PDA

View Full Version : Huge Mahalo to Blitzkrieg Bob..I have A/C!

HIe34
04-23-2007, 04:02 PM
So after months of suffering in the Hawaii humidity, I finally have cold A/C. With the help of the island guru, we found two leaks at the expansion valve and refrigerant line fitting above the expansion valve. Replaced o-rings and tightened up expansion valve, added refrigerant and oila!

Hated to take time away from his clock/grill project, but I am forever in debt.

Thanks buddy.

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-23-2007, 04:19 PM
cool, and my Mother-in-law didn't get to burn dinner either....everybody was happy last night.

clindahl
05-02-2007, 09:08 AM
Is the expansion valve serviceable without removing the dash? :)

bmwrp8
05-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Is the expansion valve serviceable without removing the dash? :)

yes

repenttokyo
05-02-2007, 10:37 AM
how hard is it to add refrigerant yourself? i have never done this and my system needs a recharge.

Rus
05-02-2007, 12:21 PM
how hard is it to add refrigerant yourself? i have never done this and my system needs a recharge.

If you system is running R-134 refrigerant, then you should be able to purchase the necessary fittings and cans of R-134 at most autoparts stores. Once you have the tools, you only need to find the proper high and low side connections under the hood and fill the system according to the specs provided either under the hood (on a sticker) or in the service manual. If you are running R-12, then you'll need to first change the drier and then evacuate the system with a vacuum pump. After that its once again the basic charge procedure. HTH

repenttokyo
05-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Thank you. How would I know which refrigerant my car is running? It's a 91.

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Thank you. How would I know which refrigerant my car is running? It's a 91.

unless it's been converted.

Ther should be a sticker by the front of the radiator regarding the A/C fill.

Look at the fittings. If they are small and threaded like tire valves, then you got r12.

If they are bigger and like pneumatic snap on fittings then you got r134

saluki540i
05-02-2007, 01:52 PM
A general rule of thumb is the change over from R-12 to R-134a was 1993 on most vehicles. Typically there is some sort of identification under the hood specifying the type. If you do have the R-12 it is gonna be really expensive to service, as liquid gold is probably cheaper. Even R-134a has tripled in price over the last few years.

repenttokyo
05-02-2007, 02:16 PM
thanks for the help guys, this should set me on my way.

Rus
05-02-2007, 03:36 PM
thanks for the help guys, this should set me on my way.

Here's a informative link from the often neglected gold mine of knowledge: A/C Upgrade/Service (http://bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/AC_upgrade.htm) Best of luck.

repenttokyo
05-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Yeah I headed over there just before you posted that link. Looks like it's got all the info. Too bad that if I do need to do the switch to r134a it's not really possible on my own in my driveway :(

Rus
05-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Yeah I headed over there just before you posted that link. Looks like it's got all the info. Too bad that if I do need to do the switch to r134a it's not really possible on my own in my driveway :(

Well, its not impossible. You need a shop for two things: 1) Discharge the system and 2) Vacuum and recharge. This would help avoid the labor costs of the other work that needs to be done on the system.

repenttokyo
05-03-2007, 08:52 AM
yeah - but from my point of view, the hassles of getting into and out of a shop at 2 different points in the procedure to save a couple hours of labour doesn't work out :(

clindahl
05-03-2007, 09:07 AM
You would be surprised how easy it is to get a shop to evacuate the system of the old R12 (if there is any) on Friday, change the parts out on the weekend, have the pull a vaccum on Monday, and fill'er up on Monday evening. Quite a few people I work with and know have different various older vehicles and have done this over and over and saved big $$$.

You should see if you have any R12 left in the system, if there is none there is no need for the shop to evacuate, but you would need a set of gauges to see.

repenttokyo
05-07-2007, 01:17 PM
it looks like I am going to go with r134. I checked under the hood and the sticker tells me R12, so I will need to convert. I have read that some of the bmw compressors for the r12 system will work with r134 - it says to check the part number. I was under the car yesterday but couldn't find the part number on the compressor :( Anyone know where it is located, or which part numbers are r134 safe?

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-07-2007, 01:25 PM
on the side of the compressor.

check koala motorsports for details on which compressor is r134 safe.

repenttokyo
05-07-2007, 01:59 PM
i followed that koala motorsports link on the bmwe34.net page, but the link is dead. I guess I will have to contact them directly?

EDIT: page was moved -

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/article-airconditioning.asp

632 Regal
05-07-2007, 03:03 PM
you will also need to replace the oil and drier if you convert it. the r-12 oil is not compatable with r-134 and can fry the compressor. believe it or not I am epa certified in AC

i followed that koala motorsports link on the bmwe34.net page, but the link is dead. I guess I will have to contact them directly?

EDIT: page was moved -

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/article-airconditioning.asp

repenttokyo
05-07-2007, 03:08 PM
you will also need to replace the oil and drier if you convert it. the r-12 oil is not compatable with r-134 and can fry the compressor. believe it or not I am epa certified in AC

yeah - the bmwe34.net page describes the conversion kit from bmw which comes with a new drier, and tells you what kind of oil you need to get. i am pretty new to this so all this advice is very helpful.