PDA

View Full Version : Wrecked car at a Body Shop, help me got some parts!!

thejapino
04-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Hey fellas! Im in need of advice. I was leaving work when I saw what I thought was an e34 with quarter panel damage sitting in a lot behind a fence. I parked to get a close look and what I found: a '95 e34 w/ 17" Style 5's - smashed in the rear. I asked around and was told that a body shop rents the lot to store cars there. Off to the body shop I go. I asked the receptionist if it was possible to talk to someone about a car in the yard. She asked which one and I said the Bimmer. She asked some salesperson/paperpusher lady in the back if it was OK to get parts and she said no.

My rationale is this: The car looks so bad that I know its a total loss. I want the hood and grill. I know they are gonna sell the car to a salvage yard. Is there someone I should talk to on the inside about trading my clean small-grill & hood for their clean large grill & hood before it goes to the junker? If so who would I talk to? I would even kick down some cash for the trade!

Does anybody know how the whole body shop to salvage yard process work so that they could give me insight to how I could make this happen? Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!! I really want the big grill. They are even similar in color.

Jason

632 Regal
04-18-2007, 06:06 PM
go back and talk to the owner or manager.

Qube
04-19-2007, 12:41 AM
I concur. Keep rattling the cage and someone will squeak.

thejapino
04-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks guys. I'll show my persistance and hopefully it'll work out.

steve0suprem0
04-19-2007, 04:34 PM
good luck and hey if you're on the west coast, pick me up the driver side fender.

Kalevera
04-19-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm missing something here -- why would a body shop just give away parts off of a car that's sitting in the lot?

LunatiC
04-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Kalevera, you are indeed missing something. He said a swap from his narrow grille parts to wide grille parts, and is thinking of throwing some cash into the deal as well.

Definitely not just "giving away parts".

thejapino
04-19-2007, 09:01 PM
I talked to a bodyman who pointed me to the direction of the estimater handling the car. He said even though the car is still in the possession of the shop, it is on the insurance now. I told him my situation and he totally understood. However, because it was in the insurance company's hands, they would never understand and send the car to the wreckers anyway.

He suggested two things: follow up on what wrecking yard it would be sent to or get in contact with the owner of the car. I know that if I go the the junkyard, they would charge alot for a hood and grill. I left a message and my # to the owner saying I want to trade grills and a hood. Hopefully he/she is an E34 nut like me and is willing to help out a fellow roundel guy. Im still gonna bug the shop everyday anyways. Wish me luck fellas!

Any idea on where to get 1 17" style 5 rim? Three are immaculate but one is DONE! Thanks

Jason

thejapino
04-24-2007, 09:22 PM
So the owner called me back. He said it would be ok to switch the parts on one condition: It had to be done TODAY! I would get off work at 4:15p and the shop closes the lot at 5:00p.

I had to work smart. Since I was on my lunch break, I started to do what I could to make the swap easier. I removed the small grill and unhooked the squirters and wiring under my hood. By the time i got off work, I was busy. My girlfriend even helped by holding one side of the hood while I bolted it up! By 5:00 i had all of the small grill parts on the salvaged car and had the big grill hood on my car. The big grill and surrounds were sitting on the passenger seat when I left the lot. I got home and finished the job, rinsed off the hood and:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f61/thejapino/BigGrill.jpg
Not bad for $100 and a core exchange!

thejapino
04-24-2007, 09:23 PM
I want to go back and take the fog light lenses if the car is still there tomorrow.

LunatiC
04-24-2007, 09:43 PM
In all its glory! Welcome to the big boys' club :)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f61/thejapino/BigGrill.jpg

Denton
04-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Very nice. :D

Snag those projector fogs! And ellips while you're at it!

Ross
04-25-2007, 08:18 AM
Lucky find, matching color and all.
Some poor sap now orders a '95 front clip from the boneyard and gets a narrow grille.

thejapino
04-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Haha. Poor guy. The colors aren't exactly the same though. Mine is Island Green Metallic and this is a different shade (Dark Green II?). It has a bluer metallic flop to it. To the typical person, its the same but if you're analytical you'd be able to tell.

632 Regal
04-25-2007, 08:35 PM
sweet deal for 100 bucks, now you will have all the performance of a Nikisil enhanced E34.
Haha. Poor guy. The colors aren't exactly the same though. Mine is Island Green Metallic and this is a different shade (Dark Green II?). It has a bluer metallic flop to it. To the typical person, its the same but if you're analytical you'd be able to tell.

E34 530
04-25-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm REALLY surprised they let you snag those parts. Usually when insurance gets involved in any situation, they don't want to hear ****, no matter what the case.

LunatiC
04-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Mine is Island Green Metallic and this is a different shade (Dark Green II?).

Oxford Green?

thejapino
04-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Once I found out it was up to insurance, I started to have doubts. I didn't want to get my hopes up so I kept telling myself it wasn't going to happen, but keep trying anyway. I kept trying and asked the right people and it all worked out. Paul, the estimator didn't have to help me at all. Its good to know there are still people out there that are willing to hear you out.

Im not sure if it was Oxford green. I was too excited to check the color code. BTW the car was taken today and I couldn't get anymore parts. Oh well, I still came up!

Denton
04-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Once I found out it was up to insurance, I started to have doubts. I didn't want to get my hopes up so I kept telling myself it wasn't going to happen, but keep trying anyway. I kept trying and asked the right people and it all worked out. Paul, the estimator didn't have to help me at all. Its good to know there are still people out there that are willing to hear you out.

Im not sure if it was Oxford green. I was too excited to check the color code. BTW the car was taken today and I couldn't get anymore parts. Oh well, I still came up!

It's Oxford Green.

Paint the front clip now. :D