PDA

View Full Version : clicking noise from relay

Fraz06
04-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Hey guys, There is a really annoying clicking noise coming from the air conditioning relay, anybody any idea's what could be wrong and how to fix this ? as my battery is getting drained ain't sure if that would be related to the clicking noise from the relay or not. Thanks in advance guys

Fraser

pingu
04-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Why not unplug the relay and see what happens?

Also, you haven't filled out a profile (there are various stickies on this) so it's anyone's guess what car you have. Is it a BMW? ;-)

Fraz06
04-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Hey, its a 89 520i, when i unplug the relay the noise goes but i need the air conditioning to work cos of the hot weather so im forced to put the relay back in to get the air conditioning on

pingu
04-21-2007, 06:43 PM
I think it's probably easiest to replace the relay and see what happens. To find the power drain, put a current meter in series with the battery (careful!) and pull fuses one at a time until the drain stops - you've then found your power drain.

Fraz06
04-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Hey Thanks for the reply, just went out to the car and replaced the relay, still getting that annoying noise grrrr lol, noticed that the electric mirrors stopped working, so went to check out the fuse and the fuse for the electric mirrors has blown, so replaced it, suspect that is were i was getting the power drain so fingers crossed replacing the fuse has sorted out the power drain lol. Still getting that clicking noise from the relay even tho its a new relay i replaced the original one with, any idea's what is causing this clicking sound ? and how i fix it ?

Fraser

baksa
04-25-2007, 07:06 AM
Hey Thanks for the reply, just went out to the car and replaced the relay, still getting that annoying noise grrrr lol, noticed that the electric mirrors stopped working, so went to check out the fuse and the fuse for the electric mirrors has blown, so replaced it, suspect that is were i was getting the power drain so fingers crossed replacing the fuse has sorted out the power drain lol. Still getting that clicking noise from the relay even tho its a new relay i replaced the original one with, any idea's what is causing this clicking sound ? and how i fix it ?

Fraser

I also get clicking sound when I give contact but it seems that sound comes somewhere from around ABS but I don't think there are any relays down there. Maybe clicking sound comes from fuse box where all relays are (I should check that), but it stops when I start the car or disengage contact with key.