PDA

View Full Version : PITA couple of days...

MTV
04-20-2007, 12:12 AM
My fuel pump died on me last Tuesday on my way to work. PITA but needed the time off from work anyway to catch up on some other things I had to take care of. Called BMA and was given a cool deal on an original Bosch fuel pump for $199 plus tax... listed on their site at $247. Not bad considering the pump averages $260. Thanks Yves!

Took about 1.5 hours to get the repairs done. But when I tried to fire her up the battery died on me. So I had to jump start her... next thing I know the radio is asking me for the code which did not come with the car when I first got her. Aaaarghhh!!! Another PITA... Wait the next day and go the the local BMW stealer to get the code after pulling the radio for the serial number. 2 minutes later I walk out of the stealer with the code punch it in and... yup you guessed it nothing. Tried again BEEP nothing... So I go to work park the car and leave the ignition in the number 1 position for a little over an hour... punch in the code again and presto it works.

This forum has been a great help when our E34's decide to take the day off every now and again. Used the search tool and got most of the answers right away. Of course it is also an advantage to have the Bentley handy.

Thanks! :D

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-20-2007, 02:44 AM
At least you knew that you had to have the car on to run that hour down.

I checked the manual & it just said an hour wait ??? tried several times..parked, disconnected the battery...then finally drove around for a weekend thinking my radio was FUBAR'd because it wouldn't take the code. And after an hour of driving, I re entered the code and it worked...aaah no Ebay replacement for me!

e34musician
04-20-2007, 12:32 PM
How did you find out quickly it was the fuel pump?

My fuel pump died on me last Tuesday on my way to work. PITA but needed the time off from work anyway to catch up on some other things I had to take care of. Called BMA and was given a cool deal on an original Bosch fuel pump for $199 plus tax... listed on their site at $247. Not bad considering the pump averages $260. Thanks Yves!

Took about 1.5 hours to get the repairs done. But when I tried to fire her up the battery died on me. So I had to jump start her... next thing I know the radio is asking me for the code which did not come with the car when I first got her. Aaaarghhh!!! Another PITA... Wait the next day and go the the local BMW stealer to get the code after pulling the radio for the serial number. 2 minutes later I walk out of the stealer with the code punch it in and... yup you guessed it nothing. Tried again BEEP nothing... So I go to work park the car and leave the ignition in the number 1 position for a little over an hour... punch in the code again and presto it works.

This forum has been a great help when our E34's decide to take the day off every now and again. Used the search tool and got most of the answers right away. Of course it is also an advantage to have the Bentley handy.

Thanks! :D

MTV
04-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Blitzkrieg Bob - The Search tool is a great help for us DIY'ers. Just need to be patient and do some research.

e34musician - I have a friend who works at a great indy shop and he gave me a check list of what to check for. The basics... fuse, fuel pump relay, and finally rap on the under side of your fuel tank where the pump is located with the wooden end of a hammer while the key is in the number 2 position. Do not start the engine just keep the lights all lit up. After doing this try and start the car. If it starts keep it running for awhile... turn it off and try again. If it dies after awhile the fuel pump is toast. If it starts up the pump could be on its last leg. Better be safe than sorry and replace it ASAP.

:)

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Blitzkrieg Bob - The Search tool is a great help for us DIY'ers. Just need to be patient and do some research.

We don't need no stink'n search button.

markus
04-20-2007, 11:32 PM
atleat ur valve body didnt take a ****. im stuck driving a POS ford taurus

MTV
04-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Blitzkrieg Bob - True but every now and again it comes in handy.

markus - I know how you feel I had to use a banged 1985 Toyota P/U for a week before I had time to replace my radiator.

:)