PDA

View Full Version : help, oil coming from vacum hose......?

525iE500
04-20-2007, 11:42 AM
My 95 525i has a hose coming out of the side of the motor and goes into the rubber intake elbow that connects the air flow meter and the throttle body.

What appears to be motor oil is leaking from the hose where it connects to the intake elbow. This can't be good. Anyone know whats going on? The dipstick is not showing any oil loss and there is none on my garage floor. I just noticed this today.

I have the lifter tapping noise that comes and goes, just had a service 2, the car has 134k miles on it, always serviced at proper intervals since new.

Please help..................

DaveVoorhis
04-20-2007, 12:14 PM
The rubber intake boot is very likely cracked and should be replaced. A small amount of oil vapour being sucked through the crankcase ventilation hose is normal. When the intake boot cracks, intake vacuum is reduced and the oil vapour pools in the boot and drizzles out through the crack.

E34-520iSE
04-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Is there LOTS of oil or just a light coating? Remove,clean & inspect all the oily bits and see if the oil comes back. It's probably nothing to worry about.

HTH,

Shaun M

525iE500
04-20-2007, 12:24 PM
Is there LOTS of oil or just a light coating? Remove,clean & inspect all the oily bits and see if the oil comes back. It's probably nothing to worry about.

HTH,

Shaun M

Not a lot of oil. Sounds like it's cracked and leaking a little. I didn't know it was normal to have a little drizzle of oil being sucked through there.

Ross
04-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Oil vapor really, crankcase blowby and oil mist from inside the motor.

525iE500
04-20-2007, 02:04 PM
the tapping noise that sounds like a lifter?

DaveVoorhis
04-20-2007, 03:08 PM
... the tapping noise that sounds like a lifter?
Probably not.

KenB
04-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Dave is exactly right...

I just replaced my intake boot yesterday and found the same, the boot was cracked where both hoses underneath joined in and some oil was seeping out. New boot was less than $25 from AutohausAZ,

I was also going to replace bigger hose on the right side of boot but couldn't get to the clamp under the intake manifold, need to get at it from underneath on a lift I think.

Morgenster
04-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Dave is exactly right...

I just replaced my intake boot yesterday and found the same, the boot was cracked where both hoses underneath joined in and some oil was seeping out. New boot was less than $25 from AutohausAZ,

I was also going to replace bigger hose on the right side of boot but couldn't get to the clamp under the intake manifold, need to get at it from underneath on a lift I think.

It's doable if you disconnect your ICV and take it out with that hose attached. Mine was clamped onto the ICV with some sort of crimp clam that just wouldn't get off so I didn't touch it and removed the ICV with that hose attached.
I don't think going from underneath would be any easier.