PDA

View Full Version : Locked Out

dave
05-05-2004, 11:43 AM
hi all

im locked out of my car after letting the battery go flat, now i need to get some power into the car.

i tried the trick of conncting 12V supply to the trunk light but no luck. Since i have owned the car the trunk light has not worked so i suspect the lights are not connected to the battery ( ie the trunk light switch is broken )

Which brings me to another point... where is the switch that turns the Trunk lights on because i cant find it.

The key will not move the lock enough to allow me to open the door manually.

If anyone has any ideas i would be greatfull to hear from you

Kind reagrds
Dave

ps
535 sport e34

Unregistered
05-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Dave states:

<The key will not move the lock enough to allow me to open the door manually.>

There's something wrong. Try lubing the key hole by spraying a lube like WD-40 or Boeshield T-9. Then insert your key and turn, you should be able to manually open the door.

dave
05-05-2004, 12:07 PM
thanx i ahve allready tried lubing the lock.

when turning the key clockwise it does start to lift the lock, but just not enough to allow me to open the door :(

maybe the mechanism is worn or loose

.mark
05-05-2004, 12:27 PM
maybe you can find a way to get under the hood, then you will be able to charge the battery.

But i cant say i know a way to open the hood withoug getting in the car

mark
325 all the way

Bill H.
05-05-2004, 12:31 PM
:)

dave
05-05-2004, 12:44 PM
sorry i ment to say im in the UK so right hand drive, so directions are reversed

Jason
05-05-2004, 12:50 PM
Try lifting the door handle up and unlocking the lock you may have to repeat it many times in close succession... other wise, if you have a ski pass let some one slither through and pull up on the door pin as you turn the key from the outside (yes, it got to that point for me)

dave
05-06-2004, 06:58 AM
i have been trying for 30 mins but sadly no luck :(

does anybody know if there is a positive connector in an accessable part of the car that i can connect a 12V supply to?
im guessing maybe the starter or alternator

bmwjohn
05-06-2004, 07:26 AM
hi all

im locked out of my car after letting the battery go flat, now i need to get some power into the car.

i tried the trick of conncting 12V supply to the trunk light but no luck. Since i have owned the car the trunk light has not worked so i suspect the lights are not connected to the battery ( ie the trunk light switch is broken )

Which brings me to another point... where is the switch that turns the Trunk lights on because i cant find it.

The key will not move the lock enough to allow me to open the door manually.

If anyone has any ideas i would be greatfull to hear from you

Kind reagrds
Dave

ps
535 sport e34

bmwjohn
05-06-2004, 07:27 AM
Dave,
You should be able to put the key in the passenger side door, turn to the number 3 position and pull the door handle up enough to unlock the door. Try this.

John

shogun
05-06-2004, 08:13 AM
Yes, what bmwjohn says, is the emergency opening. As you are in the UK, I am not sure which door to try. On my E32 it works on both doors. Lift the door handle and move the key to opening position. Then there will be a resistance and you have to override this.
Another possibility is to connect a battery charger to the licence plate light connections. Does not take long until the battery has enough power to unlock.
Third possibility (at least on an E32 it works and there is not much difference): Use a close hanger and try to open the bonnet. It works on the E32. Don't know where the battery is on E34. On E32 under rear seat. But there is a battery charging pole under the bonnet.
Good Luck and let us know.

Dave
05-06-2004, 10:39 AM
the key does not move any direction in the passenger door.

i have however managed to get in the car now, i placed a screwdriver through the hole in the key (usually for a key ring) allowing me to turn the lock alot harder and it opened 1st time, guess the mechanism is a bit corroded or worn and just needed that extra degree of turn.

Thanks to all who took the time to post :)

a much happier owner
Dave