PDA

View Full Version : Trunk shocks

Macv
04-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Searched and didn't find anything...

I recently had to replace my trunk shocks -- today actually -- and I ran into an electrical problem. After replacing the old with the new, my lights in the trunk have become dim and have blown the fuse. I got the shocks from BMA using the RealOEM p/n, so I'm sure they're right. They're almost identicle to the hood shocks. Somehow they're causing a short in the lights. I'm confused.

They did spark when I was putting them on. Was I supposed to disconnect something beforehand?

How can I get the power back to the lights in the trunk?

Mac

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-17-2007, 03:57 PM
something is broken, probably a ground wires, due to the sparks when you connected the new struts.

632 Regal
04-17-2007, 06:17 PM
ditto
something is broken, probably a ground wires, due to the sparks when you connected the new struts.

Macv
04-17-2007, 06:57 PM
I don't exactly know where the trunk harness is, and it's kind of hard to look in there. Anyone have a shot of where it is?

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-17-2007, 07:10 PM
the driver's side trunk hinge arm...see that black plastic cover attched to the arm...follow it to where the wires get bent every time you oprn the trunk. That's the first spot to start at.

pull back any sheathing and expose the wires

Check the brown colored wires for damage first, since we suspect it's a ground problem.

Good luck

Macv
04-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Oh, trunk harness made me think of a box that all the wires went to. Guess I spaced a little.

Qube
04-17-2007, 11:37 PM
Uncover that and you'll find the usual wonderful gooey mess and some frayed wires. Just love rewrapping gooey old wiring :\