PDA

View Full Version : BMW Emergency Fuel Can

LunatiC
04-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Picked up one of these from eBay 8 weeks ago, didn't come here to Australia until this morning. I have it installed in my car as it is now, but it doesn't have fuel in it yet, until I go and do the weekly fill up on Monday.

http://acherion.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/img_1117.jpg
http://acherion.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/img_1122.jpg
http://acherion.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/img_1124.jpg
http://acherion.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/img_1126.jpg

More pics here on my blog:
http://acherion.com/blog/?p=112

shogun
04-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Nice, looks good. I am also searching for that.

Do you already have the blue cleaning cloth in the tool box in trunk? :D
A MUST HAVE for the purists.
No more available from BMW.

I have 2 now, found one in the parts car I bought last year, hehe, never used.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/738636/iL%20(43).jpg

LunatiC
04-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Oh my god I didn't even know that there was one. Here I was thinking that I have completed my toolbox, and now this shows up!

I'll have my eyes peeled, thanks for the heads up shogun!

bmwrp8
04-26-2007, 10:33 PM
very nice:) how much did you got it for?

LunatiC
04-26-2007, 10:35 PM
very nice:) how much did you got it for?

It wasn't cheap. I got it for USD 86, plus the postage on top of that to bring it to Australia. It is brand new though, and I have seen used ones go for the same price on eBay before, so I still think I got a good deal.

Jimbo
04-26-2007, 10:36 PM
Man, those Germans think of everything. :) Looks to be a well made piece too, great find.

bmwrp8
04-26-2007, 10:36 PM
its brandnew?! for $86 for me its not bad...considering how much that'll cost in the stealer

LunatiC
04-26-2007, 10:39 PM
its brandnew?! for $86 for me its not bad...considering how much that'll cost in the stealer

That's if the stealer has one ;)

Podmore
04-27-2007, 12:17 AM
Bloke found a golf tee in a used Bimmer, asked the salesman what it was for. Salesman told him it was something you put your balls on before you drive. Bloke says "Man, those BMW engineers think of everything, don't they?"

wingman
04-27-2007, 02:00 AM
I've had one for years and they're great. It wouldn't fit inside the 14" wheels of my E12 though. I haven't put it in the E34 as it is a great mower fuel can! Can I offer some advice and that is to make sure that the two prongs on the lid are FIRMLY in place and the lid is closed properly. I had it lying in the boot of the E12 and it leaked fuel everywhere.

The Bigfella
04-27-2007, 02:13 AM
Hmm - nice bit, but I'm not sure I'd like to be pouring 12 month old fuel into an empty tank.

LunatiC
04-27-2007, 02:49 AM
Can I offer some advice and that is to make sure that the two prongs on the lid are FIRMLY in place and the lid is closed properly. I had it lying in the boot of the E12 and it leaked fuel everywhere.

Thanks for the advice wingman, I will make sure to keep this in mind. I'd rather not have a spare wheel well full of fuel.

Hmm - nice bit, but I'm not sure I'd like to be pouring 12 month old fuel into an empty tank.

Maybe, but if you're in the middle of nowhere and the nearest fuel stop is miles away, you might not have a choice ;) Besides, you can still 'cycle' the fuel as you use it for your lawnmower (like wingman said) or wipper snipper and top it up from time to time.

bmwrp8
04-27-2007, 03:01 AM
That's if the stealer has one ;)

EXACTLY!!!

t.wak
04-27-2007, 03:16 AM
Really funny how you post this now, just this morning I actually found this in the parts catalogue and thought how cool it was.

Montreal525
04-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Maybe, but if you're in the middle of nowhere and the nearest fuel stop is miles away, you might not have a choice ;)

How much fuel does it carry? It's a very cool item to have but if you're in the middle of nowhere and the nearest fuel stop is miles away, it looks like you'll get only a few hundred yards closer... :p

Jeff

dacoyote
04-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Sweet... It reminds me of the last Chicago e34 meet.. everyone looking at Ed's BMW medical kit

Qube
04-27-2007, 10:00 AM
It's a good piece of mind. I bought one as soon as I got the car.

95///M3
04-27-2007, 10:25 AM
If anyone wants one of these, they are $85 plus shipping. Email me or PM me if you want one!

shogun
04-27-2007, 11:15 AM
How much fuel does it carry? It's a very cool item to have but if you're in the middle of nowhere and the nearest fuel stop is miles away, it looks like you'll get only a few hundred yards closer... :p

Jeff
Didn't you see the link in the first post with more info and more pics?

The cans are designed to fit in the empty space within the inside of your spare wheel. The fuel can that I got carries 9L, and I will be sure to fill it up the next time I go for some fuel. You never know when you need it, and I will be much thankful for the one time that I will ......
unquote

Tiger
04-27-2007, 11:15 AM
I forget who made one... Griot garage? They had one that will fit inside a wheel and made of steel.

E34-520iSE
04-27-2007, 12:10 PM
That fuel can is a very rare item over here in Blighty!

Cheers,

Shaun M

shogun
04-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Who wants one?

here are 3 pieces on German Ebay
http://fahrzeugteile.search-desc.ebay.de/BMW-Kanister_Standardzubehoer-fuers-Auto_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfcclZ1QQfclZ4QQfromZR10QQfsoo Z1QQfsopZ1QQftsZ2QQsacatZ61959

And probably the one for the Benz also fits ;)

List price in germany is 76.00 EURO at the dealer for a new one. Some dealers still have new ones on stock.

76 Euro = 103.56 US Dollar as of today
or
76 Euro = 124.64 Australian Dollar

95///M3
04-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Who wants one?

here are 3 pieces on German Ebay
http://fahrzeugteile.search-desc.ebay.de/BMW-Kanister_Standardzubehoer-fuers-Auto_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfcclZ1QQfclZ4QQfromZR10QQfsoo Z1QQfsopZ1QQftsZ2QQsacatZ61959

And probably the one for the Benz also fits ;)

List price in germany is 76.00 EURO at the dealer for a new one. Some dealers still have new ones on stock.

76 Euro = 103.56 US Dollar as of today
or
76 Euro = 124.64 Australian Dollar
$85 plus shipping here! No tax unless you are in PA!

Jimmy

repenttokyo
04-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Picked up one of these from eBay 8 weeks ago, didn't come here to Australia until this morning. I have it installed in my car as it is now, but it doesn't have fuel in it yet, until I go and do the weekly fill up on Monday.

very cool can, but the intent of an emergency fuel cannister is not to have it filled with fuel and sitting in your trunk....that is a disaster waiting to happen. Overheating, improper ventilation, possibility of a spark, explosion danger upon impact - your trunk was never intended to store fuel. This is very dangerous.

The tank is intended to be used as needed when you run out of fuel and need to bring fuel back to your car from a distant fueling point.

Qube
04-27-2007, 02:03 PM
very cool can, but the intent of an emergency fuel cannister is not to have it filled with fuel and sitting in your trunk....that is a disaster waiting to happen. Overheating, improper ventilation, possibility of a spark, explosion danger upon impact - your trunk was never intended to store fuel. This is very dangerous.

The tank is intended to be used as needed when you run out of fuel and need to bring fuel back to your car from a distant fueling point.

You know... I have been thinking about ventilation... and moreso leakages. What you say makes sense but really it would be cheaper to buy a jerrycan at the station instead :| Still... I'm glad someone brought it up!

LunatiC
04-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Lol thanks for pasting that info shogun :D

Yes it takes 9L. There are 6L ones as well, I assume they are for the older BMWs that didn't come with 15" rims (since I have 15" basketweaves and the tank just fits inside).

My E34 does 11.5L/100km, so assuming that I keep the economy the same, an extra 9L will give me 78km, much more than "only a few hundred yards". Of course, this assumes that it is a theoretical situation in a perfect world, which can and will be much farther than the truth.

Also, I'm not sure why some people are poo-pooing the idea of an extra emergency fuel can?!? Seriously tell me 3 disadvantages of carrying one, and weigh them up with the advantages of carrying one...

EDIT: just to be a bit of a smart arse ;)
78km = 48.46 miles
48.46 miles = 85,301 yards
Assuming that a "few hundred yards" is 400 yards...
Fuel can can theoretically give me 213.25x the previously-assumed distance that can could provide.

EDITED again to reflect recent posts...

LunatiC
04-27-2007, 06:00 PM
OK I'm sick of editing my messages all the time, so I'll just say that I really bought the can because it is a rare item and I saw it more as a collectable rather than its practical use.

repenttokyo makes a very, very good point in that it's designed for you to take it out and go to a fuel source to fill it up, and not carry it with you due to the hazards and dangers of carrying something combustible and flamable in your trunk. Fair enough, I can understand that completely.

But yes, more a collectable (that has good practical uses) more than anything. Thanks to everyone's comments and ideas so far.

Qube
04-27-2007, 06:57 PM
OK I'm sick of editing my messages all the time, so I'll just say that I really bought the can because it is a rare item and I saw it more as a collectable rather than its practical use.

repenttokyo makes a very, very good point in that it's designed for you to take it out and go to a fuel source to fill it up, and not carry it with you due to the hazards and dangers of carrying something combustible and flamable in your trunk. Fair enough, I can understand that completely.

But yes, more a collectable (that has good practical uses) more than anything. Thanks to everyone's comments and ideas so far.

It started out with me worry about it leaking all over the place. After checking for a few months, I'm just happy it's there. I really should empty and refill though. Can't stay in there forever.