PDA

View Full Version : Toasted

gtopaul
04-25-2007, 06:35 PM
Thought you all would like a pic of this one that got dropped off at the shop last week. 02 E46.

Paul L

http://members.aol.com/paul3130/private/engine002.jpg

ThoreauHD
04-25-2007, 06:51 PM
If I was a mechanic, I would probably not be able to restrain myself with the customer. I'd just have to...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/powned.jpg

Macv
04-25-2007, 07:02 PM
How?

gtopaul
04-25-2007, 07:09 PM
How?

We suspect he never changed the oil although customer said it had regular oil changes at a quickie lube place. We have a $3000 used replacement engine sitting on the shop floor ready to swap out.

Paul L

632 Regal
04-25-2007, 07:31 PM
I think Bill R or who is Winfred said that happens with synthetic too, I cant see synthetic doing it in my mind though.

We suspect he never changed the oil although customer said it had regular oil changes at a quickie lube place. We have a $3000 used replacement engine sitting on the shop floor ready to swap out.

Paul L

KenB
04-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Regular oil changes, eh? Don't think so...how many miles on that piece of scrap? Did any oil come out of it or did you scoop it out?

What a lousy way to try to save a couple of dollars.

I just did a valve cover gasket on mine at 190,000 miles and it was spotless. I was amazed at how clean it was. Using Mobil 1 since 120,000.

Jehu
04-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Regular oil changes, eh? Don't think so...how many miles on that piece of scrap? Did any oil come out of it or did you scoop it out?

What a lousy way to try to save a couple of dollars.

I just did a valve cover gasket on mine at 190,000 miles and it was spotless. I was amazed at how clean it was. Using Mobil 1 since 120,000.

As far as I know those" quikei oil change" places don't regularly stock the filters used in BMW's but even if he did bring it i saw a news expose where the crew took cars to these places with cameras strapped under the car and at least two places did ZERO to the car and they were BUSTED.He may have been such a witless victim . I have not paid less than $97 for an oil change other than the free one i had a couple of weeks ago from an Indy who gives coupons to customers to give away for free oil changes as l'ures for new business.

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/156/graveyard016lt5.jpg

Kalevera
04-25-2007, 07:43 PM
If I was a mechanic, I would probably not be able to restrain myself with the customer. I'd just have to...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/toasty0z/powned.jpg
It's 90% likely not the customer's fault. This has been happening with M5x and M6x engines for years now.

BMW's "extended oil change" service and "low maintenance" marketing is the cause. Customer is none the wiser.

In 8 years, all of the cars that are being sold now will need completely new drivelines. Engines, transmissions, differentials. They're all much more poorly constructed than ever before.

90% the result of the EPA and marketing.

gtopaul
04-25-2007, 08:00 PM
As far as I know those" quikei oil change" places don't regularly stock the filters used in BMW's but even if he did bring it i saw a news expose where the crew took cars to these places with cameras strapped under the car and at least two places did ZERO to the car and they were BUSTED.He may have been such a witless victim . I have not paid less than $97 for an oil change other than the free one i had a couple of weeks ago from an Indy who gives coupons to customers to give away for free oil changes as l'ures for new business.

That reminds me about those aftermarket oil filters, they don't seem to last on the extended oil change schedule. We pull them out in pieces all the time. What a mess.

This has been a few years back now but we once had a customer bring in their 95 540i automatic because it was running bad, 45k miles, they bought the car new from our dealership and it had never been back for a single oil change. It had never been anywhere else for an oil change. The oil level didn't touch the dipstick and it actually looked worse than this engine. Our dumb*** sales manager took it in on trade and then paid to have a $11k (at that time) engine installed. That 540i owner still owns BMWs, keeps buying them from us, but now make sure oil is changed regularly.

All the guys in the shop change their oil a little more regularly than the 15k miles. I personally think you're ok with a good synthetic for 15k miles but changing the oil filter every 3 or 4k miles is still a good idea. You don't want all that nasty stuff floating around in the oil for 15k miles do you? Changing the filter will get rid of it and just top off the oil. I run Mobil 1 in my S52 525iT and change the filter about every other month. I only live a couple of miles from work so I don't run up many miles. Come to think of it I haven't changed the oil since November of last year so maybe it's time (only 1700 miles since then).

Paul L

632 Regal
04-25-2007, 08:09 PM
I know from experience with race cars and crap you loose a lot of power over 2500-3000 miles, its like putting a turbo on after changing the oil. As for synthetic I can tell a difference on my 5er at 6k so I try to change it at 5k but now with the mystery mileage issue ??? lol, had to add a quart so I think its ready for a change, usually need to change it at the 2nd quart adding time, burns about 1.5 qts at 5k and burns MUCH more after that point.

That reminds me about those aftermarket oil filters, they don't seem to last on the extended oil change schedule. We pull them out in pieces all the time. What a mess.

This has been a few years back now but we once had a customer bring in their 95 540i automatic because it was running bad, 45k miles, they bought the car new from our dealership and it had never been back for a single oil change. It had never been anywhere else for an oil change. The oil level didn't touch the dipstick and it actually looked worse than this engine. Our dumb*** sales manager took it in on trade and then paid to have a $11k (at that time) engine installed. That 540i owner still owns BMWs, keeps buying them from us, but now make sure oil is changed regularly.

All the guys in the shop change their oil a little more regularly than the 15k miles. I personally think you're ok with a good synthetic for 15k miles but changing the oil filter every 3 or 4k miles is still a good idea. You don't want all that nasty stuff floating around in the oil for 15k miles do you? Changing the filter will get rid of it and just top off the oil. I run Mobil 1 in my S52 525iT and change the filter about every other month. I only live a couple of miles from work so I don't run up many miles. Come to think of it I haven't changed the oil since November of last year so maybe it's time (only 1700 miles since then).

Paul L

Rick L
04-25-2007, 09:18 PM
That's crazy! There's no way this could happen with regular oil change. Even with conventional oil...

Thought you all would like a pic of this one that got dropped off at the shop last week. 02 E46.

Paul L

http://members.aol.com/paul3130/private/engine002.jpg

Milkboot
04-25-2007, 11:01 PM
It makes me a sad panda :(

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-26-2007, 12:55 AM
in half

And don't run raisins in your sump.

Ross
04-26-2007, 08:10 AM
What finally failed? What was the mileage?

Jon K
04-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Guys, this happens a lot.

It's an issue with synthetic oil - I know nothing more, I run dino oil.

http://www.racefactoryfab.com/mrs/oil2.jpg

http://www.racefactoryfab.com/mrs/oil3.jpg

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700741&highlight=hose+spray

read all about it - that as an S50 M3 motor.

bigtisas
04-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Is BMW the only company that promotes 15k miles oil change interval? If motor oil (dina or synthetic) can survive 15k miles, it should work in ANY car, right? You'll think other car companies will promote 15k oil change as well.

Boone.Msi
04-26-2007, 08:49 PM
wtf^^^, ive used mobile 1 0w40 synthetic since i got it with 94k miles. its topping 110k now, just did my 3rd oil change. Did my valve cover gaskets about 1k miles ago...clean as a whistle.

Id like to run my synthetic in 9k intervals with a filter change every 3k. I only ran it 3k miles the first time to flush out any old oil that was in it(while it sat at the dealer for over a year)

Denton
04-26-2007, 09:04 PM
That's nuts.

I remember when I was BMW shopping there was a local '00 323i/5. It had the sport package, everything. Then I saw it:

15k mile oil change intervals with BMW!

I ran! :D

Jon K
04-26-2007, 09:35 PM
It happens below the 15k oil change point. Seriously, a lot of people suck at maintenance, my car gets oil every 3000 - 4000 miles on dino. New filter each time. I change spark plugs every oil change. Some people are running spark plugs for 50k - 100k miles!!!!!

Rick L
04-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Spark plug change at every oil change??? 3k - 4k miles? Don’t you thing that’s excessive? Don't they last 30k + miles?

It happens below the 15k oil change point. Seriously, a lot of people suck at maintenance, my car gets oil every 3000 - 4000 miles on dino. New filter each time. I change spark plugs every oil change. Some people are running spark plugs for 50k - 100k miles!!!!!

aston_jag_tech
04-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Rick L. What was the customers complaint that led you to take he cam cover off??

I saw a S-Type like that the early 4.0 liters(00-02) Not as severe but noticeable. I think its from lack of changing oil and mixing synthetic and regular oil.

Nice Jaguar XJ8 by the way ;) Yours?? Is it a nikasil or was it replaced?? Tensioners?

Denton
04-26-2007, 11:04 PM
I think its from lack of changing oil and mixing synthetic and regular oil.

When you mix Synthetic and Dino oil do you get sludge? :(

Rick L
04-26-2007, 11:33 PM
I think you were asking this question for Paul L. He's the one who took the covers off and took the picture.

Thanks but... Actually, my Jag is older 1997 model and before the nikasil and tensioner issues. :)

http://home.comcast.net/~jungerishere/TheJag.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~jungerishere/MyJaguar.JPG

Rick L. What was the customers complaint that led you to take he cam cover off??

I saw a S-Type like that the early 4.0 liters(00-02) Not as severe but noticeable. I think its from lack of changing oil and mixing synthetic and regular oil.

Nice Jaguar XJ8 by the way ;) Yours?? Is it a nikasil or was it replaced?? Tensioners?

Wyn
04-27-2007, 03:58 AM
When you mix Synthetic and Dino oil do you get sludge? :(
Highly doubt that's the cause. Plenty of companies make a synth/blend type of oil. I used it in my 525 for a couple years. Always came out looking (almost) brand new.

Ferret
04-27-2007, 05:58 AM
My '91 525 looked like that the first time I took it apart, caused by a leaking head gasket, black sh*te everywhere and it was just nasty.

Can of oil flush sorted it out though, that stuffs surprisingly powerful!