PDA

View Full Version : Looking for M60b30 to buy

MagicMike
04-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Hey guys,

I think my engine has retired. I tried cranking her up after sitting for about 8 months and no luck. I did a compression test on one of the cylinders and it's at 30. I have done overhauls before but just do not have the time to do so now.

I am looking for an M60b30 for a 1994 530i 5spd. would it be worth it to replace the motor or just get the heads and piston done? it is a nikasil block with 160,000 miles on it.

Any feedback will help. Thanks,

txp135
04-26-2007, 11:45 AM
while you are doing the swap, why not put the 4.0 and 6sp tranny in? There are a couple of guys at bimmerforums looking to sell the 4.0 and/or parts car.

632 Regal
04-26-2007, 07:51 PM
no deals on the piston swap, the Nikasil is a coating and if its worn at all it will be the same as before. Have you tried squirting a little tranny fluid into the dead hole to bring the compression back? Might not be a bad engine.

or just get the heads and piston done? it is a nikasil block with 160,000 miles on it.

winfred
04-26-2007, 11:00 PM
they can loose their compression when sitting, clean the plugs give each hole a couple spoons of atf and spin it over before reinstalling the plugs, then go for it, it may take a few trys but it should pump up if there was nothing serious wrong with it when it was parked just make sure you have a good hot battery, after about 30 seconds of cranking give the starter a couple minutes of cooling time, if the engine is trying pretty good it's ok to crank a little longer

i've had 318s take almost a hour of ****ing with to get going and then after the rings reseat it's good to go, after it starts run it at 1500-2000 rpm for about 2 minutes to clear the air out of the lifters and seat the rings

MagicMike
04-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Hey thanks a lot guys. My mechanic just told me to do the same thing with the ATF. I have never heard of it before but will be more than happy to try it. Wish me luck. As far as the 540 swap, will I only need to swap the engine and tranny, or will the diff need to be swapped too?