PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosing wheel bearing

632 Regal
05-05-2004, 03:58 PM
I'm about to take the car into the barn and check things out. It started as a slight metalic squeeling, then like a scraping kinda like a brake pad wear sound then worse. At first I thought it was brake pads cause it went away if I would hit the brake then it didnt. Sounds like garbage is rubbing metal to metal, no whirring or humming though. How can I tell if its a bearing or is it obvious? How to test if not?
Thanks
Jeff

ryan roopnarine
05-05-2004, 04:45 PM
ure sure that your brake sliding hardware hasn't just taken a dump? i would think that mere brake pressure wouldn't get rid of the sound from a dying bearing, and that it would be continuous. i was gonna ask if it did it with the gas on or off, it seems a lot of people are having back bearing/cv joint issues right now. i lucked out and found it was a cv joint and not a bearing back there.

I'm about to take the car into the barn and check things out. It started as a slight metalic squeeling, then like a scraping kinda like a brake pad wear sound then worse. At first I thought it was brake pads cause it went away if I would hit the brake then it didnt. Sounds like garbage is rubbing metal to metal, no whirring or humming though. How can I tell if its a bearing or is it obvious? How to test if not?
Thanks
Jeff

632 Regal
05-05-2004, 05:15 PM
Do you remember my post a few days back about the only things I did to the car besides tires was brakes and thrust arms? Well I am still lucky with this thing, it was a tiny stone that was trapped between the lower ball joint and the braking backing plate that pushed it into the rotor...whew! I'm goin to get some tools and see if I can bleed my brakes in gratitude of no serious problems. Maybe if it goes good I'll update my mileage in my signature tonight. LOL

632 Regal
05-05-2004, 08:25 PM
also did the battery disconnect to ground with key in II position, only thing I noticed so far is I had to enter radio code and reset the time. I will know more tomorrow I suppose.