PDA

View Full Version : AC clutch electrical component?

beetos
04-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Hi, I was having problems with my AC magnetic clutch showing a short and traced it down to a small black square electrical component bolted to the compressor housing. It was shorting the signal. It has since been removed and the clutch works ok, but there is a lot of electrical interference now in the stereo. I suspect it was a capacitor of some sort but was hoping someone could confirm and maybe what type / etc. I would need to replace it from an electronics outfit.
Cheers.

winfred
04-22-2007, 08:52 AM
if i remember right it's a diode to keep the dirty ac voltage made by the pulley/coil out of the electrical system

you can probably score one from a junkyard for cheep if you have access to a you pull it type yard, just about any of them will work

beetos
04-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Ahhhh! that makes sense. I guess any diode that will support the current should work.

Thanks.

Ferret
04-23-2007, 05:35 AM
Ahhhh! that makes sense. I guess any diode that will support the current should work.

Thanks.

Lol, just make sure you install it 'backwards' or else you'll have two smoking terminals and a rather nasty burned silicon (sp?) smell :P