't too terribly interested in having to sit in a sport seat either. It is quite a bit harder to get over the lower side bolster when exiting the car. The second seat may get shaped down just a bit at the upholstery shop, whenever that happens.
I prefer good manual seats to heavy electric power seats. I may end up missing the heat in the morning, but that can be added to the sport seats. After tossing the comfort & sport seats around the garage, I'm impress by the weight saved with the sport seat. Also, others rarely drive my 5er, so there isn't really any lost convenience going to manual seats. The sport seat bottom rotates down like my old Bavaria's seats; love them.

Martin in Bellevue
04-28-2007, 03:40 AM
I'm also in Sacramento, in the Foothill Farms/Carmichael area. I never new there was anyone local on the board here...
I was thinking of meeting at the Folsom city hall this Sunday morning, 8:15 for the local cca cruise. May bring the m3, if the weather permits, never get to drive that thing, & it is now easier to get in & out of.

Martin in Bellevue
04-28-2007, 03:54 AM
That's cool Martin. They look pretty cosy.

Do your fabbed mounts have to pass a CA inspection... seeing as it's part of the safety restraint system?
Dunno, the bracket plates are fairly stout, hope they're rigid enough for any shear forces possible in a wreck. The mTech2 steering wheel wasn't noticed during the state inspection last fall; neither was the missing afm. I should try to sneak through a turbo already?

Martin in Bellevue
04-29-2007, 06:22 PM
You missed a good drive this morning. Salmon Falls Rd to Cool, back around via Auburn. I got some insight into the local board schenanigans. I took the 535.

Rick L
04-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Looks nice. More sporty with those seats. Does anyone know if the E36 M3 or E36 sport seats fit on E34?

SC David
04-29-2007, 10:50 PM
Very cool. They look quite similar to the E34 sport seats.

wjbell
04-29-2007, 11:19 PM
You missed a good drive this morning. Salmon Falls Rd to Cool, back around via Auburn. I got some insight into the local board schenanigans. I took the 535.

Sounds like a nice drive in the foothills. I wish I could have made it but just too busy today. I did give the 535 an oil change and bath today.

Do you have to be a member to go on outings? And what local board shenanigans?

Qube
04-29-2007, 11:23 PM
Holy **** short height shifter batman! Fingertip shifting eh?