PDA

View Full Version : Time to make a choice...Car purchase help needed!

Alan_525i
04-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Hey folks,

I know I'm probably going to get a biased opinion here, but I figure you're a pretty level headed group so I'll get some good wisdom. I've known some of the names here for nearly 7 years now (back in the roadflea days) and value your opinions.

I've had my car now 7 years, bought it with 54K on it. Now up to 128K. Its had the head rebuilt in the past 15K, had the suspension redone at 70K (maybe due for some new bushings), an exhaust and some cosmetics. The car is in very very good cosmetic and mechanical shape.

I start my new career at the end of summer (I'm graduating law school in a few weeks) and will be commuting to work 35 miles each way. I have a few choices:

(1) Daily drive my car, keep it pretty much the way it is, save money and get an E92 M3 in a few years. (This one is VERY unlikely)

(2) Keep my car, do all the things I've ever wanted to do to it (Turbo, staggerred T-Stars, Repaint etc). Buy a 2001 740i Sport with 50K on it to drive to/from work and let my car-less dad drive on weekends.

(3) Sell the E34, get either a 335i or lightly used E46 M3.

(4) (VERY VERY UNLIKELY, just throwing it out there) Find an EXCELLENT E34 M5 and sell my 525i. Probably a euro like the Purple one at www.euromcars.com.

Factors to consider:
Need reliable transportation to and from work!
Live in center city Philadelphia so keeping a second car will cost me about 1000 a year in garage fees plus whatever excess on the insurance. Insurance for the 525i/740i combo should be pretty close to the same as a new 335 or E46 m3. I don't carry collision on the 5 and I would be the only registered driver on both the E34 and 740i.

What say you?

Elekta
04-22-2007, 12:29 PM
How bout a touring? Has all you want (M trim, clear package, shadow line, tow package, smileys, rear fogs, awesome stereo, two sunroofs, heated seats, tstars...) plus room for a dog or a few sets of clubs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ggil-tx/bmw/DSCN4688.jpg

gtopaul
04-22-2007, 12:45 PM
I'd go with option number 3. The E34 isn't going to get any newer and will cost you money for maintenance. If you had a M50 or M60 engined model I probably would say drive it and enjoy it but the M20 is a little underpowered in the E34 chassis.

The 335i is a wonderful car with twin turbo's, 310 hp, no turbo lag, and a joy to drive. I'd actually pick it over the E46 M3 unless you have to have the extra hp. I think if you're driving in downtown Philly a lot the 335i suspension would be probably easier to live with than the E46 M3.

The problem with pumping up the old E34 is project cars tend to not go the way you expect until lots of dollars have been spent. If you've got alternative transportation for the times when you have things torn apart and realize you've forgotten something, or found another problem that must get fixed before reassembly, then maybe it's not a big deal. But it can be a big deal if you need to get to work and the cars in pieces.

The 335i is a sweet ride and would be hard to turn down if the asking price isn't a problem.

Good luck!

Paul L

markus
04-22-2007, 01:19 PM
keep the E34 and drive it till it dies. car payments suck. and im sure u will have student loans to pay off unless you got a good scholarship. good luck with your choices.

mzarifkar
04-22-2007, 03:03 PM
the 740 will likely put you in the same position you are with your e34 in a couple of years. I would say either hodl the e34 and get an e92 m3 or get a 335 now and live life while reasonable aged.

Alan_525i
04-22-2007, 03:18 PM
I'd go with option number 3. The E34 isn't going to get any newer and will cost you money for maintenance. If you had a M50 or M60 engined model I probably would say drive it and enjoy it but the M20 is a little underpowered in the E34 chassis.

The 335i is a wonderful car with twin turbo's, 310 hp, no turbo lag, and a joy to drive. I'd actually pick it over the E46 M3 unless you have to have the extra hp. I think if you're driving in downtown Philly a lot the 335i suspension would be probably easier to live with than the E46 M3.

The problem with pumping up the old E34 is project cars tend to not go the way you expect until lots of dollars have been spent. If you've got alternative transportation for the times when you have things torn apart and realize you've forgotten something, or found another problem that must get fixed before reassembly, then maybe it's not a big deal. But it can be a big deal if you need to get to work and the cars in pieces.

The 335i is a sweet ride and would be hard to turn down if the asking price isn't a problem.

Good luck!

Paul L

Thanks for your thoughts Paul!

If I did turn the E34 into a project, I'd have a second car, the 740i to keep me mobile. So I wouldn't be worried about having the car apart. That said, I'm the "drop it off and pick it up" type, so all the work on the car would be done by others. The power issue would be moot as it would get a turbo with approx 280 hp at the wheels.

As for the ride comfort issues, I've been in a stock E46 m3 and it's no less comfortable in the city than my E34 with Bilstein/Eibach, RD Sways and SO3s at 38 psi. If I got a 335i, it'd probably have coilovers on it within a year, so the ride comfort isnt an issue.

Your enthuisasm for the 335i is similar to mine. If only it were 5-10K cheaper it'd be a no brainer. With NICE E46 m3s going for mid 30s, spending an extra 10+K for a nicely loaded 335i seems like a ton of money just to get that new car smell.

Jon K
04-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks for your thoughts Paul!

If I did turn the E34 into a project, I'd have a second car, the 740i to keep me mobile. So I wouldn't be worried about having the car apart. That said, I'm the "drop it off and pick it up" type, so all the work on the car would be done by others. The power issue would be moot as it would get a turbo with approx 280 hp at the wheels.

As for the ride comfort issues, I've been in a stock E46 m3 and it's no less comfortable in the city than my E34 with Bilstein/Eibach, RD Sways and SO3s at 38 psi. If I got a 335i, it'd probably have coilovers on it within a year, so the ride comfort isnt an issue.

Your enthuisasm for the 335i is similar to mine. If only it were 5-10K cheaper it'd be a no brainer. With NICE E46 m3s going for mid 30s, spending an extra 10+K for a nicely loaded 335i seems like a ton of money just to get that new car smell.

Find yourself that E38 and turn your M20 into a 400 hp monster Alan. I'll help ya ;)

Alan_525i
04-22-2007, 03:32 PM
keep the E34 and drive it till it dies. car payments suck. and im sure u will have student loans to pay off unless you got a good scholarship. good luck with your choices.

True, I have loans, but they aren't too bad. I went to Temple where tuition is only 13K a year. I'd love to keep the E34 till it dies (REALLY!) the only thing holding me back is the total impracticality (financial and otherwise) of keeping two cars in philadelphia.

the 740 will likely put you in the same position you are with your e34 in a couple of years. I would say either hodl the e34 and get an e92 m3 or get a 335 now and live life while reasonable aged.

The 740i would be kept for 3-4 years. It wouldn't be modded. I would have no trouble letting go of it for something newer at that point.