PDA

View Full Version : Engine removal install at shop...

aston_jag_tech
04-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Any expert advice here??

Was thinking of dropping the engine with the subframe what do you guys think???

yaofeng
04-20-2007, 08:48 AM
If you have a shop lift it is probably easy to leave the drive train on the floor and raise the car. For weekend mechanics like myself who does it on his driveway with an engine lift, no such luxury is afforded. I did both the M60 and the M50 from the top.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_540/DSC_3379.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_525i/DSC_1570.jpg

winfred
04-20-2007, 09:15 AM
generally a pain in the ass to drop out the bottom plus it imobileizes the car, the only one i drop out the bottom is a 850 volvo as it's a bitch to take out the top, when i have one that's too long to take out together i drop the tranny then pull the engine out the top (just did that on a 960 volvo this week) e36 325s usually requier this, gotta loose the steering shaft too as it has a fight with the oil pan

gtopaul
04-21-2007, 08:00 AM
Out the bottom is the only way we do them at the dealership. That's really the easiest way to get them out if you have a lift available. We put them up in the air and drop the engine and transmission together onto a heavy duty shop dolly. The dolly elevates which makes things easier. Simple job to fix what needs fixing, slide dolly back under car, raise and attach.

Paul

aston_jag_tech
04-23-2007, 07:54 PM
THanks guys...Im going to pull it out the top. I spent a little bit after work removing the exhuast manifold nuts from studs, a/c comp, p/s pump, air intake boots, drained coolant, removed fan, etc. All thats is left is steering shaft link, trans bolts and pull the radiator out. whoop whoop...

yaofeng
04-23-2007, 08:09 PM
You don't touch the steering shaft link. Just separate the PS pump from the engine. Also you can pull the engine and transmission as a unit. It is easier that way.

aston_jag_tech
04-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Steering shaft link-my fault. You only pull that if dropping out the bottom yeah? I think engine only will be quicker. After the bolts are removed from the flexplate from the trq conv. and the bellhousing, im set to lift it out.
Plus I dont want to touch my rusted to **** exhaust yet, driveshaft issues. one problem at a time ;)

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-23-2007, 09:43 PM
is a big help on the hoist

aston_jag_tech
04-23-2007, 09:45 PM
yah thoseare great. Im suprised this is soooooo easy to remove ****. So much room!! I love it!!

winfred
04-23-2007, 10:52 PM
the steering shaft is only in the way on a 6 cylinder e36, the oil pan almost wraps around it and i've busted pans and racks on **** cars trying to prybar the engine around the bastard

Steering shaft link-my fault. You only pull that if dropping out the bottom yeah? I think engine only will be quicker. After the bolts are removed from the flexplate from the trq conv. and the bellhousing, im set to lift it out.
Plus I dont want to touch my rusted to **** exhaust yet, driveshaft issues. one problem at a time ;)

aston_jag_tech
04-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Piece of cake baby...Engine out. swapped all parts needed to swap over....BUT!!! Checking everything over one last time. I saw that the rear freeze plug was rusty......So I scrapped it with a screw driver and she got wet..oooweeeee! That was a road block..well not as bad as CARQUEST supplying me with the wrong freeze plug for the rear. BOOOO. Flushed it best I could and then I used brass by the way. Steels rust(duh)