PDA

View Full Version : 540iA: fix? sell? need advice

hoser
04-17-2007, 10:43 PM
'95 540iA, just over 200k and I'm starting to have some doubts. I'd love to fix her up but time is $, this car needs both, and I have neither. So I was wondering how much you guys think it's worth, and if anyone might be interested in taking it on. I'll give you the straight poop, no sugar coating.

The good: Alusil block, replaced under warranty at 90k. I've owned it for three years since it had 120k on it, and have run only Mobil 1 full synthetic or Amsoil (euro blend) in it, changing every 3500 miles or so. Lately I've started going more like 5,000 between changes with the amsoil, changing the oil filter every 2500 and air filter every few months. Never ran that K&N crap (stock >> KN). I Replaced the valve cover gaskets a few months back. Radiator less than 1 year old. I've kept up with routine maintenance and very rarely driven hard, mostly cruising around 80mph to and from work.

The bad: Heater core issue. I tried some aluminum flakes. Didn't work. Nothing in the cockpit yet, just smelly vents. Needs shocks. Really needs sport springs and shocks, but that's another story. Front end, upper control arm bushings are probably bad (a little shimmy around 60-65). Slight rust, superficial but needs fixing soon. Needs exhaust - getting a tad raspy. Driver's window only goes down ~3 inches. I tried to fix it and determined things are all jacked up in there. Door striker is hosed too. And now for the kicker, I got the trans program error yesterday, went into limp mode, now it acts fine. So maybe needs a new speed controller, or a valve body job or whatever the hell you guys call it. Oh and the interior is decent, but not perfect.

All comments welcome. I'll post pics if I decide to sell. I'd love to fix it up myself, i think the motor is fantastic, but it's officially turning into a project, which is out of scope for me.:(

swenpro
04-17-2007, 11:14 PM
From what you've written, IMO you're looking at a car that could only fetch $3000 US. If you do all of your planned upgrades, you'll easily put that much more into the car and then some. Problem is, after all that work, it's still an automatic (unless you like that sort of transmission). I recommend get out of it now and find a lower mileage E34 with manual tranny. You can find one with under 100k mi in nice condition for $5500.

bbig119
04-18-2007, 06:42 AM
From what you've written, IMO you're looking at a car that could only fetch $3000 US. If you do all of your planned upgrades, you'll easily put that much more into the car and then some. Problem is, after all that work, it's still an automatic (unless you like that sort of transmission). I recommend get out of it now and find a lower mileage E34 with manual tranny. You can find one with under 100k mi in nice condition for $5500.

Hate to say it, but I agree given what you said.

hoser
04-18-2007, 08:10 AM
Thanks guys, that's about what I was thinking. I guess my next step would be to post the same info in the classified forum with pics. Or maybe drive it until something really bad happens, then part it out. Does homeowner's ins cover auto fires?:D

Ross
04-18-2007, 08:15 AM
Park it at the airport with the keys in it.

mikell
04-18-2007, 08:25 AM
If you can't afford to fix this one - 200k is not totally over the hill - how are you going to afford something else? Find a good indy shop and get a reliable inspection and estimate before you go overboard.

The only real serious thing you mentioned is the trans prog deal - mine did that once, about 100k miles ago, and not another hickup since.

But, if you MUST have another car for other reasons, go for it. There are some things you should never try to talk a guy out of doing, and buying a car is one of them.

Good luck.

kick7ca
04-18-2007, 08:39 AM
That's a toughy, but understand any other e34 you get will have similiar issues of it's own too. I was in the same boat as you until I committed to fix up my 535i, rather than start the saga all over again with another car.

Tiger
04-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Doesn't have time or money... well, You got to fix the window and the tranny to even trade in for a leased car assuming this is your primary vehicle. If not your primary vehicle, then I would say sell it but you would be losing something great... cheap reliable safe car.

If this is not your primary vehicle, why sell it? Surely you will eventually have time and money.