PDA

View Full Version : No CEL light?

Fred/Houston
04-27-2007, 12:39 PM
I have yet to see a cel light on my car and it still won't perform the stomp test? Where is the cel light located exactly?
I stomped so many times last night my ankle is sore!
Thank you
Fred/Houston

Qube
04-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Some more details? Year, build, model of car? Location?

Fred/Houston
04-27-2007, 02:19 PM
I have yet to see a cel light on my car and it still won't perform the stomp test? Where is the cel light located exactly?
I stomped so many times last night my ankle is sore!
Thank you
Fred/Houston
...oops
94" E34 540ia
Tnx
Fred/Houston

Rus
04-27-2007, 03:31 PM
CEL light is located in the lower left corner of your instrument cluster. It simply says Check Engine. The Foglight indicator is right next to it. Some cars may not respond to the CEL diagnostic procedure (this is what I've gathered from this forum). Another possibility is that the light is missing all together.

ajt3nc
04-27-2007, 03:44 PM
I do not know on the 540 but my old m20 did this trick. The TPS was dead and that is what triggers the code from the stomp test.
I pulled the connection and used a jumper to get the ecu to go into the diagnostic mode.

Fred/Houston
04-27-2007, 04:04 PM
I do not know on the 540 but my old m20 did this trick. The TPS was dead and that is what triggers the code from the stomp test.
I pulled the connection and used a jumper to get the ecu to go into the diagnostic mode.
Then my light is definatly out. I'll have to look in my Bentlys when I get home to see what Tps means.
Thanks
Fred/Houston

DaveVoorhis
04-27-2007, 04:31 PM
TPS means Throttle Position Sensor, a switch or potentiometer (depending on the engine) that advises the engine computer of the throttle position.

Qsilver7
04-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Fred, as stated in posts above...your car's CEL (Check Enging Light) is located on the left side of the instrument cluster (if you have an owners manual it may help you find it location since it's identified in the book).

And the CEL should illuminated anytime you turn the ignition to postion 2. If it does illuminate, then you just need to recheck the procedures for the STOMP test...many people have your same experience in having difficulty doing it...if it does NOT illuminate...then something else is wrong...like the bulb may be removed or covered up etc...

Jeff N.
04-29-2007, 02:49 PM
Check the bulb if it doesn't come on with the ignition.