PDA

View Full Version : Interior fan fuse melted...

Phil Sanderson
04-20-2007, 01:45 PM
...in my 540i with climate control all the plastic off the 30amp fuse that runs the blower fan for a/c and heater has melted away completely but the metal prongs stayed plugged in. The fuse didn't blow at all and the interior fan for the a/c and heater still works. Its also melted the fuse box where the fuse plugs in and has affected the fuse next to it (melted). Since finding this I have removed the remainder of the fuse.

Winfred, you mentioned earlier this week that you replaced the climate control unit in the dirty 525 which fixed a current draw. Do you think that I may have a similar problem to this?

regards
Phil

myles
04-20-2007, 08:03 PM
I once had a problem like that with another fuse. I replaced it and the new one (same amperage rating) hasn't had a problem since. I thought the resistance of the old fuse had changed due to corrosion therefore causing the excessive heat.

winfred
04-20-2007, 08:35 PM
different problem completely from what i did, you either had a crap fuse that failed just enough to create resistance (aka heat) and nuke the connection, or the blower motor is drawing too much and the weak point that is the fuse melted, id run a draw test on the blower and see what it's pulling, they can crap out and sneak up on the fuse without popping it but still work good enough to not alert you they are dieing

Phil Sanderson
04-20-2007, 10:33 PM
different problem completely from what i did, you either had a crap fuse that failed just enough to create resistance (aka heat) and nuke the connection, or the blower motor is drawing too much and the weak point that is the fuse melted, id run a draw test on the blower and see what it's pulling, they can crap out and sneak up on the fuse without popping it but still work good enough to not alert you they are dieing.