PDA

View Full Version : Tranny!

Roderick
04-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Had the filter and fluid changed in my 95 540i with 107,xxx miles, it had the famous whinning sound. After the change the car shifts fine, but still has the whinning sound when I first drive the car about 1 mile or less. If the car temp is at half, the car runs like a champ with no whinning. I replaced the fluid with Penzoil Muti-ATF and it used 8 quarts. I will just live with this, I love this car. any ideas on what else I may have to do?

BillionPa
04-18-2007, 08:34 PM
luckily you changed the fluid early. change it again after 30K miles

if you can find out which part is causing the whining, then you can replace or repair it, but you need to take it apart first.

632 Regal
04-18-2007, 09:36 PM
the whining is because the "O" ring supplied with the filter is too small. Either double them up or get the right O ring, dont change that fluid out yet as it can shock the system.

another note, it's cool others are testing non recommended fluids for us, after membership drops we will se the results.

Mr._Graybeard
04-19-2007, 03:25 AM
Hi Roderick, I wonder if you used a factory filter/O ring kit or aftermarket. If your filter didn't say Filtran on the back, you got a cheapo.

Buy a real filter kit from BMW or Jaggi or Kirt Koeller. Your dealer is probably easiest. The $45 is worth getting the right hardware. The aftermarket parts market is full of crap these days, lots of counterfeit stuff from the Fourth World. Somehow much of it seems to end up at the Big Box auto parts vendors. Not that everything they sell is shite, but this is a part of the car you don't want to be digging into that often.

That said, my personal opinion is that multinational petroleum companies like Royal Dutch Shell, owner of the Pennzoil/Quaker State brands among others, has the research capability to produce a transmission fluid that's compatible with the 5HP30 transmission used in numerous European cars. I've been using Pennzoil MultiVehicle ATF myself, and I know I'm not alone. My personal opinion is: if you do not have a Filtran kit in the car now, drain the fluid and replace the filter and o-ring. Then, in 5K-10K miles do another drain and fill. With three drains and refills you should have nearly 100% fresh fluid in the sump.

Frankly, I've also come to suspect that Shell's OE product in the 5hp30s wasn't that great. It wasn't the OE fill for all that long before Esso came along, and a lot of the transmissions from the period seem to need valve body rebuilds at a relatively youthful point. That's my personal opinion. I also worry about the TCM circuitry, but that's another topic.

stargazer_61
04-19-2007, 07:25 AM
Where did you have the work done? If it was the dealer, I'm sure they would have used the Filtran. Anywhere else and it would be questionable at best.

Mr. Graybeard is correct. Drive it 5-10k then change it again. If you aren't doing the work yourself then buy the filter from the dealer and take it with you for the next change and make sure they use it. He passed this same advice to me and I followed it. I did my own fluid/filter change last week, for which I still need to do a write-up, and was terrified of the dreaded "trans program" upon startup. By following his advice and other steps I found on the 'net, I didn't. The trans shifts better than it did, but still needs at least one more change. It is a nasty job but after doing it once it will be much easier.

shogun
04-19-2007, 08:25 AM
I am using cheap Chevron stuff on my 4HP24, but change every 6 months, so about 3 litres come out of the tranny and new 3 litres come in. DIY
http://8810.teacup.com/750hiline/img/bbs/0000543.jpg

12 Pack Case of Dexron III/Mercon ATF (Costco has Chevron brand ATF for abt $10.oo/ case)

Roderick
04-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Yes, I did get the filter from the BMW dealer, the mechanic( not BMW), but a import shop that worked on the car said it had the original filter in the tranny stamped 1994. I did notice that the o-ring seemed very small in the sealed pack that came with the kit, I did order a extra ring though. I do have a aftermarket and the o-ring in the kit is twice the size of the BMW ring?

Mr._Graybeard
04-20-2007, 01:41 AM
Re-reading your original post, I wonder if the shop didn't underfill the transmission a little bit. When the fluid warms up as you drive it expands, filling the sump to the point where it doesn't whine anymore.

If the car wasn't allowed to cool down fully before the fresh fluid was pumped in, it would be pretty easy to underfill.

I'd take the car back and ask them to check the fluid level with the transmission stone cold.

bmwrp8
04-20-2007, 01:52 AM
I am using cheap Chevron stuff on my 4HP24, but change every 6 months, so about 3 litres come out of the tranny and new 3 litres come in. DIY
http://8810.teacup.com/750hiline/img/bbs/0000543.jpg

12 Pack Case of Dexron III/Mercon ATF (Costco has Chevron brand ATF for abt $10.oo/ case)

shogun a quick question...I too am using a cheap DextronIII ATF and changed all 8lit. just about 2months ago...I'm planning to change it again soon but with a synthetic one...Do I have to drain all the ATF again incl.the ATF in T.converter or its ok to just drain the 3 lit.then put 3lit of syn.ATF?

shogun
04-20-2007, 02:12 AM
Sorry, no experience on this.
I am quite happy with the Chevron Dextron III/Mercon.
Actually I think no need to change to more expensive stuff, better change the fluid more often.

No problem for me at all, have 3 more trannies on stand-by from my parts cars.
Just repaired one with new balls for the valve body.

bmwrp8
04-20-2007, 02:19 AM
If by using the cheap ATF DextronIII,I have to change it every 3months?or if ever I could go longer whats the max I could go before I have to change?still speaking of the safe side though...

shogun
04-20-2007, 03:00 AM
Well better not talk about months but about miles or kms.
Honestly, I have not enough experience.
I am driving 10 k km per year and change it every year, but for sure every 2 years would also be o.k. I just have a look at the oil how it looks.
My friend has another E32 750, he drives 40-50 k per year for business.
He is changing every 6 month these about 3 litres which come out. Let's say all is changed then in 2 changes and 50 k km.

The original fluid I had inside from BMW I changed the first time after 120 k km, still looked fine.
I am not a tranny expert, but what I read they recommend it after 60 k or so, but that also depends on driving conditions.
Remember, once BMW talked about lifetime tranny fluid.

Mabye you google a bit and find recommedations.

Here in the Corvette Forum they mention 30-40 k miles invervals accdg to ZF
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1681178

That might be a good idea.

BTW: as engine oil I use Fuchs Titan from Germany
http://www.sandegaard.no/kataloger/fuchs%20katalog%202005.pdf

bmwrp8
04-20-2007, 03:20 AM
thanks..big help:D

Tiger
04-20-2007, 08:50 AM
I think the filter O-ring is bad or too small. Change the oring to the thicker one. Refilling is NOT done when COLD. It is actually done in warm transmission. With car running in idle... keep filling until fluids come back out... and then that's done.

Bill R.
04-20-2007, 09:50 AM
the filter, oring or fluid level or a combination of all of the above. Here is the bulletin and part numbers.

Had the filter and fluid changed in my 95 540i with 107,xxx miles, it had the famous whinning sound. After the change the car shifts fine, but still has the whinning sound when I first drive the car about 1 mile or less. If the car temp is at half, the car runs like a champ with no whinning. I replaced the fluid with Penzoil Muti-ATF and it used 8 quarts. I will just live with this, I love this car. any ideas on what else I may have to do?

Roderick
04-20-2007, 04:14 PM
I did notice the next day after the fluid change, there was a small leak of tranny fluid (very small amount) coming from where you add the fluid. Call the shop and the mechanic said to watch this a few days and if there is still a leak to bring the car back, also he said the he used the old seal or gasket from the fill plug. I will be taking the car back monday to see if we can take care of this, also the message about the whine I left this in the car with the filter and fluid so the mechanic could see. He said he could tighten the fill plug some more. I'm concern if the leak maybe the cause of the cold whine and would it be a good idea to drop the pan/oil again with less than a 100 miles on the maintanance. like I mention this is the original BMW filter kit with a extra o-ring I ordered.

stargazer_61
04-21-2007, 04:02 AM
Hey Roderick,

Not trying to hijack your thread, but I have noticed the same whine after changing mine. Have you also had any upshifting issues? When I stomp on it to kick it down to pass or get on the expresway, it does not upshift back when I let off the throttle. I have to take my foot off the pedal, put it in "N", let the revs settle down then back to "D" for it to upshift. Yes, I know this is bad to do, but I'm only trying to diagnose it. Anyone else have any ideas? Fluid level?

Tiger
04-21-2007, 09:41 AM
What fluid did you use? I suspect you got the same O-ring problem.

stargazer_61
04-22-2007, 05:59 AM
What fluid did you use? I suspect you got the same O-ring problem.

Tiger,

I used Amsoil Universal ATF. It is a full synthetic and compatible with LA2634. I also used the BMW filter kit, ordered from the dealer. Filtran filter, new bolts, o-ring.

Tiger
04-22-2007, 10:47 AM
I still suspect the o-ring since you got a whine after you installed new filter and you didn't have the whine before. Was the tranny topped out while running? Could be low fluid.

stargazer_61
04-23-2007, 07:23 AM
I still suspect the o-ring since you got a whine after you installed new filter and you didn't have the whine before. Was the tranny topped out while running? Could be low fluid.

I topped it off while NOT running. Oops! I'll put it back up and check it again. Should doubling up on the o-ring deal with the whine?

Tiger
04-23-2007, 09:00 AM
Top it up while running and tranny warm... not hot. Do this first before you decide to drop the pan. Double up just increase the leakage possibility... just get the right oring... Do the fluid first and see what happens.

Ferret
04-23-2007, 09:27 AM
Top it up while running and tranny warm... not hot. Do this first before you decide to drop the pan. Double up just increase the leakage possibility... just get the right oring... Do the fluid first and see what happens.

Can someone explain this noise sounds like to me?

While moving off, my auto box makes a very gentle, fluidic whine sound - both of the 5spd auto's I've had have done it... and both sometimes dont shift up out of first when you really stand on the gas pedal... you have to back off slightly before the thing will shift...?

Tiger
04-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Sounds the same to me... top off your fluid with engine running...

Roderick
04-23-2007, 12:16 PM
I took the car back today to have them look at the small leak, that was coming from where the fill plug is. They said the seal was pinched some and that what was causing the leak, while they pulled the fill plug I asked the mechanic if the car lights or a/c had to be on to add fluid and he said no. They only had to add very little before it started to come back out. Looking at the way they answered my questions, I ask myself did the do the process correctly? Will see if the car will have the whine in the morning when I first drive the car.

Tiger
04-23-2007, 12:18 PM
How little is very little?

stargazer_61
04-23-2007, 01:23 PM

Thanks, Tiger. I'll do that.

Roderick
04-23-2007, 03:45 PM
About a dime size light film, just drove the car after letting it cool down for about 3 hours. The whine is still there until about 2min. of driving ?

MBXB
05-01-2007, 01:46 AM
Stargazer, Roderick,

Did either of you do the shogun reboot after the change?
I'm getting the same whining, and funny shift. I seem to remember having seen a post on rebooting the car using the shogun method.
That's next when I have time.

Hey Roderick,

Not trying to hijack your thread, but I have noticed the same whine after changing mine. Have you also had any upshifting issues? When I stomp on it to kick it down to pass or get on the expresway, it does not upshift back when I let off the throttle. I have to take my foot off the pedal, put it in "N", let the revs settle down then back to "D" for it to upshift. Yes, I know this is bad to do, but I'm only trying to diagnose it. Anyone else have any ideas? Fluid level?

stargazer_61
05-01-2007, 06:51 AM
Stargazer, Roderick,

Did either of you do the shogun reboot after the change?
I'm getting the same whining, and funny shift. I seem to remember having seen a post on rebooting the car using the shogun method.
That's next when I have time.

Doh! Thanks for the reminder. Yeah, I have to do the reboot still. But the shifting has settled down now to normal and much smoother than it was before. Now I can romp on it and it upshifts fine.